Auto Transmission exploded and not sure where to start

Lax02TDI

TDI
2002 1.9L 8V
Hi! The auto Tranny in my 02 jetta Tdi exploded taking off from a red light, The only gear that works still is Reverse, so i got to have fun driving home in reverse, luckily it was right around the corner from my house. I knew this was a crapy trans to begin with but wasnt planning on it failing catastophically. I clearly need a new Transmission but know very little about them and have n clue where to start. I talked to a few Transmisson shops around but they all said they couldnt on my Diesel jetta. Any help would be awesome

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
+1 agree with drucifer. My O1M died at 252,000 miles (would only work in 3rd gear and reverse), so I had a 5 speed conversion done. Instant 8 MPG gain on fuel economy ! Car worked much better (gears are better suited to the TDI). I'm currently at 361,000 miles and I'm looking for no less than 500,000 before I get rid of the car.

If you can't find one - (should be able to) - time for a new car - it IS 15 years old, after all.

If you need someone to do this for you - There's somebody up in Dallas who can help (look for thread = "project: Kill the auto wabbit" or something like that). Only negative thing I have about mine is that I have a constant "Check Engine Light" - it's because I don't even have provision for the coolant glowplugs...

Lax02TDI

TDI
2002 1.9L 8V
Yeah i wanna do the Manual swap but not sure here to get the parts or even how to make sure whatever i buy wil match up to my car

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
I'm pretty sure the only thing TDI that's different is the transmission itself. Look for a TDI on Craigslist that's being parted out, wrecked or has major damage like a snapped timing belt.
Check. the for sale section in this site both vendor and private. On the private side look at threads by Dutch auto parts and ryanp. This will give you an idea of budget so you can determine if buying one locally or having one shipped to your door.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
Only negative thing I have about mine is that I have a constant "Check Engine Light" - it's because I don't even have provision for the coolant glowplugs...
Did you recode the ecu for manual using VCDS? Also the CAN-bus gateway needs to be changed to eliminate the auto trans. Page 35 in my howto below gives particulars on how to do this. The coolant plugs or lack thereof won’t cause a CEL if you are referring to the 2000 bug in your sig.
What CEL code(s) are you getting?

Last edited:

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Did you recode the ecu for manual using VCDS? Also the CAN-bus gateway needs to be changed to eliminate the auto trans. Page 35 in my howto below gives particulars on how to do this. The coolant plugs or lack thereof won’t cause a CEL if you are referring to the 2000 bug in your sig.
What CEL code(s) are you getting?
CEL - (generic OBDII reader) - P0380 - Glow plug Circuit A - this may be a legit - one of the plugs was rounded out (by yours truly) several years ago. My trusted mechanic says it needs a head job to get it out - And I have yet to have problems with cold weather starting (been down to single digits in NC and I started right up.)

I don't have a VCDS, but I believe it was recoded for manual (I don't see the auto-trans gear indicators in the dash readout). Jim Bote did the changeover. I do have a Rocketchip stage 2 tune now also. (stock 11mm fuelpump and pp520 nozzles as well).

Yes, it's the 2000 NB. Runs like a scalded ape - I can make smoke at both ends on dry pavement in 1st and 2nd gear (and reverse) :) .

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
Yeah if jimbote did it, it will be right with correct coding. Sounds like just a standard glow plug with the P0380 code.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thank for the reassurance. after I start a new job, may want to look at getting the head job done (along with an air conditioner compressor replacement). I'm also getting close to Timing Belt replacement mileage.

richmondvatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon 5-speed,2003 Jetta GL Wagon, 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 2013 CC 2.0T
I'm pretty sure the only thing TDI that's different is the transmission itself. Look for a TDI on Craigslist that's being parted out, wrecked or has major damage like a snapped timing belt.
Check. the for sale section in this site both vendor and private. On the private side look at threads by Dutch auto parts and ryanp. This will give you an idea of budget so you can determine if buying one locally or having one shipped to your door.
I believe the axles are different as well.

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
I'm sure a transmission shop would be able to do it. Whether they will or not and how much you pay is to be to be determined. Your probably better off looking at the trusted mechanics list. I don't think runonbeer is still in Texas but the shop should still be running. He is in austin. Jetta 97 is in Dallas and should also be considered. Get there input on where they want to source parts.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
so do i need to Get the swap done at a TDI shop? or can i get it done at any Transmission shop
Your best bet is member "alphasenior" (Brian) on the north side of Dallas. He has a full service shop. He wrote thebook on the 5 speed swap. Second would be Steve Glover's shop in Ft. Worth aka;TDIGuy.

No one in Houston has the experience doing this swap.

Lax02TDI

TDI
2002 1.9L 8V
I live about 2.5 hours West of Dallas. so ill check out those places I found a 01 jetta Tdi for parts and he has everything i need exept for the Clutch for 700$

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
In the Classifieds section you'll find Dutch Auto. Check out their offerings: even with shipping the prices are often better than you can get locally. I seem to recall pricing a 5spd swap package from them for about $1k, and it included everything, even the clutch (I believe). RyanP also has manual packages, though I'm not sure if he does 5spds (6spds are his specialty- I have one car with one of them in it0.