RNS510 Problem

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Not I.

Does it only happen on Sirius stations, or am/fm as well? If only Sirius then my bet is the antenna maybe actually went bad. Should be an easy fix by the dealership if that is the case.

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
Not I.

Does it only happen on Sirius stations, or am/fm as well? If only Sirius then my bet is the antenna maybe actually went bad. Should be an easy fix by the dealership if that is the case.
Happens on all bands intermittently. VW had to replace a defective dash after I purchased and I would bet they didn't plug the antenna in good. Already had to snap some of the pieces into place they didn't complete.

Checking to see if this is more common though.

Texas Realtor

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT, 2006 Jeep Rubicon 6MT & 2002 F250 7.3 Diesel 4x4
Happens on all bands intermittently. VW had to replace a defective dash after I purchased and I would bet they didn't plug the antenna in good. Already had to snap some of the pieces into place they didn't complete.

Checking to see if this is more common though.
I know which mechanic worked on your dash replacement. You went to Metro Irving VW right?:D

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
I know which mechanic worked on your dash replacement. You went to Metro Irving VW right?:D
I went to Hiley in Arlington and the techs were flown in from Chatanooga. They had representatives from VW to replace the dash and the dash manufacture reps there to inspect the defects.

Everything looked good with the exception of the bottom piece of trim that goes above the steering column was not snapped in all the way.

The error has cleared itself now and I wanted to see if anyone else has seen this, will connect VCDS and see if any error codes are present.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Depite the blunder, this serves as yet another example of VWoA stepping-up customer sat. & quality improvement efforts. If this keeps up we'll have to start saying nice things about them.

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
Depite the blunder, this serves as yet another example of VWoA stepping-up customer sat. & quality improvement efforts. If this keeps up we'll have to start saying nice things about them.
I am not complaining at all, impressed by so much effort going into correcting an obvious problem with their production process.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
I have never heard VW sending out engineers or techs from the plants before to actually do or check out these issues.

Is this something new for VW?

Texas Realtor

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT, 2006 Jeep Rubicon 6MT & 2002 F250 7.3 Diesel 4x4
I guess Metro VW also replaced the dash on another Passat and same thing the engineers had to fly in to show the local tech how to work on the dash and see the defect. So now we know they had two dash replaced in DFW along.

What was the defect in the dash? Or did I read that something did not snap in correctly?

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
I have never heard VW sending out engineers or techs from the plants before to actually do or check out these issues.

Is this something new for VW?
I would guess it maybe new. It could also be their procedure for bringing a new plant with a new car design online.

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
I guess Metro VW also replaced the dash on another Passat and same thing the engineers had to fly in to show the local tech how to work on the dash and see the defect. So now we know they had two dash replaced in DFW along.

What was the defect in the dash? Or did I read that something did not snap in correctly?
There were indention's in the dash that had a hard substance underneath. I read of another Passat owner on another forum that reported the same thing. VW sent the reps that manufactured the dash to inspect the problem and correct their production process.