2.0 Opt Out Update

DrgRnnr

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
Anybody willing to share an update from their attorney? My anonymity is shot so now I am more curious for the others that have opted out. I can share that jury trials are scheduled as early as next month in VA. VW is feeling the heat ;).

TDITAZ1969

TDI
14' Jetta
I'm in the opt out group and VW came out with an offer late last week. A really lousy one but an offer nonetheless. Its a start.

DrgRnnr

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
First case didn't make it to trial. Settled out of court along with 25 other cases from the same attorney. Would love one of those clients to give up what that convincing number was.

TDITAZ1969

TDI
14' Jetta
Are you talking about the 1st case that was supposed to start in Virginia on Sept. 11th?? There is absolutely nothing out there info wise on the cases that were supposed to have started on the 11th. Nothing before other than just a mention and now that it has supposedly started there is still nothing.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
It's very frequent that such cases would include a non-disclosure agreement.
I agree with this input. Often, to claim a settlement, the defendant requires silence from the plaintiff as part of the settlement, or the monetary settlement could be stripped back and the plaintiff sued. Why would a plaintiff winning a settlement award want to risk this kind of reaction by breaking the settlement requirements and openly discussing the case on a chat forum? I wouldn't.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Can someone explain what exactly the 'Opt Out' list is? I'm guessing it's the list of people who opted out of the corporate settlement and are pursuing a separate settlement through individual or class action lawsuit.

I ask because I registered for the fix and never payed any attention to the buy-back part of the agreement. I own a Gen-2 manual transmission car. Day by day it looks more likely there will not be a fix for my Passat. Only now have I started reading up on the buy-back protocols as it's looking as that might be my only option for compensation. That's when I discovered the 'Opt-out' list. Thus my curiosity.

:confused:

jdyno718

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE Manual
@Bkmetz your guess is correct on the opt out class. And I too don't think there will be a fix: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=481563

Here is some timing info for you regarding switching to buyback:

I owned a Gen 2 Manual as well and opted for the fix. The day the fix for Gen 1 was announced , end of July 2017, I switched from fix to buyback. The whole process of resetting claims portal account, submitting docs, and signing offer took four days. The earliest I could schedule my buy back was for two weeks.

Car was bought back without issue. Selected EFT and funds were in my account within two days. Bank loan was paid off in four.

Last edited: