Appointment set for my 2.0L TDI Engine (GEN 3) Emissions Control Software - Stg 1 Mod

GrndZero

TDI
2015 GSW-SE6spd
I was directed to this thread so I am going to just sub to this and let mine fall off hopefully. Wouldn't want to piss anyone else off, lol.
After looking at some of these changes it would appear I mostly likely will not see much of a change at all since I have a 6speed manual so I wouldn't have to worry about sluggish gears.
I will wait another week or two before I do mine as I have noticed at least one person here said they have a manual and have an appointment.
Minor Edit
I have very low miles on my wagen, I am only coming in at my first 10k miles and I have had the car for 17 months.

linux_author

Veteran Member
TDI
Phase II Emissions modified 2015 Golf TDI S SportWagen
offer letter notarized, scanned, uploaded and approved today (approval took 4 minutes) - called the closest VW dealer right afterwards, and appt was made...

we're set for a Phase 1 mod for the morning of Jan 25th!

willie
on the sunny and warm Gulf of Mexico

jjm

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SE; 2017 Golf TSI Wolfsburg (replaced 2012 Golf Hatch (Bought back by VW)
Even though the mpg rating is the same, I wonder if it will be more difficult to hit those actual numbers, like in most gassers. I assume that no one will know for sure until summer fuel is back in the car and they can look at mileage over 1000 or more miles.
My impression has been that TDI's have generally exceeded the published ratings by something on the order of 10% overall. The fix may meet the ratings, but still in reality drop mpg performance by this much. We may not have the pleasure of being one of the few models that perform better than the published values. This was discussed way back when dieselgate first reared its ugly head.

H3toTHIS

TDI
15 GSW
The next step in the process is to schedule your appointment to complete the Approved Emissions Modification. All scheduling must take place with the dealer directly.
The preferred dealership location you provided previously is below. Is this the location where you would like to schedule your appointment? If so, you will be presented with a link to the dealership’s website to schedule your appointment or the dealership’s phone number to contact them directly for scheduling.
Once the dealer completes the Approved Emissions Modification, you will be issued a receipt. If you chose to receive payment by check, a check will be mailed to you within 3 banking days. If you chose to receive payment by electronic funds transfer (EFT), funds will be submitted for payment within 3 banking days.
The preferred dealership location you provided previously is below. Is this the location where you would like to schedule your appointment? If so, you’ll be presented with available appointment times in the next step.

I never received an email from VW, but this is what I see when I log into the claims portal.
I am going to give it a few weeks and maybe call the dealer and see if they have performed any "fixes" yet. I'd prefer not to be the first at the dealer, but at the same time I'm ready to get phase one done.
I did everything online, made all my preferences online, and uploaded my notarized documents...but somehow they decided to send me actual US Mail to let me know the fix was ready. So I wouldn't be surprised if yours comes in the mail instead of electronically.

H3toTHIS

TDI
15 GSW
So has any one with a stick car had the fix yet?
My appointment for my 6 speed Golf Sportwagen is Monday 1/23. My dealer said that mine will be the second one for them, and to allow them two hours if I choose to wait for it.

Fingers crossed.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Will be real curious to hear some average MPGs post-fix and what the change was compared to previous.

And I mean real numbers. Not what the onboard computer tells you, what does pen and paper, miles divided by gallons get you.

bowltr

TDI
2015 Passat SEL
Got the money into my account yesterday.

As far as MPG is concerned. Driven it for 6 days about 400 miles and one fill up. MPG is the same. No difference that I can tell.

bluebus

TDI
15 Golf TDI SE
Will be real curious to hear some average MPGs post-fix and what the change was compared to previous.
And I mean real numbers. Not what the onboard computer tells you, what does pen and paper, miles divided by gallons get you.
I just filled up, and getting ready to do just this to see what kind of combined mileage I get when driving around town tomorrow and taking a short road trip on Saturday.

Maybe I'll fill up again on Sunday and take a long drive in that 55-60mph sweet zone for mileage to see what I get.

bluebus

TDI
15 Golf TDI SE
Just to update my experience with the money situation for those interested in a timeline...

Got the fix on Monday, the email from Chase late Tuesday night. Filled out the info Wednesday morning, and the money was in my account at start of business this morning, Thursday.

M4ttjabz

TDI
2015 GSW
Those of you who have completed the fix and gotten paid-

Did you receive an email receipt from VW after the fix or just the Chase email?

I had the fix done yesterday morning and was given the paper receipt but didn't receive any email receipt? Is that normal? I know folks who did the buyback got both an email receipt and then a day later, got the Chase email. Is it the same for the fix? When I log into the claims website it shows that everything is complete but thus far, I haven't received any emails other than the dealership asking me to do a survey on customer service.

Thanks!

-Matt

EECSentric

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL DSG LP
I'd love to hear from anyone with a tune that does the fix. Specifically 1) if anyone has a tune, then went back to stock for the fix and if VW said anything or 2) if anyone gets a tune after the phase-1 fix. I know this may be a relatively small number of volks.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
If the change to the way the engine runs is so subtle, it really makes one wonder why VW continued to cheat with these engines.

Long-term durability of the emission control components is the big unknown.

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)
If the change to the way the engine runs is so subtle, it really makes one wonder why VW continued to cheat with these engines.

It might have mainly been to reduce AdBlue usage so that they can just top it off when you come in for an oil change. But honestly we really don't know.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE

The new motors were a Tiny bit away from passing....My guess it was a cost savings...Lower warrenty and repair costs....And better mpg...GREED....They said good enough....The new motor was made to fix the problems of the past...But for me, and many others, I wondered WHY they would have so much technology on a motor unless they had too...If the older ones passed the 2010, then the 2013 rules....Why did they do such a radical redesign? Now we know why...
But the 11 year warrenty or 160,000 miles....On most everything on a diesel that is troublesome....Means there are many years of zero risk... Beyond a trip to the dealer...And if you spend 30 days collectively at the dealer, you can force the buyback again from what RECALL...So seems to be a safe option.

Last edited:

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
I opted for the mod also and just received this booklet in the mail. There may be a .pdf available on the internet. I've not searched.

The last page seems to suggest that for phase II when your car is brought in with more than 40,000 miles for dsg or 70,000 for a manual, only then will hardware mods be required? Although I'm not quite sure. Can anyone explain the 40,000/70,000 miles stuff?

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver

My thoughts exactly

And it went on for years

Something just does not add up