Anyone know if the new Passat has an intercooler

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
This may be a stupid question, but I was poking under the hood of my Passat today and the intake plumbing looks significantly different (among other things) than the CR TDI Jetta that it replaced. The main difference is I cannot find any intake plumbing going to an intercooler. Did not crawl under and look around, only from the top... Anybody have access to ETKA and can confirm this? Also if this is the case, any thoughts as to why? I know the Jetta has had several complaints of the intercooler accumulating condensation and ingesting into engine.... Thoughts and comments???

wolfsburg_de

Ross-Tech AssociateVendor , w/Business number
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
It has a water-air intercooler. Check out the rectangle in the piping just below the intake manifold.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
I saw that and even saw the coolant lines going to it but thought it was some kind of preheater to make the car warm up faster. I have noticed this car seems to warm up much faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
It IS a fix for iced up intercoolers. Whether they did it for that reason or others, who knows. This design will not have a freeze up problem.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Good to know. Although I never had the icing problem on my MKV, I guess it is good for prevention in case it ever becomes a problem in my case... Doesn't seem to affect the way it runs although the Passat is a larger car for me, and in my case a DSG as well...

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
It IS a fix for iced up intercoolers. Whether they did it for that reason or others, who knows. This design will not have a freeze up problem.
That's very good news, can you explain the how's/why's behind the new design and the non-freeze up results.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Dead simple explanation. The new water-to-air design is not capable of cooling the air going through it below freezing. Therefore ... ice cannot form.