What VCDS ?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Try it and report back. As you found most find Ross-Tech to be the tool to use. I get a "404: Oops, this page couldn’t be found." for that link.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
All I'm seeing is references to Ross-Tech. Does anyone have knowledge or experience with www.totalcardiagnostics.com/vagcom‎ --- this is a $100 unit. Also, will these work with my Apple MacBook Pro?

I've got an electrical issue that needs to be narrowed down.
1) The link you posted gives a 404 (Page not found) error.
2) Any "vagcom" that is not from Ross-Tech is an illegal clone or hack of a Ross-Tech's product. These are usually older versions and they are NOT upgradable. Good luck if you support thieves - there will be no support.
3) VCDS (the program) is a Windows program. It can run on a MacBook Pro *IF* you are running Windows as a VM or in a dual boot setup. It will NOT run under Apple's operating system.
4) A HEX-NET wireless interface with VCDS Mobile will run on a MAC or an iPhone or any other device with WiFi and a web browser.

Have Fun!

Don

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
1) The link you posted gives a 404 (Page not found) error.
2) Any "vagcom" that is not from Ross-Tech is an illegal clone or hack of a Ross-Tech's product. These are usually older versions and they are NOT upgradable. Good luck if you support thieves - there will be no support.
3) VCDS (the program) is a Windows program. It can run on a MacBook Pro *IF* you are running Windows as a VM or in a dual boot setup. It will NOT run under Apple's operating system.
4) A HEX-NET wireless interface with VCDS Mobile will run on a MAC or an iPhone or any other device with WiFi and a web browser.

Have Fun!

Don
so i'm just jumping into this (finally). i don't have Windows - got a MacBook Pro and a couple gens of iPhones... is the VCDS Mobile the way to go? i really just want to tweak some settings - steering assist, window/fob trick, etc.

thanks, Don

gassprint1

TDI
2006 jetta
as long as you get the hex-net, you can use any tablet, os system. goto ross-tech.com find the hex net and what the videos. they have many of them on youtube also.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
as long as you get the hex-net, you can use any tablet, os system. goto ross-tech.com find the hex net and what the videos. they have many of them on youtube also.
cool - not sure i'm ready to spend 500 clams:eek:... maybe find a used one, or find a clubber to help.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
so i'm just jumping into this (finally). i don't have Windows - got a MacBook Pro and a couple gens of iPhones... is the VCDS Mobile the way to go? i really just want to tweak some settings - steering assist, window/fob trick, etc.
VCDS Mobile in a HEX-NET would work with your Apple products. However, you probably could buy a used wired interface and a cheap used Windows netbook or tablet for less money. (see below)

don't know where you are getting 500 from, but they are only 199
A HEX-NET wireless interface starts at $449 for a 10 VIN model and $599 for unlimited. For $199 you are thinking about the HEX-V2 (VIN limited) which uses a USB connection and it does require a Windows computer.

Have Fun!

Don

RunTheRace

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI MkIV (A4 chassis) w/ALH Engine
I'm cheap. How about the wireless plugs that use either wifi or bluetooth which trasnmit to your phone, and use OBD Car Doctor App, etc.???

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I own the old, non-locked version of VCDS, but there are times I just want to know some of the easy stuff and I do not like to drive with my laptop. I have an ELM- Bluetooth adapter and Torque Pro for my Android phone and have no trouble reading and or clearing DTC's. I would of never part with my VCDS as there is no way to check my IQ or timing using my phone.

gassprint1

TDI
2006 jetta
i'm not into it that deep for checking the timing of the pump an such just yet. i have an 06 tdi which read much different than the older stuff. i'm not sure what is different from the old program and the new program either. i have the recent ross tech software version also being i just got it a couple weeks ago. if you check the wiki page on ross tech, there is alot of good info on doing that type of stuff or join a facebook group and ask questions there. sorry i can't be alot more helpful on that part of it. many of the guys have the alh engines an such with mods on my fb group VW TDI Owners might give that a try.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
OK, here goes: I can use a computer, but I am a very long way away from being a computer geek. I have had Vagcom for years to access wife's '03 Jetta TDI, but one kid bought an '09 B6 variant gasser and the other a '16 B7 TDI so I bought a VCDS license and adapters. HOWEVER: I have a Panasonic Toughbook running Window XP Pro that has my yank tank software on it - and that stuff will NOT run on anything but XP. Before I got to use VCDS, the old toughbook turned out to be not so tough, and I have not had time to do anything about it.

The gasser started throwing codes last week while we were overseas, so kid went to dealer and got a snowjob she could easily recognize as total BS, so I need to get my hardware and software issues resolved.

