K&N Filter Salt Test?

StormChaser

TDI
TDIless for now
Long ago, there was a thread where someone tested a K&N Filter and discovered tat particles as large as table salt can get right through. It wads well documented with pics...anyone got a link to it? I can't find it...

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
Here's a test per ISO standands using dust particles with about 10% of the particles in the course test about the size of table salt. I don't think you need pics to see the K&N captures far less dust than most of the other filters tested and thus passes more dust into the engine.

http://duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Flying Kasper said:
That's official proof that K&N sucks! But I hopped AFE would of done better.
Aww man, Bob is gonna be bummed. Ya'll know who I'm talking about. Bob the AFE pusher LOL. (poke, jab :p )

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Farfromovin said:
Aww man, Bob is gonna be bummed. Ya'll know who I'm talking about. Bob the AFE pusher LOL. (poke, jab :p )
AFE CAI, with AEM filter :D

AFE doesn't test their filters with the fine dust test, AEM and Amsoil do. (different filters used in that years old test, Amsoil hasn't had foam filters for years). That test has gotta be 4 or 5 years old? (Yup, Sep 2004)

Diesel_Benz

Banned
TDI
Mercedes
Is it actually a surprise to anyone that K&N sucks? You can see straight through the "filter" material and the gauze doesn't actually do any filtering, the oil catches dust as it contacts. If you neglect the frequent "oil change" maintenance it needs, it becomes little more than a strainer.

What I'd like to see is how the Donaldson PowerCore filters stack up against the rest.

Last edited:

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
Donaldson PowerCore filters ... isn't that the same element material used in the Amsoil EaAU air filters? The test results I have seen paint a nice picture. Developed for the military as I remember.

Diesel_Benz

Banned
TDI
Mercedes
Those are not PowerCore filters. Real PC filters flow and filter so well because they are designed in cells and have a huge filtering surface area compared to a cone or panel filter.

Last edited: