532 MILE CLUB.. ECHO Echo echo . . ... . ?

vwmikey99

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GLK 250 + 2017 Tacoma + 2014 Jetta
Anyone still there?

or 856KM club.

44.3L

80% highway, 20% city(or bad highway traffic)

Thats right until the fuel light came on (I filled up about 150ft after it came on)

I've kept my highway driving around 65mph (105 kmh)

Fuel pressures all at 35psi
bridgestone turanza tires

I dont jam tonnes of fuel, once it clicks, maybe 1/2 to 1 liter more.

I cleaned the intake, fuel filter, change the oil regularly.

Thanks
Mike

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
hey, great, I made the 532 mile club,... (snip)
__. I made the 532 club for the first time this weekend. I was passing a Flying J with low prices so I filled up with just over 540 on the trip. Of course, the fuel guage was showing about 1/2 tank at the time.

__. It sounds as if the original poster is doing the right things (slowing down, upping tire pressures, etc). Is this an A5 with an auto?????
'

dave333

Veteran Member
TDI
Did own... None right now!
If I'm cipherin' correctly, that's right around 45mpg...

Yeeeeeha!

Which TDI do you have???

NOW,

How many MPG or l/km can you get ripping around, foot in the floor, scarin' wimmin' and children???

Taggs

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Blue
I am unsure what is considered good fuel economy, but with a heavy foot (80mph) average I will get 41 miles per gal. I have a 01 with a 5 speed and a Speed Tuning cpu mod.

vwmikey99

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GLK 250 + 2017 Tacoma + 2014 Jetta
Beating on my car, I'll get around 735km (456 miles) without venting, fuel doesnt make it right to the door ;-), and thats to the fuel light.

00 JETTA TDI, 5-speed, with 135,000 KM (84k miles)

What else do I have to do to this thing? I just replaced the MAF sensor, no difference. I cleaned the intake manifold so well 2 months ago you could eat off it ;-)

Is it save to say everyone with a high mileage report vents, and goes way past the fuel light? Or am I missing something here?

Thanks
Mike

Kayakkermit

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI, 2002, Silver
Thats not that far from what my '01 and '02 gets, we average closer to 110kph - 120 kph (me driving the 110, wife driving the 120 - at least, that's all she readily admits to while having that sill grin on her face...)
Normally speaking we are coming in around 950/980 kms / 57L
I have once gotten 1022 kms/ 57L, but that was on long distance continuous running.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Is it save to say everyone with a high mileage report vents, and goes way past the fuel light? Or am I missing something here?
High fuel mileage and high miles per tank are intertwined, but they need to be kept separate.

People that report high miles per tank vent fully and drive way past the fuel light.

These people also get very high mileage due to many many things that have been reported here.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
How many MPG or l/km can you get ripping around, foot in the floor, scarin' wimmin' and children???
I get about 42-43mpg driving like that... However that's usually close to 700 miles for me since I have no vent and I take a little more time at the pump and fill it until there's clear fuel right up to the cap... I can probably go a little farther since I've only gone about 50 miles or so after the fuel light comes on... They say that the tank will hold about 17 gallons, the most I've stuffed in there is 15.9...

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
(snip) People that report high miles per tank vent fully and drive way past the fuel light.

These people also get very high mileage due to many many things that have been reported here.
__. Hoe da phoam! I usually fill at the first convenient station after the light comes on although consistent results indicate that there's over 2 gallons left in the tank when it does so (grey-haired, broken down, thowed out, retired, old cheap guys who drive slow like to keep the anxiety level low). I fill so that absolute foam-free fuel is up to the filler neck. I normally get in the high-800's or about 900 miles doing so (a little less maybe now with winter fuel) -- I'm not good with the French measurements (ugh) but I think that's in the 1400-1450 Klik range. But it takes work.
'

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D
532 miles club heh????????

I get there at half a tank in winter and at 1/3 of a tank in summer...

If you wanna go for more distance: vent.

If you stuffed in 15.9, it's because it wasn't empty.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
lol, its called the Metric system

900 miles x's 1.6 - 1440km's..

Excellent tanks!!!! The most I have squeezed out of mine is a tad bit over 800 miles.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Anyone still there?

or 856KM club.

44.3L

80% highway, 20% city(or bad highway traffic)

Thats right until the fuel light came on (I filled up about 150ft after it came on)

I've kept my highway driving around 65mph (105 kmh)

Fuel pressures all at 35psi
bridgestone turanza tires

I dont jam tonnes of fuel, once it clicks, maybe 1/2 to 1 liter more.

I cleaned the intake, fuel filter, change the oil regularly.

Thanks
Mike
I've gone about 80miles after the fuel light came on MANY times. You should be able to do at least 60 miles more with a 5-speed given the same type driving. The most I've done is 92miles after the light has come on.

You should be in the 600 mile club with my advice. Good luck.

catmandoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta gls tdi,91 2dr jetta gl n/a diesel
heres a little observation i've made over the last 4-5 tank fulls.when i get low if i fill before i go home for the nite and vent and wait til the foam settles and i have clear fuel clear to the top.then drive my 2 miles home and 2 miles back and top it off in the morning i can usually get 1/4 to 1/2 gallon to go in.and it gives me that extra 25-40 miles,before it pops off the full mark.so even if i vent and fill to the brim,it still has some air in there somewhere

chi

TDI
2002 Golf TDI GL Black
I totally relate to this post. My car is always around 530 miles when the fuel light comes on. I almost always vent up to a dollar more of fuel. Maybe a lil less. Either way, it always says at least 530. I usually drive around 75 to 80 on highyway going to work. Then i drop to 70 to 75 at night leaving work. This car just makes me want to drive fast.

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
This car just makes me want to drive fast.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah it does...

I can usually get about 550-600 outta my tank and that's up to the fuel light. i tend not to go too much farther after that, although i know i could. And that's pulling at 80-85 back and forth to work and being in need of some minor maintence (fuel filter and intake cleaning)

Hemi345

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Jetta Dark Blue 5-speed
I've done several mods to my car over the last few months but I have made zero long trips. I started using it to deliver pizzas on the side since my military job now is <40 hours a week on average and am still averaging 40mpgs. It idles alot during deliveries and my daily commute is 6 miles each way for my main job.

I get about 600 per tank currently. I'm eagerly waiting on two cans of diesel purge from tdiparts.com along with a 24 pack case of Stanadyne one shots. After I perform the purge I will have done just about everything suggested for higher mileage and maint.

Next month I'm going to try to get to chicago from Oklahoma City without refueling (850 miles). I'm going to drive very conservatively and draft semis as much as possible. Anyone wanna guess the no ^%&$ max miles you can go with the fuel light on?