2012 Passat SEL TDI

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
My dealer didn't say anything about sold allocations, he said in mid-August he'd not see any Passats to sell for 2 months. Maybe he was lowballing expectations. Anyone got recently stated dates for arrival on dealer lots?

TDI
2014 Passat SE, 1996 Dodge 4x4 RAM w/Cummins
I'm a new member. I ordered a 2012 TDI SE Passat back in July. The dealer emailed me yesterday and said it has been built. And as of last week, my car was on a train between Tenn and Calif. They are expecting more news on it this week. So unless VW has a reason to hold it up in transport or hold it for an official release date, we should get it soon.

verylongdrive

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf,2001
Dealer told me yesterday that they were looking at 9/15 now for their first shipment, and that it would include about 15 pre-orders and an unspecified number of unsold vehicles of unknown-to-him specification, though "mostly SEs".

I traced the train lines on Google Maps and there is a rail straight from Chattanooga to here, but I'm utterly unclear on where non-historic stations are in/near this town - but there is an empty grass area with sidings near downtown apparently big enough to land a two-rotor Army helicopter. How much of a station do these yellow car trains need to unload?

99Jet

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
I just spoke with my dealer. Apparently, my car was built and it's got a VIN. Bad news is that it's scheduled for delivery the week of 22. September. I might have heard him say "release to transit on 9. September", but I'm not sure.

Too bad as I'm not sure if I can go another 2-3 weeks without a car. At a minimum, I'll take their demo for a test drive and see if I can rent something from the dealership.

@verylongdrive: where is HSV?

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
Dealer just called me last Thursday and said my Passat TDI will arrive in 2 weeks. I told him thank you but I decided not to buy the car. Therefore, on or about September 15th sounds right.

rhpot1991

TDI
2012 Passat
For those who have received a date, what color and package did you choose? My dealer is treating my TDI SEL Midnight Blue order as a basic order and not a pre-order, so it may take up to 90 days :( They seemed to indicate that my combination is not available at launch, but haven't gotten back to me with what combinations are available at that point.

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
For those who have received a date, what color and package did you choose? My dealer is treating my TDI SEL Midnight Blue order as a basic order and not a pre-order, so it may take up to 90 days :( They seemed to indicate that my combination is not available at launch, but haven't gotten back to me with what combinations are available at that point.
Some dealers are already posting their expected orders as inventory. You could use cars.com to figure out the expected colors coming to dealers in the first batch. I was surprised to see my Plantinum Gray/Black combo show up as available inventory on one of the local dealers inventory.

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
I decided not to get another VW TDI based on the fact that the issues with the HPFP still have not been rectified and VW has not stood up at the plate to take any real action. There are several car manufacturers (Mazda, GM, FORD, etc.) that are bringing diesels to the US over the next year and I will be monitoring those closely along with VW's progress. With my wife as the primary driver of this car, I felt that it is in both of our best interest to buy what we feel is extremely reliable without concern for fuel quality or other mechanical issues/concerns. In the end, she decided she really wanted a nice wagon. We drove the JSW TDI, JSW gasser and the new Acura TSX Sport Wagon. The VW was no match for the Acura so that's what we got her. A loaded Pearl White TSX Wagon with the Technology Package...and talk about an amazing NAV:D It was a few grand more but worth every penny IMO! Beautiful car and rides and handles wonderfully...no regrets!

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
I hope you got a great deal on the SportWagon, I work for a dealer and we sold 3 since the beginning of the year. But with balance shaft issues, vtc rattles and other problems... Wife passed on a new TSX after we had a pretty good run in our 04, she loves the GTi.

All car companies make duds, not just VW

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
I decided not to get another VW TDI based on the fact that the issues with the HPFP still have not been rectified and VW has not stood up at the plate to take any real action. There are several car manufacturers (Mazda, GM, FORD, etc.) that are bringing diesels to the US over the next year and I will be monitoring those closely along with VW's progress. With my wife as the primary driver of this car, I felt that it is in both of our best interest to buy what we feel is extremely reliable without concern for fuel quality or other mechanical issues/concerns. In the end, she decided she really wanted a nice wagon. We drove the JSW TDI, JSW gasser and the new Acura TSX Sport Wagon. The VW was no match for the Acura so that's what we got her. A loaded Pearl White TSX Wagon with the Technology Package...and talk about an amazing NAV:D It was a few grand more but worth every penny IMO! Beautiful car and rides and handles wonderfully...no regrets!
While you're monitoring these new diesel manufacturers, don't forget to validate which fuel pumps are used.

I would expect a great deal more quality, too, when paying an extra $10K for that TSX wagon.

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
Anyone know how the remote start feature will work on a cold morning with the TDI? Does it wait till the glow plugs complete before attempting to start?

jpltdi

Veteran Member
Yes, I am sure it must wait for the glow plugs if they are needed. The amount of computer control is amazing. When I checked one out at the dealer, they tried to remote start the car but it wouldn't start. It turned out that the fuel level was low (light was on, but still plenty of fuel to drive around and it would start from inside). The computer would not allow the car to remote start when the fuel level was low. So I'm sure it must take the glow plugs into account (same as if you pressed the button inside). Overall, just a beautiful car and I am sure I will be a TDI owner again soon!

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
MyAv- the TSX wagon wasnt $10K more than the JSW. I paid only a few thousand more than a JSW TDI with NAV and feel that we got a far better product for the money without the worry of the TDI issues. I paid under invoice for my TSX too. I still love VW and will buy another one again someday...just now is not the best time to be buying VW TDI's based on their current issues and VW's failure to fix the unresolved issues.

