OBD II Port

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
So, I discovered the reason that my VCDS wasn't connecting to the CAN bus is that the socket isn't making good contact with the plug on the end of the cable. I discovered that if I pushed or pulled on the plug that it would test okay and was finally able to establish and maintain a connection by jiggling the plug. How difficult is it to replace the socket?

amitsekhon

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,,,,,, 2010 X535D Diesel ,,,,,,,,,,,, 2002 Jetta manual TDI ALH (Sold)
So, I discovered the reason that my VCDS wasn't connecting to the CAN bus is that the socket isn't making good contact with the plug on the end of the cable. I discovered that if I pushed or pulled on the plug that it would test okay and was finally able to establish and maintain a connection by jiggling the plug. How difficult is it to replace the socket?

Are you sure its not the vcds plug?Some Chinese plugs are really crap.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
It is not the plug. It is a genuine Ross-Tech VCDS, not a Chinese knock off, and it works fine on other CAN bus cars.

amitsekhon

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,,,,,, 2010 X535D Diesel ,,,,,,,,,,,, 2002 Jetta manual TDI ALH (Sold)
It is not the plug. It is a genuine Ross-Tech VCDS, not a Chinese knock off, and it works fine on other CAN bus cars.

Oh ok. Not an expert and never replaced or dismantled any OBD port but you can try to open and check if all wires are pushed in properly and "clicked in" from the back. Just a thought.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
is the cars ODB plug secure in the dash trim? take a look and see if there was some wear.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
is the cars ODB plug secure in the dash trim? take a look and see if there was some wear.
The socket body is secure in the bracket under the dash. It is the individual sockets that are making intermittent contact. Might have been pooched when the dealer did "the fix"...