How to do your buyback calculations (& post them here!)

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Or check the links on the first post of this thread. they give buyback at ~$30887 or fix at ~$7637.

John Kuhn

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 red JSW TDI base model
Day of the month

Wonder if anybody has a quick answer regarding if it matters what day of the month the buyback is done. So for example, any day in Oct 2017 counts as 25 months, or only after Oct 18th, corresponding to Sept 18th, 2015 when the scandal broke?
Thanks in advance!

SRTopDog

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Need some help please....

So, I'm concerned about when we bought ours....Facts are below, but I thought because the ruling didn't come down until later in June I was fine at full buyback value....

Delaware
Mileage at purchase June 4, 2016 was 43,005(Purchased used)
Mileage now is about 56,500
Hoped to turn it in for Buyback in April by mid April with no more than 60,000 miles on it
Bought from a VW factory dealer in Annapolis, MD

Will our buyback be reduced in some way? If so, where is that delineated. There is nothing on our contract when we bought it used saying that.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Will our buyback be reduced in some way?
Yes. Owners who bought between 9/18/15 and 6/28/16 get reduced restitution. You get the NADA clean trade value as of 9/15, plus 78% of the restitution amount.

If so, where is that delineated.
In the settlement agreements, probably most clearly in the FTC Consent Order--though it doesn't state the reduced amount, as that amount wasn't known until all the Eligible Sellers had filed their claims.

There is nothing on our contract when we bought it used saying that.
Of course there isn't; the dealer isn't a party to the lawsuit, the settlement, or the buyback transaction. There's nothing about the buyback in there at all.

SRTopDog

TDI
Can you show me the calc as it would be today?

Based on what you are saying...can you help me determine what that amount would be if turned in today with 56,500 miles on it?

Don't know if I understand what you are saying completely....But I do appreciate the help, nonetheless.

Scott

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
Based on what you are saying...can you help me determine what that amount would be if turned in today with 56,500 miles on it?
Sure. I'll use https://agrahamg.github.io/VWBuybackCalculator/, as it's pretty easy to work with. If I put your car in there, in Delaware, with 56,500 miles, it returns the buyback amount (which includes both the "vehicle value", as VW calls it, and the restitution), and it also returns the payment for getting the modification, which is just the restitution. The buyback amount is $28,847, and the modification amount is $7,297. To determine the value, subtract the modification amount from the buyback amount, leaving $21,550.

If you take your car back today, or any time this month, with that mileage, you'll get $21,550 + 78% of $7,297. The 78% works out to $5,691.66. So your total would be $27,241.66.

elcid86

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
Don't know if I understand what you are saying completely....But I do appreciate the help, nonetheless.
Scott
. Consider keeping the car. I wish I had.

silvrmax04

TDI
2012, 2015 Passat TDI SE
Looking for some help on what my settlement should be. I am getting conflicting numbers from different sources. My tall6 is 16k ish. I have a 2012 se tdi. Bought new in Nov 2011. It currently has 114k miles. Can anyone please tell me what they get from this. Thank you.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
Do I get the $5161. Modification also?
No, you get the buyback amount if you sell the car back, or the modification amount if you have it fixed (which you can't do at this point, as there's no fix approved for your car). One or the other, not both.

silvrmax04

TDI
2012, 2015 Passat TDI SE
Yes the restitution is built in. So it is really only worth 11k? It lost 2/3 it value in 3 yrs (going of 2015 value) with 114k miles on a diesel. Doesn’t seem right to me.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
Yes the restitution is built in. So it is really only worth 11k? It lost 2/3 it value in 3 yrs (going of 2015 value) with 114k miles on a diesel. Doesn’t seem right to me.
How much would you pay for a used car, 5 (just about 6 now) years old, with 114k miles on it?

More than 11k?

I sure wouldn't.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
How much would you pay for a used car, 5 (just about 6 now) years old, with 114k miles on it?
Well, it's the value as of September 2015, so call it 4 years old (MY2016 was out by then). But it's also the trade-in value, not the retail or even private-party value.

WLV

TDI
2015 A3 TDI
Using the FTC tables, my buyback for my 2015 A3 is about $1,500 higher than the VW website indicates.

This is taking into account all variables, including navigation, and excess mileage.

Does anyone know why there is this discrepancy? The VW person I spoke to said their numbers are correct. I do know that the FTC tables say that the 2015 A3 numbers were only approximate. Is this why?

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Using the FTC tables, my buyback for my 2015 A3 is about $1,500 higher than the VW website indicates.
This is taking into account all variables, including navigation, and excess mileage.
Does anyone know why there is this discrepancy? The VW person I spoke to said their numbers are correct. I do know that the FTC tables say that the 2015 A3 numbers were only approximate. Is this why?
Tables are wrong. VW Website is correct.

SRTopDog

TDI
Just finished up....

So we just turned in our 2013 TDI Passat SEL Premium with just over 58,000 miles on it. We had purchased on June 4th of 2016, before the penalties became defined.

Bought the car for $18,000 with 43,005 miles on it in almost new condition....Bought back for $26,557.96 and returned in same condition with more just miles on it. Returned it on Monday April 9th at 3:30 PM. Done thru an agent at the dealership and a person remote connected from VW via iPad. Whole process took about 45 minutes. They had me start, and move the car forward and backward about ten feet. The remote connected guy actually apologized for this happening to us. No pressure to consider another VW product.

