How to video: On car VE injection pump seal replacement video

NoSmoke

Veteran Member
TDI
2K2 Golf
Sourced the Viton o-ring locally (61.60 x 2.62 mm, AS568A-143) and successfully installed it!

A bit of a white knuckle job though. Everything went smoothly until I backed the head away from the pump body. As others have apparently experienced, the pump head became quite wobbly by the time the o-ring was fully visible and there seemed to be little spring pressure if any on it. I had not set the pump "on cam" as the vid recommends as I didn't have the QA off, the Dieselgeek pdf doesn't mention it and others here have said it doesn't matter. I had grim visions of the shim falling off.

Proceeded anyhow and removed the o-ring which was hard & brittle and came off in three pieces. Installed the new o-ring, bolted the head together and was somewhat relieved when the pump primed easily (used a dipstick oil sucker to do it). Bled a couple of lines and it started right up :) :) Another big relief and no leaks!

Thanks to runonbeer and Dieselgeek for the fine video and pdf!

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
Hi NoSmoke

Im in the UK and sourced two orings off eBay here
Yes sorry I meant adjusting the QA under the top plate, not the top plate itself of course, as that's just a cover :)

mike92105

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI automatic 2015 Passat SEL
pump plug

Anybody try the king gator grip socket on this yet? I have a leak and thought I'd replace the plug seal first and if that isn't it then move on to the head seal. So many specialized tools that only get used once.

pitapoket

TDI
2002 vw golf
Anybody try the king gator grip socket on this yet?
Didn't try that socket but somewhere within this thread I remember coming across the idea of modifying a regular 6 point socket (10mm?) to fit the tamper proof bolt. I did this and it worked great. Then I went to a local bolt & steel shop and picked up an exact thread match with regular head on it to put back together.

I have a leak and thought I'd replace the plug seal first and if that isn't it then move on to the head seal.
As mentioned previously multiple times here.... don't do this. Take your time and replace all the seals. You will regret getting back into this if you only replace the one that is currently leaking.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Didn't try that socket but somewhere within this thread I remember coming across the idea of modifying a regular 6 point socket (10mm?) to fit the tamper proof bolt. I did this and it worked great. Then I went to a local bolt & steel shop and picked up an exact thread match with regular head on it to put back together.

As mentioned previously multiple times here.... don't do this. Take your time and replace all the seals. You will regret getting back into this if you only replace the one that is currently leaking.
Except the plug is super easy to get to and doest require skill to R&R. Keep in mind though that the plug is supposed to be single use.....

PD41

TDI
1996 Passat B4 TDI Wagon 1996 A3 Passat TDI Sedan
Buying the seal kits for my 96 Passat. Head seal leaking.
1st timer. Used to be a vw mechanic early 1980's.

Wish me luck. I take my tdi to a vw shop when I'm at work and these guys that have worked on VWs over 30 years had never heard of the seals being replaced in the car.

NoSmoke

Veteran Member
TDI
2K2 Golf
Buying the seal kits for my 96 Passat. Head seal leaking.
1st timer. Used to be a vw mechanic early 1980's.
Wish me luck. I take my tdi to a vw shop when I'm at work and these guys that have worked on VWs over 30 years had never heard of the seals being replaced in the car.
Does it have the same IP as the A4s? If not, maybe the procedures described on this forum aren't applicable.

PD41

TDI
1996 Passat B4 TDI Wagon 1996 A3 Passat TDI Sedan
I hate to repeat myself, so I'll let my self do it for me.
If I do them all then I need to locate a Vagcom. I used to be a big preventative maintenance guy. Nowadays if it works I don't fix it. Lol.

Worried about my loss of power. The thing is a dog till 2500 rpm's. I'm thinking intake ? Has 230k miles. Had this vw shop do the front wheel bearings last week. He checked the lack of power and said the turbo and boost were ok.

Told me to fix the leaky pump issue then the lack of power problem.
Just realized my fuel filter is 30k miles old.

I'm running straight pipe from the turbo flex pipe to the rear bumper, 2".

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
Corrado TDI, 2000 Golf, 1996 B4 Variant
I enjoyed this thread; http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=2308790#post2308790 as I did not remove the quantity adjuster to do the job. I had replaced those seals less than 3 years ago.

The pump head is scary wobbly once you get it out far enough but everything went back together properly. I only let the head out far enough to see about 3/4 of the o-ring width. The new one had no problems fitting back into the groove.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Did this this afternoon on my '00 Jetta, worked like a charm. Thanks for the videos! For folks who are finding the head wobbly, I'm guessing they didn't turn over the engine until the pump was in compression.

When I first started the car, it wanted to redline, so I shut it down and tapped the QA toward the timing belt a couple of times. After a couple of tries, that brought it down to a fairly steady idle around 1200 rpm, but (1) the IQ was showing 0 with occasional flickers of 0.2 or so, and (2) it felt like it was missing a bit. It responded very quickly to the accelerator, and was slow to decelerate. After bringing the engine to normal temp, further tapping toward the timing belt yielded a 900-rpm idle and an IQ of 3-3.2.

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
Corrado TDI, 2000 Golf, 1996 B4 Variant
Nope! The cam was definitely set to the top of the lobes with the girlfriends help. Maybe certain pumps are looser than others. The cams are different in all the pumps and perhaps the springs are too. This was an 11mm pump.

