2012 Passat SEL TDI

Delegator

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Joining from the B5.5 forum, just picked up an Opera Red with Cornsilk Beige from Chris @ Langhorne VW - it was on their lot. If you want to see what the Opera Red looks I posted a couple of pictures here.
See, this is what frankly pisses me off. I ordered exactly that vehicle in July, and am being told it won't be built until December. Yet they shipped it to random dealers' lots where there were no orders waiting. It's pretty damned insulting.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
See, this is what frankly pisses me off. I ordered exactly that vehicle in July, and am being told it won't be built until December. Yet they shipped it to random dealers' lots where there were no orders waiting. It's pretty damned insulting.
Welcome to VW!!!! :)

Seriously your dealer should have done an inventory search before you ordered. If you order has not started building you can cancel.

rhpot1991

TDI
2012 Passat
Welcome to VW!!!! :)

Seriously your dealer should have done an inventory search before you ordered. If you order has not started building you can cancel.
Apparently my dealer made the same mistake. I am still waiting for them to build a Night Blue/Beige model, when they exist in the wild.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
I understand, and not to rub too much salt in the wound I bought mine almost immediately. I had an accident with my 04 and it was totaled so I started looking at dealer inventories within 100 miles of my home plus Chris's and saw this one. Called Chris and said I would take it pending a test drive. Did a test drive at a local dealer on Friday and called Chris and took it. Drove over on Tuesday and brought it home. Check with Chris he will do his best to find one and trade around to get it.

I also remember reading an article that VW produced the 10,000 Passat sometime in July. Mine was the 8,810th off the line. So it may have already been produced and waiting to be shipped to Chris when you placed your order.

Good luck, hope you find something soon.

Delegator

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
The sales gal I dealt with indicated unique color combos will take longer to make it to production.
That's actually not quite correct. I will guarantee you that Passats have already been built with your exact specifications. It's just that VW makes no attempt to match up the already-built Passats to orders being placed. Instead, they seem to put new orders in at the end of the current production schedule, and ship the already-built units to whichever locations they were originally bound for.

So, their production process is geared wholly towards getting cars onto dealer lots and not to fulfilling specific orders. You'd be better off searching around for cars that are available instead of placing an order. In my case, I have three choices:
- drive 7 hours round trip to buy the car to my specs in another state (I have found one on a dealer lot)
- wait until late December for the one I ordered
- purchase a competitor's vehicle

Right now it looks like I'll be doing the latter.

k.mojo

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE Manual
Yep, I'm in the same boat. A car IDENTICAL to my order placed on 8/6 showed up as dealer stock 50 miles away. I dig them wanting to get the dealers cars to sell, but wasn't that what the first wave was for? This car delivered a week ago..... UGH....