Dastek - here where I live the TSX wagons are hot and hard to find. Most dealers have only 1 or 2 and we had to have ours brought in from another state to get the color and option package we wanted. The reviews on the TSX have been extremely positive and the car feels like a tank... Very solid and rattle free as compared to the 2011 and 2012 JSW wagons we drove. Yes, every manufacturer has their issues and Acura is no exception but I can easily say that a side by side comparison of the Acura and JSW made the Acura decision a very easy one.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
lets just hope they don't have $6-$8K issues right ;)

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Yes, every manufacturer has their issues and Acura is no exception but I can easily say that a side by side comparison of the Acura and JSW made the Acura decision a very easy one.
It sounds like you did not get a passat because there was not a wagon version...you really wanted a wagon afterall.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
MyAv- the TSX wagon wasnt $10K more than the JSW. I paid only a few thousand more than a JSW TDI with NAV and feel that we got a far better product for the money without the worry of the TDI issues. I paid under invoice for my TSX too. I still love VW and will buy another one again someday...just now is not the best time to be buying VW TDI's based on their current issues and VW's failure to fix the unresolved issues.
made the Acura decision a very easy one.
Fair enough. You indicated buying a loaded TSX SW and sticker prices go as high as $38K. Don't blame you for waiting on TDI's -- especially the first run Amerissat.

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
A maxed out TSX Wagon is a tad over $35K MSRP. Invoice is a tad over $33K. I got my loaded TSX for about $34K on the road with $500 worth of free dealer installed accessories.

If VW made a Passat Wagon, it would have been a no brainer to get the Passat. My wife and I both really liked the car but not a sedan and not another TDI...yet;)

Probably would have gone with the V6 as the 2.5 just didn't do anything for me. Since we get new cars every two years, maybe a Passat wagon in TDI form will be in our future. One can only hope:)

Tschuss_Bill

TDI
2000 Jetta Original Owner, 2005 E320 CDI
Leather, Sunroof, 6 Speed manual?

I would not expect a wagon in the US, not with the Tiguan and the Touareg.

My question: 2012 Passat with both leather and sunroof, am I stuck with DSG? I'd prefer a manual gearbox. That seems to be the case as per VW.Com.

Does anyone know if a TDI SEL Premium can be ordered with a 6 speed manual?

-Bill

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
I can't say for sure but in years past VW always does some "one offs". What that means is they build a number of units with off the board options, what the available option list was called before the internet.

Like just having diesel as an option or leather sunroof power everything and manual just to test to see how well they sell.

The mid year (Feb 1989) off the book bare bone Jetta diesels ( ac, radio prep & PS were the only options ) were a perfect example of this of which I purchased one of the first ones shipped here, no diesels were offered for 2 years then they produced an order at the end of 1988, 1989 MY. What I was told was that VW made this order for a northeast telephone company and the order fell through after they were produced. So VW just shipped them out for regular sale and they sold so well they were added back to the line up. I also purchased one of the second group which was loaded with a lot of options, sunroof CC and better interior.

The 2 dr Jetta Ds sold in late 89 and 90 ( 90 MY cars ) are also a perfect example of this. There were also examples of A4 Jetta TDIs sold with option packages not listed, some were very nicely equipped over what was listed on the books.

The few TD Rabbits sold in 84 are another example of this. There were also a few loaded Audi 4000 Ds & TDs and completely loaded Quantum TDs sold here which are another example of this. I owned several examples of both of these over the years. In my close to 35 years of being around VW/Audi diesel products, buying, selling and driving them every model ever sold here was done like this.

Now this is no guarantee that they will offer a few of these Passats like some are wanting but there is a good chance a few of these will show up on a lot with little warning sooner than later. I have owned more than a few of these "one offs" and they were all great cars optioned just as I wanted..............And a few times over the years when the demand proved to be high the "one offs" made it to the board as a widely available option list.

breind01

Just ordered my 2012 Passat TDI SEL, estimate about 4 weeks till delivery.
Platinum Gray Metallic w/Titan black interior.
Has your dealer given you a delivery date? We ordered TDI SEL on 9/8 and told to expect delivery mid October. We're anxiously awaiting our Sales Rep to tell us a VIN # has been assigned and maybe a build date.

breind01

I just spoke with my dealer. Apparently, my car was built and it's got a VIN. Bad news is that it's scheduled for delivery the week of 22. September. I might have heard him say "release to transit on 9. September", but I'm not sure.

Too bad as I'm not sure if I can go another 2-3 weeks without a car. At a minimum, I'll take their demo for a test drive and see if I can rent something from the dealership.

@verylongdrive: where is HSV?
Did you receive delivery or looking for it in a couple days? Exciting!!! We're looking at Mid October. We originally ordered the Opera Red but changed the color to Black with Cornsilk Beige yesterday. Hope that change does not set us back in delivery.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
VW just never learns. I opted out of the new Passat because like the B4 TDiI-no fog lights if you get a 6 speed.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Did you receive delivery or looking for it in a couple days? Exciting!!! We're looking at Mid October. We originally ordered the Opera Red but changed the color to Black with Cornsilk Beige yesterday. Hope that change does not set us back in delivery.
Joining from the B5.5 forum, just picked up an Opera Red with Cornsilk Beige from Chris @ Langhorne VW - it was on their lot. If you want to see what the Opera Red looks I posted a couple of pictures here.