Last edited:

Jim Henning

TDI
1997 and 1999.5 Jettas with 1.9L TDI engines
To Runonbeer: very excellent video and attention to detail, and why you do what and in what order. My only suggestion is the last video on using the Vagcom is that the vibration of the vehicle makes the screen on the laptop totally unreadable. All you can see is the capital letters VCDS, let alone anything else on the screen. I'd recommend having a 4" thick piece of soft foam rubber to put the laptop on to eliminate any vibrations to the laptop for clear viewing. Also, state the range of what the engine could run at if you can't attain the 3.0 setting. thank you both. Good job!

powert01

TDI
2001 Jetta
New Year's Day Pump Seal

High Five!!! Less than two hours.

On a side note I failed to get the Viton head seal and pressed forward with the Buna rubber seal. My question is what is the projected life vs the Viton?

NoSmoke

Veteran Member
TDI
2K2 Golf
High Five!!! Less than two hours.
On a side note I failed to get the Viton head seal and pressed forward with the Buna rubber seal. My question is what is the projected life vs the Viton?
I debated using the rubber seal that came with the gasket kit but decided on the Viton as it is considered a more durable material and, apparently endures the stretching over the pump head better than the rubber (the OEM seal is normally replaced with the head removed from the pump body). Viton also stands up better to biodiesel if that's a consideration. In practice though, I doubt you'll notice much difference.

Besides, now that you've done it once, the next replacement will be a lot easier. :)

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
high fives all around. Happy new year.

Yes I intend to re-do these videos soon. Update procedure and general video quality.

FJ40Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS 5MT, '12 JSW DSG
Another Thank You!

Our 2001 Golf finally started leaking at the QA after 247k miles. The last time I had to deal with a leaky pump was on my IDI Rabbit, which required pump removal and complete teardown. I was not looking forward to that on the TDI, and thanks to the videos and parts and tool from Dieselgeek, I didn't have to. Thanks for supporting the TDI community!

NCJetta

TDI
2001 Jetta 2012 Audi A3
2001 Jetta TDI 289,000 miles and I can't thank this forum enugh! Replaced injection pump deals this weekend to fix a head a head seal leak by following the video. Thanks runonbeer would have never done it without you. All went just as planned...including shaving the first seal due to the advanced solenoid...I guess that's why you get two. Had good prime and went to crank...nothing. Checked that the as rod was in the control collar 3 times still nothing. Used the hammer method and finally got it to start but it was a very rough start...0mg/h but it was running. Bump it to the right and revved to red line...bump it left and rough idle...in desperation bumped it even further left and boom, smooth idle and 1 mg/h. After a series of very minute adjustments 3.0 to 3.2 mg/h 903 rpms at idle and no more leaks. Guess the point I'm trying to make is mark the assembly well before disassembly and make very fine adjustments...this thing is more sensitive than my ex wife!

Again thanks to this forum I can add this to the list of money I've saved over the years and I am by no means a mechanic...didn't even know what a diesel was 5 years ago. A short list of what I have done with the help of this forum:

Replaced turbo
Replaced clockspring
109 relay
New brakes and rotors
New AC system: compressor,dryer, condenser,expansion valve
New front and rear shocks and struts
Frost heater
New injector pump deals
5 speed manual transmission swap( this was done by Jimbotey but I found out about him on this forum)
Countless other things I can't remember.

Anyways thanks again for all you guys do!!!

777funk

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH - 5 speed
I'm about to reseal my IP's leaking head. I have the IP in the compression stroke. What do I need to look out for in order to not BREAK the plunger? I've seen this mentioned in a thread and that's the last thing I'd like to do.

NoSmoke

Veteran Member
TDI
2K2 Golf
I'm about to reseal my IP's leaking head. I have the IP in the compression stroke. What do I need to look out for in order to not BREAK the plunger? I've seen this mentioned in a thread and that's the last thing I'd like to do.
How would that happen? All I can think of as a precaution is to re-tighten the head bolts evenly.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
Putting the springs under compression is how you avoid it.

Not advisable to stop in the middle of the job to go ask for advice on the internet. You need clear focused attention from start to finish and you need to have a good understanding of what you are doing before you start. That's why I made the videos and advised to watch all the parts before you begin.

Mantis8585

TDI
2000 Beetle
Hi five y'all! Got'er done today. I only did the head seal. Brike my T30 torque and had to ride my bike to the oarts store but all is good! I just bought car and think it was attempted before me. Seal was black and looked fresh. I could see where it was shaved off. ��

tstdi02

TDI
02 Jetta
Anyone near Indianapolis that could complete this repair? Not confident I could complete this successfully, and don't have VAG-COM.

mathanz

TDI
2003 Wagon, auto, 127k miles
Did this on a second car about a month ago. Thought I bled it well. Couldn't get it to start. Cracked the injector lines open at the injectors and cranked for a minute without a start. Realized I forgot to close the lines back down, so got out to do so and saw the motor was now covered in diesel. Lines were good and bled! Tightened them down and she fired right up.

Mantis8585

TDI
2000 Beetle
My stupidity mighty help someone, if you ever lose the little spring off the plunger shut off solenoid, a spring from a ball point pen will work. Smh