Soooo, I bought a new '16 Touareg TDI

volksjaeger

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta Wagon, '15 Golf Sportwagen, '16 Touareg Lux
Didn't think I'd be driving one but since the EPA announced the fix and VW dealers were given the green light to sell them again it's been a mad dash to buy them.

Last edited:

Marty

TDI
2016 VW Touareg TDI Executive
Last edited by a moderator:

kerlyb

TDI
2015 Touareg
Sweet ride! You'll love it. Bet you got a great deal too. From your experience, are dealers willing to negotiate or "take it or leave it" pricing?

volksjaeger

Veteran Member
TDI
It's called Reef Blue.

Unfortunately I didn't get a deal on it. I was walking back from Costco and surprised to see a new TDI Touareg without plates in the parking lot so I called my dealer.

I bought two new '15 Golf TDI sportwagens w/ manual transmissions from this same dealer earlier this year. He told me the EPA OK'd the sale on the 11th and they had 7 that were released to be sold and 4 of them were gone already.

I told him I would drive there later that day to check it out. He then calls me back 5 minutes later and said that there was another customer that was ready to put a deposit on the car. Another 5 minutes goes by and he calls me again and said there was a 2nd customer working with another sales guy wanting to put a deposit on the car and that I needed to hold it with a $500 fully refundable credit card deposit right over the phone and that I needed to come right away so I went straight from Costco to the dealership an hour away.

I know you might think this is a sales tactic but from what I experienced and have heard from others the interest in this vehicle was legit. He also told me on the way over that they would only take MSRP since there were so many people interested in it. For me-- the color was the most important thing to me. Not being a fan of white or black I knew the chances of finding another brand new Reef Blue TDI might be a challenge. When I saw it in person it was absolutely stunning. Those pictures I posted don't actually do it justice. I went through the same mad dash with the GSW w/ manual transmissions earlier this year so that was fresh in my mind. If you don't act fast you could lose out and if they don't ever bring these back... well that's that.

After driving this around for a few days I can already say I'm in love with it and I'm glad I bought it-- even though it was $59k+. There's nothing quite like it. It's basically a sporty Porsche Cayenne (and $12k cheaper) with school bus torque. Love it!

Last edited:

volksjaeger

Veteran Member
TDI
Two weeks ago, my wife and I purchased a 2012 VW Touareg TDI Executive (the color is Moonlight Blue Pearl)
Wow that is a very pretty blue. I can tell it probably looks different in different lighting settings. Love that interior color too. Very unusual and not the typical black or beige.

And would you believe I had the same Costco sized package of toilet paper with me when I came back from the dealer as I drove straight from Costco to my dealer and drove the Touareg back home. LoL

Conclusion based on this small sample size: People who save money on bulk toilet paper can afford to buy a Touareg.

Last edited:

volksjaeger

Veteran Member
TDI
thats my dream machine right there...love the blue

2012 Highline Touareg v6 TDI - 8spd - Silver - Weathertechs - Buzzken Downpipe/Dpf/Scr Pipes - Hybrid 2260 - 4 Bar Map - JR Auto Performance/Buzzken Stage 3 Tune - 31 BFG k02s - Cayenne Trans Coding - Gutted/Painted Muffler
I am paying close attention to all the mods you did on your TReg. I'm guessing a tune is the first order of business? I don't even see 2016 Treg TDI's listed on the JR Auto site for tuning.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
I am paying close attention to all the mods you did on your TReg. I'm guessing a tune is the first order of business? I don't even see 2016 Treg TDI's listed on the JR Auto site for tuning.
the 2016 engine is unchanged since the 2013 update..they can tune it for you...i highly suggest it, your right i hit a deer and have a grand Cherokee and i hate it...your right nothing is like the touareg sporty and strong

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Love that color! Great ride. But wow, I can't believe there is enough demand that they can get MSRP. They can be had used for so much less money. Of course, I've never seen a Reef Blue one anywhere. Even a gasser.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
thats nothing a new reef blue tdi 2016 here would be closer to 70...used ones last hours forsale at a big price....they go like crazy here and for good reason...i havent found anything that can do all a touareg does handling, power, comfort, mpg, build quality.

volksjaeger

Veteran Member
TDI
Here's the monroney label. Does anyone know what the extended warranty is on the emissions systems? I know for the '15 GSW TDI it was some crazy long warranty like 100k miles.