Because of the old (and new) yank stuff, I sort of need to stick with another XP machine, but my question for the weekend is if I am giving up anything from a performace or functionality standpoint to use an XP machine with VCDS?

side note: local software guru claims he can re-port my other software to run on Windows 7, but not 10.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Because of the old (and new) yank stuff, I sort of need to stick with another XP machine, but my question for the weekend is if I am giving up anything from a performace or functionality standpoint to use an XP machine with VCDS?
VCDS will work perfectly with XP. VCDS does not require a lot of CPU horsepower. Any computer capable of running Windows XP will run VCDS just fine - even a single core Intel Atom netbook (cheap) will work fine. As far as VCDS is concerned, you will "give up" nothing.

Have Fun!

Don

gassprint1

TDI
2006 jetta
i'm using an old dell studio 1737 with vista on it. from using the vcds, it seems like a simple dos base program that requires very little power to run it.

jef@rosstech

Associate Ross-Tech Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 Dog hauling, wood towing, pinball stashing Jetta wagon
From our FAQ 1.4

VCDS requires a computer running Microsoft Windows (the HEX-NET can be used with VCDS-Mobile on other platforms but that use is still in beta testing). A Laptop is most convenient but a desktop PC can also be used.
We recommend a PC running Windows 7, 8.1, or 10 with at least 2GB of RAM (single-core Atom�-class processors are no longer recommended).
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/faq_1.php#1.4

XP was released in 2001. The last time XP was sold with a computer was about +7 years ago. In short, old computers are old computers. We do still have customers running VCDS on XP, but we do not support XP.

To that end, we do not do anything to prevent a Windows XP computer from running our software, so anyone can give it a go if they wish.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
We do still have customers running VCDS on XP, but we do not support XP.
In that case you should update your download page at Ross-Tech.com. The current download page for version 17.8.1 clearly states:
Release 17.8 works with Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10 (both 32-bit and 64-bit)

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
Thanks for all of the very informative answers. It turns out, my yank software was autoenginuity, and they have long ago updated it to run on 64 bit bus systems up to Windows 10.

I will probably buy another toughbook, but either running 7 or later. Wish I was skilled enough to do this in a Linux environment, but I guess I will have to struggle along in the Windows world where they never seem to get things right or stable.

jef@rosstech

Associate Ross-Tech Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 Dog hauling, wood towing, pinball stashing Jetta wagon
In that case you should update your download page at Ross-Tech.com. The current download page for version 17.8.1 clearly states:
Release 17.8 works with Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10 (both 32-bit and 64-bit)
Thank you for pointing that out, the info has been updated to reflect our current policy/standards/whims/wines/beers/sodas ect ect ect. :rolleyes:

The page now states:

Earlier versions of Windows such as 2000, XP, and Vista might still work, but we no longer consider them supported.

MrAsano

TDI
1999 Golf 4th Gen ALH
Sorry to bring this post back from the dead

I own a 99.5 Golf TDI and I recently had the fuel injection pump gaskets replaced by a mechanic. I now know I need to adjust the IQ because the engine is shaking all over the place.

So here is my question. In order to use the VCDS to adjust my IQ, the only thing I need to do is purchase the connector (~$10) the and VCDS-Lite Software ($100)? https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/vcdslitereg/

I just want to make sure before I spend money.

Last edited:

gassprint1

TDI
2006 jetta
Sorry to bring this post back from the dead

I own a 99.5 Golf TDI and I recently had the fuel injection pump gaskets replaced by a mechanic. I now know I need to adjust the IQ because the engine is shaking all over the place.

So here is my question. In order to use the VCDS to adjust my IQ, the only thing I need to do is purchase the connector (~$10) the and VCDS-Lite Software ($100)? https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/vcdslitereg/

I just want to make sure before I spend money.
chances are, that $10 cable isn't going to do anything but allow a generic scan. spend the 200 and get the proper setup to do everything. those generic cables are very much hit and miss ones....

Mako

Veteran Member
TDI
AMFPolo 1.4 TDI 100%Biodiesel, AHF Golf TDI 100% Biodiesel, AHF Golf TDI Wagon 100% Biodiesel, VW Syncro 3CT Kombi 100% Biodiesel, Corsa 1.7D 100% Biodiesel
Check your MFD for the LPH display. When hot and idling set it to read .6/.7 LPH using the hammer mod. Of course this is a quick fix for anyone without VCDS. It's surprisingly accurate.

turbo1996

TDI
2003 VW Jetta TDI 1.9
Vcds

Hate to bring up an old forum again but im in need of someone with vcds. Is there anyone in the fort worth area with vcds? TIA!!!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Several trusted mechanics in the area that do. Have you checked the VCDS locator thread yet? I am in the Austin area if you get down this way. Make trips up there every now and then if you aren't in a hurry.

charliesans

TDI
2006 jetta
vcds user in my area

in other threads, (recently been researching solution to delayed air conditioner problem), club members have suggested "find someone in your area that has a vcds" to help me narrow down my a.c. failure between the high pressure valve, the thermal cut off sensor and the refrigerant control valve.

How would or could I go about searching for someone in my area (Lawrence, KS) that would have the vcds appropriate for my 2006 jetta tdi?