MPG vs Transmission...???

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
I meant the only way to get mileage info from the MFD. I track my fuel with "pen and paper" through fuelly, and I also note the MFD reading on each tank, as well as the average speed reported by the MFD.

The fuelly link for my '01 doesn't show this, 1) because my dad's driving it now and barely tracks the fuel in anyway, 2) it doesn't have an MFD or scangauge or anything.
Don't track the average speed but do track the MFD 2 average along with my calculated mileage and the % difference between the two.

Right now through 8 tanks my hand average is 37.55 and the MFD average is 39.65

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
Yea...Typo on the 70mpg as you know it should be 70mph!
Don't say the MFD display means nothing. I put on 82k miles on my 2009 JSW TDI and found the MFD to be accurate when ever I checked it against gallons used divided by miles driven.
Do you really think I am going to wait until I have 850 miles to re-fuel. I have been driving diesels for years and know that fuel is not always at the next exit. Hey, you can eat what ever kind of bird you want but I'm not walking to the station holding a fuel can!
That's why you keep a 5 gallon can in the back.

The best I've gotten in my Mk4 TDI was 822. That car ate a passenger front tire every oil change -- 15k miles (had a non-VV Garret turbo, like the Mk3s, ran 15w40 for over 150k miles without issue at this interval between me and the last owner)... my 03, once the trans from the old 98 is swapped in, should be capable of an 850 tank.... I hope. It's a 2-3mpg difference to go from 820 to 850.

Strictly speaking from yesteryear... 98 TDI 5-speed manual: 42-44 city 48-55 highway; 03 TDI 3-speed auto (overdrive isn't a real gear)... 30-33 city 44-46 highway...

You do the math. I'll never own an automatic unless it's electric.

mlindner

TDI
2002 Jetta
We are getting 43 mpg in average driving city and hwy. using sport does not seem to
drop milage, maybe helps in hilly areas etc. love it, need to see if I can do a ventictamy
as I did in my 2000 TDI..

WVU TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6m
We are getting 43 mpg in average driving city and hwy. using sport does not seem to
drop milage, maybe helps in hilly areas etc. love it, need to see if I can do a ventictamy
as I did in my 2000 TDI..
No vent to remove on the newer cars.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
The size of the rim means nothing about the size of the tires. you can have 17" rims with only 45 side walls or you could have 17" rims with 75 side walls, two very different diameters on the same rim. VW's no mater what the size rim will always have the same diameter tire (within a few %) so the speedo works the same no matter which rim you choose.

So when it was asked what size tires are on the passats, someone coming back with 17" and 18" that is a mighty small tire.

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
I haven't even filled this car up for the first time so I can't verify accuracy of the MFD, if it is close(my 2011 Golf TDI was dead-on) then the 6 speed manual Passat is getting approx 10% better mpg than the DSG Golf.....hope so, I'll let you know in a few days!

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
The size of the rim means nothing about the size of the tires. you can have 17" rims with only 45 side walls or you could have 17" rims with 75 side walls, two very different diameters on the same rim. VW's no mater what the size rim will always have the same diameter tire (within a few %) so the speedo works the same no matter which rim you choose.

So when it was asked what size tires are on the passats, someone coming back with 17" and 18" that is a mighty small tire.
Exactly my point and a pet peeve that is shared I see.

wolfsburg_de

Ross-Tech AssociateVendor , w/Business number
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
Keep in mind that the overall diameter of the tires on the Passat (regardless of whether you have 17" or 18" factory wheels/tires) is quite a bit bigger than the diameter of Jetta/Golf tires. My Passat's 215/55-17 tires have a diameter of 26.3" which is 5.8% bigger than the 24.9" diameter my coworker's '09 Jetta's 205/55-16 tires. So even if the gearing in the transmissions were the same, the effective gearing will be different (taller) in the Passat. This also makes it harder to find used takeoff tires for the Passat.

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11

The cars are marketed according to the size of the rims, which is why I posted those. VW has a standard tire size for each rim size for each vehicle. I suppose the best answer would be to mention both the rim sizes being sold and the standard tire sizes put with them.