Marty

TDI
Wow that is a very pretty blue. I can tell it probably looks different in different lighting settings. Love that interior color too. Very unusual and not the typical black or beige.

And would you believe I had the same Costco sized package of toilet paper with me when I came back from the dealer as I drove straight from Costco to my dealer and drove the Touareg back home. LoL

Conclusion based on this small sample size: People who save money on bulk toilet paper can afford to buy a Touareg.

LOL! This post made me laugh! Thank you! ?

Marty

TDI
Love that color! Great ride. But wow, I can't believe there is enough demand that they can get MSRP. They can be had used for so much less money. Of course, I've never seen a Reef Blue one anywhere. Even a gasser.

Within one week (actually five days) of the emissions ‘fix’ being applied to the three 2016 Touareg TDIs our local dealer had, all three were sold. Of course, my wife and I purchased one...why? There simply isn’t any other vehicle which comes close to its capabilities, refinement, fuel economy, or price.

mizzn44

TDI
'02 Jetta
WOW, sticker. I'm going to go drive a new '16 tomorrow. I would love to have the car, but zero chance I'll drop anywhere near sticker. Of course if demand is there it'll sell. Awesome car!

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I stopped at my local dealer today....all 4 they had on the lot new were all sold and sales guy said they got no deals

volksjaeger

Veteran Member
TDI
The current deal is 15% off MSRP for the 2016s. We bought one on Friday for a little less than that.
Well done and congrats on snagging one! I am sure it's region specific and probably not as many gazillionaires in the rest of the US as there are here in the SF Bay Area that can afford a $50k+ two year old already SUV. In retrospect I probably could have saved $5k by finding one out of state even after transportation costs. I knew I didn't want black or white... even at a hefty discount. Out of curiosity which color did you get?

Hope everyone gets one.

Last edited:

NewLyme

Veteran Member
TDI
His 2006 Jetta TDI DSG. Hers 2016 Touareg TDI 2013 Golf TDI DSG Buyback
Picked up a new 2016 Touareg TDI Sport with Navigation today. MSRP $54,xxx, 15% off, $46,xxx. $50,313 out the door. All three of their unsold Touaregs had people on waiting lists and were gone as soon as they were ok'd for sale. They brought mine in from another dealer who would not take deposits or start a waiting list. He only had two and I got one. At my dealer he had 20 to 25 people on lists for the Jettas and Golfs.

15TDIreg

TDI
2015 Touareg TDI Lux and 2014 Passat TDI Sel
Despite a couple tuning issues (aftermarket and by choice) she is loving her '15 Touareg TDI and I enjoy driving it as well. Thing is smooth, quite, has good power and a very nice build quality inside and out. I'm sticking to my diesel trucks but the Touareg is impressive no doubt!! So far we have owned a TDI Jetta, TDI Passat and now we have the Touareg which is the favorite thus far.

stealthTDI

TDI
'03 Jetta GLS TDI,5sp,blk/blk,@127k traded for '09 Jetta TDI,2.0L CR,DSG,blk/blk(VW buyback 02/03/17)@197k;Replaced w/2017 Audi A4 Prestige quattro 2.0T blk/blk;'16 Passat R-Line(wife's);'05 Passat TDI(sold);'05 Ford F350 6.0 crewcab duallie.
The current deal is 15% off MSRP for the 2016s. We bought one on Friday for a little less than that.
I have been offered a 2016 Treg Exec 51.3k (w/ 75 miles on odo) msrp 64.2k. What do you think about this deal? As always, Thx in advance.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
I think it is way too pricey for that mileage. That is what ahould get you into a zero miles Touareg Executive, or close.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
My bad. Thought you meant 75k, lol. Yep, I’d be interested at that price if I wanted that car.