Received our electronic funds transfer on Thursday morning very early AM.

Very pleased with how it went. Cross shopped the 4 cyl and 6 cyl SEL Premium Passat, new Accord Touring 1.5 and 2.0T, and the Subaru Legacy LTD 6 cyl. Only cars with Apple CarPlay...so no new Camry.

Most impressed with the Legacy. Bought a new fresh off the production line 2018 Legacy 3.6R Limited absolutely loaded and with the accessory package we customized.

Have driven it about 300 miles now, and the Eyesight and Adaptive Cruise Control are absolutely amazing in how organic they work. On the way home from the dealership, I got caught in stop and go where interstate went from three lanes to one due to an accident, and the adaptive cruise control made the whole traffic experience almost stress free, except for the time delay. I dread the onslaught of autonomous driving cars, but this interim technology is wonderful.

Just my experience....

PC Dave

Veteran Member
TDI
Other
Once the settlement was approved, I pretty much ignored it for a couple of years, figuring I'd enjoy driving a car I like (2012 JSW 6MT) for free. I did go online and register my car for the buyback in 2016 (I think?) when we were supposed to, so I'm in the system. It's about time to check in on the buyback process (and decide how far to try to stretch my rapidly wearing Pilot Sports).

My understanding is that a buyback has to be "claimed" by September 1st - is that correct? Do you call VW at the designated number and register the "claim" that way, or can you go to a local dealer?

My understanding is also that the buyback has to be completed by 12/31/18 -is that correct? How long is the lag between making the claim, and getting an appointment to turn the car in?

Finally, I just went through the excellent buyback calculator that's been linked a few times in the last few pages. Is that number accurate? Has anyone had any issues getting the calculated amount from VW?

Thanks for any answers, they're much appreciated.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta (gone), 2002 Passat (gone), 2009 JSW (VW bought), 2010 JSW
My tires were in pretty bad shape as well. They, with the steel wheels raised some question, but it still went thru. I do believe the 1 Sept. is the deadline. Getting an appointment at the dealer is a minimum of two weeks. The process has to be done online or by calling the number listed on the site. Then you pick the dealer, schedule the appt. and show up. My numbers were accurate, you just have to be within the stated mileage range and no other major surprises.

And just today (about 5 weeks later) I presumably got my check from Bosch, although I have not opened the letter.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
<snip>
My understanding is that a buyback has to be "claimed" by September 1st - is that correct? Do you call VW at the designated number and register the "claim" that way, or can you go to a local dealer?
My understanding is also that the buyback has to be completed by 12/31/18 -is that correct? How long is the lag between making the claim, and getting an appointment to turn the car in?
Finally, I just went through the excellent buyback calculator that's been linked a few times in the last few pages. Is that number accurate? Has anyone had any issues getting the calculated amount from VW?
<snip
To address your questions, in order:
1. If by "claimed" you mean go online and register, yes. You can't do it on the phone, and don't go to a dealer, they have nothing to do with it. I guess doing it all by snail-mail is possible, but I wanted nothing to to with that. I did it all online over a year ago, sent in a .jpg of the title and notarized statement, etc. All that remains for me to do is (see #2 below).
2. Correct. Having registered, all I have to do is go back online and select a turn-in date, and go through with it. That will be sometime later this year. We will begin car shopping in June, and expect to be done with that in a month, since there aren't really that many cars that fit our needs and desires, our list being surprisingly close to the one given by "SRTopDog" in an earlier post. At some convenient time after the car we want becomes available, I'll set up the turn-in appointment.
3. All buyback calculators I have used give me the same results (including the VW one on the web site), so I'm thinking they are correct. I also went through the legal-speak in the settlement on this subject, and AFAIK it lines up with what the calculators are spitting out.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta (gone), 2002 Passat (gone), 2009 JSW (VW bought), 2010 JSW
My check from Bosch was $175. I was expecting $350?? Or did I misunderstand something?

PC Dave

Veteran Member
TDI
Other
My check from Bosch was $175. I was expecting $350?? Or did I misunderstand something?
Thanks for your answers in your previous posts, explains a lot. I'm in the system, sounds like I just need to get all the docs uploaded and approved, and there's no relationship between doing that (and getting accepted) and the date of the turn-in, i.e. I can upload docs next week but not turn the car in until October or November.

I bought one new Pilot Sport at Costco the other day (the replaced tire was worn to the cords - poor alignment), I should have 10k miles left on the rest. That's probably the gating factor for me - I'll turn the car in when the tires are unusable, I'm not going to pay for a new set.

vwshah

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI
Hi - Using the FTC table and calculator on https://agrahamg.github.io/VWBuybackCalculator/ I get $30,416 for my 2015 Golf TDI SEL with 0-5000 mileage adjustment bracket.

However, VW website is only calculating $29,593 and that's the offer I got.

Is there a reason to believe something is amiss or just the FTC tables are off by almost $1000 for 2015 Golf TDI SEL? Should I appeal?

Thanks

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Hi - Using the FTC table and calculator on https://agrahamg.github.io/VWBuybackCalculator/ I get $30,416 for my 2015 Golf TDI SEL with 0-5000 mileage adjustment bracket.

However, VW website is only calculating $29,593 and that's the offer I got.

Is there a reason to believe something is amiss or just the FTC tables are off by almost $1000 for 2015 Golf TDI SEL? Should I appeal?

Thanks
VW offer is always correct. Your appeal will go nowhere. Have fun!