Several electrical issues, may or may not be related.

Sbeghan

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5spd 390k mi
I've got a 2003 Jetta Auto TDI. My neighbor's interested in it and I haven't started it in 6 months. We wash it and take it for a test drive.
The wipers work for a couple seconds, and then I start spraying wiper fluid and it sprays for a couple seconds and then stops dead in the middle. No noise.
No spray, no wiper. I get out and easily move the wipers up and down so I don't think the transmission is broken or frozen (and the motor doesn't make any noise anyway).
Then we notice the signal lights don't work, BUT, the hazards do.
And to top it off, the cabin blower fan doesn't turn on. I think the recirc light comes on if we push it, but the ac light doesn't come on, even if the knob is turned to 1-4.
Headlights do work. I don't think the defrost switch works (we press it in, but I don't recall it heating up, or getting brighter).
A bit of research indicated the ignition switch so I swapped it out with a spare used switch and nothing changed.
Since all my research indicated it was probably the ignition switch but it isn't I'm stumped and need help.

Thanks!

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Check fuses.
Check plugs at ECU,TCU (if not good and snug, water can get in there)

Sbeghan

Veteran Member
TDI
I forgot to mention, but I pulled and checked ALL the fuses including the ones on the battery.
I'll check the plugs later.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
You might also double check all the wiring associated with the ignition switch

Sbeghan

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a feeling that I'm going to need to sit there with a multimeter and trace the wiring diagrams from the switch to each failed system.

Also probably not relevant, but might be of interest. The alternator was dead and the battery was drained. I charged the battery and have a replacement used alternator on order.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I have a feeling that I'm going to need to sit there with a multimeter and trace the wiring diagrams from the switch to each failed system.

Also probably not relevant, but might be of interest. The alternator was dead and the battery was drained. I charged the battery and have a replacement used alternator on order.
Yea, no way around it. I agree that there probably is a common or related cause.
Alternator/battery certainly relevant

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD

There are fuses that sit on top of the relay panel. Did you also check those?

Sbeghan

Veteran Member
TDI
No. I didn't realize that there were fuses there. Since I have the dash apart I'll check them as soon as I get home.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Central convenience module fuses

Some on the bottom, depending upon what's installed in the vehicle

Sbeghan

Veteran Member
TDI
I swapped the old ignition switch back, and now it makes a buzzing noise when I hit the wipers or signals. But I also pulled the fuses (2x 15a and a 30a) on the relay panel and replaced them. Gonna grab my manual now and start tracing things.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
The three Green fuses on top of the battery are (facing, left to right) for the Rad fans out front and the ABS system (two on your right).

The strip fuses beside the Green fuses provide power to everything inside the car........... make sure those connections are not corroded! Those nuts are 10mm and can be loosed to remove the connections for inspection and cleaning.

Be careful as you will be working with 12 plus volts directly from the Battery.

Also, take a look at the big black wire that connects on the end of the fuse panel there on the battery. It is fused and comes from the Alternator.... prone to heat up due to poor connection ......... I've seen them burnt really bad..

Sbeghan

Veteran Member
TDI
All the fuses look and test fine. Battery's at around 12.5V. New alternator still hasn't shown up yet.

I swapped the hazard switch and relay 377 (wiper relay) and no change.
Haven't had time to look further.

Sbeghan

Veteran Member
TDI
Finally got a new alternator in it and then let it charge the battery up, just in case that was the issue.
So I noticed that the turn signal lights make a clicking sound in the hazard switch. When it first starts up it clicks like the signals are on, and then the clicking speeds up gradually to where it sounds like buzzing. So I'm guessing a charge of some sort isn't able to drain?
The clicking or buzzing is paused if I pull back on the windshield wiper stalk to spray fluid. Its also momentarily paused if I set the windshield wiper stalk to any of the on positions.

I can't find any differences yet with a multimeter between my car and this problem car.
WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Finally got a new alternator in it and then let it charge the battery up, just in case that was the issue.
So I noticed that the turn signal lights make a clicking sound in the hazard switch. When it first starts up it clicks like the signals are on, and then the clicking speeds up gradually to where it sounds like buzzing. So I'm guessing a charge of some sort isn't able to drain?
The clicking or buzzing is paused if I pull back on the windshield wiper stalk to spray fluid. Its also momentarily paused if I set the windshield wiper stalk to any of the on positions.

I can't find any differences yet with a multimeter between my car and this problem car.
WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!
Replace the hazard switch and the wiper stalk(or test it with another hazard switch). The ribbon cable on the wiper stalk is worn.

Sbeghan

Veteran Member
TDI
I've checked the hazard switch, ignition switch, and the wiper stalk with replacements and no change.
Still scratching my head about the fan too, since its acting like the fuse is out but the fuse is ok and has power at the fuse box.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I read all this twice.
I'm wondering if you have a bad ground somewhere.
If you have access to wiring diagrams find the page with ground points and locations.
With the car on producing the problem measure from the negative terminal of the battery to the ground points for the circuit and see if any have more then .5 volts.
I use a 'T' push pin to probe the ground wires. Same thing, less then .5 volts.
Electrical work takes patience and time to learn.
Long shot but no part trial and error. :)
Rich W.

Sbeghan

Veteran Member
TDI
You guys were soooooo close. It wasn't bad ground, it was bad power (300 ohms on 12V). Relay 100 (J52 / J59), Load Induction Relay.
So for the future, a bad relay 100 gives you no turn signals, no washer, and no passenger fan, very much like a bad ignition switch, but retains hazards.
Since it wasn't a complete failure it did some weird stuff like adding load to the relay decreased the current through each individual system (wiper and turn signals on at the same time made the buzzing go away).

Sbeghan

Veteran Member
TDI
Now I just found a light out on my car. Left rear light is out (the one that turns on when you turn the headlights on). But its not burnt out (replaced good bulb with new good bulb). It just started raining so I'll look at it later but I bet the solution's just as odd.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Hope it's not a coolant migration issue!

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Helpful thread. Thanks!

I'm having intermittent issues with rear wiper, cabin fan & front washers not working. All else seems fine. It seems to be, as you say that some circuits are pulling extra voltage. Unfortunately, this is occurring only rarely, so it's really difficult to pinpoint.

This did begin with only the rear wiper not working and I thought maybe I had tried to break it loose from freezing rain and had done something there. A cold commute with no cabin fan while the rear wiper was also not working got my mind working. Then, when I needed to wash the slush from the front window and the washer did not spray even though the front wipers worked, I immediately grasped at a module.

Lights, signals, etc are all fine. I do open the sunroof when I pull in the garage to let out some humidity and that is working fine.

Any other hints are appreciated.

outlaw

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 speed. 280,000 miles.
Where can I find this part?

I've been trying to find the solution to this issue for two years! My car has been doing these things and I posted questions over year ago-- I am so appreciative that you've discovered the answer. Where can I find this part? Does anyone know the part number?
Thanks!