Power Service is Downsizing its Bottles

ndmike88

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta TDI
Having just bought my TDI and having only one fill up, I must ask Do you really feel a difference in performance after using power service? Is this stuff VW approved?
Thanks

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
scooperhsd said:
THat's why I DON'T carry open containers in the car any more - it gives me a severe headache in short order....
PS bottles are the worst....no matter how tight you make the lid they seep...:confused: ....my beetle has been the victim of several PS leakers that overturned (my fault of course) and leaked the headache inducing fluid

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
They have been doing this since at least last fall and you are just now noticeing it. Best place to get it if you can still use the older stuff is truck stops,I find they still have some of the older bottles.

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I don't know as there's a noticeable performance increase (okay, I hardly notice any but that's because I'm filling up with Koch Gold 50-cetane). But the improvements in lubricity and absorbing water, etc. -- it's cheap insurance.

pogopop77

TDI
2009 BMW 335d
Steve-o said:
I don't know as there's a noticeable performance increase (okay, I hardly notice any but that's because I'm filling up with Koch Gold 50-cetane). But the improvements in lubricity and absorbing water, etc. -- it's cheap insurance.
Where do you fill up? Do they carry both Koch Gold Diesel and Koch Gold Diesel Plus?

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
pogopop77 said:
Where do you fill up? Do they carry both Koch Gold Diesel and Koch Gold Diesel Plus?
Mills Fleet Farm is a local chain of "farm supply" stores; they carry Koch Gold (no Plus) in the summer and Koch Arctic the other 10 months (just kidding!).

JettaDrvr

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
Its just another way to scam the public out of their hard earned money and to increase their profits. Just like the B**nty paper towels I bought the other day, the package said new improved 25% thicker - Yes they probably were thicker because of the thicker ridges in the towels but really thinner- they felt just like tissue paper with thick deep ridges in them. I had to use 4-5 of them just to dry my hands. No more B**nty paper towels for me.

I think all this first started off a few years ago with yogurt containers which seem to still be getting smaller every year. Before you know it they will start selling 1 ounce of yogurt in the same size containers but the container will have a false bottom so you dont realize youre getting ripped off at the store.

Beanie-Bean

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Thanks for the tips, guys!

Yep, just picked up some Gerber baby bottles and the newly downsized bottle of DieselKleen Silver. Basically broke down to 1 oz/3 gal. The 5 oz bottles should work just fine!

Going to take it on its first long trip tomorrow morning to San Antonio from Austin, so hopefully the mileage will improve over the almost exclusively city-driving I've been doing to try to break-in the engine.

Appreciate the feedback, and I'll go get the baby bottles ready this evening so that I can refuel in S.A. where the prices are better than here in the Austin area.

Cheers!

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Mike, I've met Tony (aja8888). He meant no offense.

Ton

Veteran Member
TDI
early 2001 jetta
What's wrong with Lucas Oil's Fuel additive - It doesn't stink period. I've tried Power service.

TDI
2k3 Golf
Speaking of opened bottles: I'm kinda worried because it's clearly written on the PS bottle to "use all content on opening". Is this really important? It seems that everyone is keeping his opened in the car...which is also what I planned on doing, but I was just a bit worried...
And btw, did you guys noticed a difference in engine noise after using PS for the first time? I just treated first tank with the product and my car is def making a rumble noise...(hope I chose the right english word)

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Ton said:
What's wrong with Lucas Oil's Fuel additive - It doesn't stink period. I've tried Power service.
It might be a good product, but it's not as popular.

Is it for gas and diesel, or just diesel?

alkmisc

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta (6 speed)
When Walmart here switched to the 80 oz bottles last fall, the shelf labels still said 96 oz. Doubly sneaky.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
Turbolader Du Idiot! said:
Speaking of opened bottles: I'm kinda worried because it's clearly written on the PS bottle to "use all content on opening". Is this really important? It seems that everyone is keeping his opened in the car...which is also what I planned on doing, but I was just a bit worried...
And btw, did you guys noticed a difference in engine noise after using PS for the first time? I just treated first tank with the product and my car is def making a rumble noise...(hope I chose the right english word)
I don't think I'd worry about either of the two.

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
I keep a quart that has been opened in the back of my trunk standing upright as I use it during each fill-up. After opening it for the first time, I took a piece of tin foil and folded it over a few times and placed it over the top and then resealed the screw top so it wont leak.

DO NOT place the liquid in a different plastic container as the container it comes in has a special chemical treatment to prevent the liquid from eating through the plastic. If you use an oil container, it will soften the plastic and eventually eat through the bottom. Only glass or the original container is suitable. This info came directly from PS Technical Support.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
securityguy said:
I keep a quart that has been opened in the back of my trunk standing upright as I use it during each fill-up. After opening it for the first time, I took a piece of tin foil and folded it over a few times and placed it over the top and then resealed the screw top so it wont leak.

DO NOT place the liquid in a different plastic container as the container it comes in has a special chemical treatment to prevent the liquid from eating through the plastic. If you use an oil container, it will soften the plastic and eventually eat through the bottom. Only glass or the original container is suitable. This info came directly from PS Technical Support.
I've used the same 2-stroke oil bottle going on 2 years now and I have had no problems.

--Nate

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
PDJetta said:
I've used the same 2-stroke oil bottle going on 2 years now and I have had no problems.

--Nate
I use a measuring container similar to that used by Sta-bil gas additive.

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
That's good to hear. PS told me NOT to put it into another plastic container. Maybe they are being overly cautious.

Thanks!

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
securityguy said:
That's good to hear. PS told me NOT to put it into another plastic container. Maybe they are being overly cautious.

Thanks!
I looked at the bottom of both my 2-stroke oil empty and the Power Service bottle and they both said HDPE in the recycle symbol (High Density Polyethelene) plastic.

--Nate

RichmondKYtdi

Leo819 said:
I am not surprised. Food packaging has gotten smaller over the past year. It's finding it's way to all the products we use.
I am in the meat business and laugh every time the new "moist and tender" crap comes out, they started out adding 5% sodium solution, now it can be up to 30%.... salt water is pretty darn profitable stuff. It also started out in chicken, now it's in pork, and a customer told me it is now in walmarts pre-cut steaks.... sorry for digress but when all these little things start happening everywhere and it drives me nuts. And don't get me started on the ice cream containers!

JLMurphy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT, 2001 Golf 5MT
securityguy said:
Only glass or the original container is suitable. This info came directly from PS Technical Support.
I found the perfect PS container / dispenser, glass, 7oz size, long neck for easy pouring, designed to hold stinky liquids...

:D

Jim

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
More likely to...

BioPassat said:
I used to use Power Service (PS) with every fill up of B20, but decided that the Biodiesel was a good enough alternative as it is for increased cetane? If I fill up without any Biodiesel, I'll use some Power Service.

What do you guys think? :confused:
I am more likely to use PS/Winter in Bio.

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
I store it in the garage, put in car before I fill up which is usaully locally because price is good here. I have been using 4-6 oz winter and 1-2 regular for the the slightly more cetane boosting power. ( I have it here so I figure I should use it up) I use a a baster to put it in.

Last edited: