www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old May 3rd, 2010, 15:32   #1
night mission

Default Cheap(er) oil changes

New to diesels, VW and TDI's. Now own a 2005.5 Jetta TDI coming due to (my) first oil change. Have read a bit on this forum and was considering ordering a change kit involving Total Quartz Ineo MC3 5w30, a Mann filter, and a drain plug. If I buy two and ship to my home it will cost about $54 (each) less if I order more, because shipping per kit would be less. The VW dealer I contacted is doing it for $70 +tax. give or take $20 for labor. Anyone got a better (read cheaper) way to do a proper oil change, with the right stuff for less? I'm not sure 20 bucks is worth the hassle.
night mission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 16:17   #2
DoctorDawg
Veteran Member

I would agree with you that $20 doesn't justify the hassle....oil change plus clean-up plus associated nosing around takes me about an hour, and my time is worth a lot more than $20/hr. But for most of us its not about saving money, its about knowing the job was done right and maintaining some involvement with the guts of our cars. If that doesn't describe you, then paying to have it done makes perfect sense.
2009 Jetta TDI (Loyal Edition, Campi White, DSG, #1470, built 5/08): 56K miles and zero problems 1/16/2011.
WeatherTech deflectors, Dieselgeek skid plate (both A+)
My other diesel gets 120 MPG (minutes per gallon): Kubota 2630 w/ FEL
My other other diesel I don't even want to talk about (1995 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4)
DoctorDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 16:55   #3
ruking
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 62/50/44mpg, normal commute range 48-52 mpg:09 Jetta TDI, 47/43/39, normal commute range 39 -43 mpg: 12 Touareg TDI, 39/31/29 mpg:

Quote:
Originally Posted by night mission
New to diesels, VW and TDI's. Now own a 2005.5 Jetta TDI coming due to (my) first oil change. Have read a bit on this forum and was considering ordering a change kit involving Total Quartz Ineo MC3 5w30, a Mann filter, and a drain plug. If I buy two and ship to my home it will cost about $54 (each) less if I order more, because shipping per kit would be less. The VW dealer I contacted is doing it for $70 +tax. give or take $20 for labor. Anyone got a better (read cheaper) way to do a proper oil change, with the right stuff for less? I'm not sure 20 bucks is worth the hassle.
While what you are saying makes sense, I think it really depends on your time horizon.

So for example, you can get stuff shipped given a certain $ amount. Indeed I have gotten 10 pack Mann filters @ 4.50 per shipped.

Depending on whom you talk with, the recommendation can range from
1. change drain plug and washer
2. just the washer
3. re-use the washer and drain plug.
4. I have never had it off. I use an evacuation unit. 2 you may have heard 1. Pela 2. Mity Vac

Agains same thing for oil. Some will include shipping. I am sure the Total Ineo MC3 5w30 is VW 505.01?, PD engine.

There are threads that talk of using Mobil One 5w40 which is not PD specified but almost all acknowledge, it is one of the great oils for your PD engine, albeit not specified for the PD. It gives great bang for the buck. Another grey area is that 5w30 oils are really not good for your PD despite it being the new back ward compatible specification (among other things 45 to 75 % greater wear).

So for example, you can use any one of three Mobil One oils from your local Pep Boys 1. Mobil One 5w40 TDT 2. Mobil One ESP 5w30 VW 507.00 3. Mobil One ESP 5w40 MB 229.51. Two utilities here 1. locally available 2 not a lot of stock sitting on your shelf (think of a L of oil as a $10 dollar bill sitting on a shelf by how many L's) disadvantage 1 pay local taxation.

I use Mobil One 5w40 in a 03 TDI and have for 130,000 miles @ 20-25k OCI's. (1. better protection overall, 2.cheaper 3. no need for low saps)

I also use Total INEO 5w30 VW 507.00 because of warranty compliance. Afterwords, I will most likely switch to the Mobil One ESP 5w40 MB 229.51 specification.

All the best let us know what you decide.

Last edited by ruking; May 4th, 2010 at 07:19.
ruking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 18:31   #4
fossill
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Golf

Just make sure that whoever will be doing the service work has more than just half a clue........or you'll be sorry sooner or later.
fossill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 05:49   #5
kcfoxie
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: see fuelly

Do not use a 5w30, use a 5w40 oil. I like Mobil-1 Turbo Diesel Truck oil but I don't believe in my owner's manual.
Old May 5th, 2010, 18:13   #6
night mission

Thank you to all with advice. I have ordered a filter pack and will make a couple of more passes through the (never ending ) debate over " 505/01 complaint vs 505.01 equivalent or better". Stopped by Wally World today to see what was on the shelf and saw a lot of "almost" 505.01, just not on the label. Probably will do the Mobil 1 5w40 diesel truck product from WW unless I find Pep Boys either cheaper or carrying a true "505.01" at a reasonable price.
Looking forward to my first foray into basic Jetta TDI maintenance. Any suggestions appreciated!!
night mission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 08:15   #7
lkchris
Veteran Member

If 505.01 is not on the bottle it's not a suitable oil.

The fact you only change it every 10K miles is what makes it "cheap."
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 08:21   #8
Drivbiwire
Zehntes Jahr der Veteran

Fuel Economy: Who cares, it's a diesel!

The question is, is he changing it every 5K or every 10K?

I would recomend switching to M1 Turbo Diesel Truck and running 15K changes if he wants to lower his cost per mile in respect to oil changes.

Pull a sample at 15K and the odds are that he will safely be able to run 20K with a VERY nice reserve in respect to oil condition.

These cars were never meant to have the oil changed at 10K intervals much less every 5K. VW intended to be able to drive to as much as 30K (50,000 km) between oil and filter changes.
Drivbiwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 08:44   #9
740GLE
Veteran Member

proof from VW? other than an usuers UOA.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 09:11   #10
kcfoxie
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: see fuelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivbiwire

I would recomend switching to M1 Turbo Diesel Truck and running 15K changes if he wants to lower his cost per mile in respect to oil changes.

Pull a sample at 15K and the odds are that he will safely be able to run 20K with a VERY nice reserve in respect to oil condition.

These cars were never meant to have the oil changed at 10K intervals much less every 5K. VW intended to be able to drive to as much as 30K (50,000 km) between oil and filter changes.
Yeah but the countries where they do that, they have far better quality fuel.

However it's nice we agree that TDT is good in a PD.
Old May 6th, 2010, 11:13   #11
tditom
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Golf: 54/48/43.5 B4 Passat: 52/48.5/45 B5.5 Passat: 30 mpg mixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossill
Just make sure that whoever will be doing the service work has more than just half a clue........or you'll be sorry sooner or later.
ditto- the dealers oftentimes still don't know what oil is called for
Why I recommend fuel additive.
tditom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 11:16   #12
hid3
Banned

Quote:
Still, VW needs to go green that's why they can't encourage to change the oil more often. Seems like 10k intervals fro some PDs running poor quality american diesel fuel or biodiesel is blasting
hid3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 11:48   #13
andreigbs
Veteran Member

TDI(s): N/A

Quote:

X2

Couldn't have said it better. Run M1 TDT anywhere from 15-20K miles, rinse and repeat. Drive more worry less; my PD is purring along just fine close 130K miles, and chipped (RC1+). Great oil for the price, found almost everywhere. You won't be sorry.
Bora TDI // 146xxx miles // 42 MPG - sold
Jetta TDI // 317xxx miles // 44 MPG - sold
andreigbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 13:28   #14
hid3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreigbs
my PD is purring along just fine close 130K miles, and chipped (RC1+).
With by-pass filtration, right?
hid3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 13:39   #15
Drivbiwire
Zehntes Jahr der Veteran

Fuel Economy: Who cares, it's a diesel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcfoxie
Yeah but the countries where they do that, they have far better quality fuel.

However it's nice we agree that TDT is good in a PD.
US Spec fuel is now on par with other countries except for fuel lubricity which a seperate and easily remedied issue.

US Spec fuel is generally less than 10ppm sulfur translating into EXTREMELY clean burning diesels in a proper state of tune.

The PD engines since the injectors are partially lubricated with engine oil have a nice advantage in respect to durability especially if you additize the fuel side of the pump.
Drivbiwire is offline   Reply With Quote