2012 6 Speed Manual Passat -DMF Clutch?

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
Just wondering if anyone knows if the 2012 manual Passat has a DMF clutch? I ask because many people have said the DMF is a big reason why they stall the earlier Jetta's and Golf's, and I have found the 2012 6 speed manual Passat very easy to drive, I've never stalled it and it seems really hard to do so.....So, I was wondering if it has the DMF? Hoping it doesn't, but betting it does.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I'm pretty sure that all VW diesel engine cars have a DMF. It is to smooth out the power delivery and make car easier to drive. The stalling issue is mostly caused by the ECU which simply refuses to allow you to lug the engine. If rpms drop too low, it just cuts off the engine - immediately. It does not give you a chance to "save it" by giving it a little more accelerator pedal. It just takes a little getting used to then stalling is not an issue. More recent versions of the ECU software have made this issue less of a problem. This is probably the main reason why you had no stalling problems with the new Passat.

Have Fun!

Don

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
Thanks Don....any idea how many miles the DMF's seem to last in the manual transmissions? I know these things can vary quite a bit based on many factors, just curious about an avg mileage range.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Thanks Don....any idea how many miles the DMF's seem to last in the manual transmissions? I know these things can vary quite a bit based on many factors, just curious about an avg mileage range.
I really do not know. I know that VW had some problems with earlier DMFs failing, but I have not heard of any problems with the newer ones. This does not mean that they cannot (or will not) fail someday, but so far they seem to be pretty good. Only time will tell for sure.

Have Fun!

Don