Key fob options

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I have an event coming up, and a couple of concerns and questions.

Is the kessy fob water proof?
Seriously water proof?

Not like dip in water and quickly pick out. I'm doing a warrior dash and it's going to be a slop muddy gritty sandy event.

#2. My 09 had a service key that was just the physical key and no electronics. It was the answer to carry kayaking and such. Can the stupid-ship cut me just a service key that'll open my doors and glove box?

Thanks.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Oh, I guess it's called a valet key.

But aarodg group says it needs to be programmed to the immob, which seems it cannot be done with vcds?

Which is fine, I just need it to open door and glove box to reach the factory fob.

From what I read, and understand, factory valet keys don't open the trunk or glove box, but aarodg keys do.

And they don't list anything for the '15s...?

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Just go to an REI store or some other camping store in your area and buy a dry bag. I have friends who do white water kayaking and NEVER have problems with car keys...

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
If it's a soft bag maybe that'll work.

Running a 10k with something flopping in shorts will get aggravating fast....

Also be nice just to have a simple cut key, as I pin them inside my shorts pocket, as running I've had the key jump out.

On mud runs I've lost my shoe....

Curious what's going to happen swimming through a mud pit....

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
When i go on mud runs i just hide my key behind a tire under the car. Ive had no issues with doing this.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Hmm.

True. I might do that. Guess no one on tdiclub has ever had a valet key cut?

I'll call in a few hours.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
You have a nice little hidy hole by your rear hitch cut out

Also I take it you don't have kessy? one word of caution with those with kessy and tying to hide a key on the car, there is a rear kessy sensor in the bummer bracket and if you stow your key there the car won't be able to be unlocked but the rear hatch will be able to be opened.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Not available for the 15s.

I said there's a roll pin you can knock out for the key blade to be removed.

He said I wasn't supposed to do that. I said I did and put it back together. That's how they're made. I asked if he can cut just a blade, he said no.

Goofy ****.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I have kessy. Keyless entry and push button.

There's always a keyhole. Batteries are not dependable and do go dead, fob and vehicle.

Just so ****ing difficult to make a God damn key blade. Why? What is the reason? I have 2 with electronics attached that are useless with dead batteries. So there's the mechanical fail safe. He also said they're not water proof.

Why can't I just have another mechanical fail safe made?

My 09 didn't have the radio stuff either. It would only physically open the door, and not start the car. Or open the glove box, or the trunk. It was the perfect answer. I locked my fob in the car under the seat, and me and my buddy each carried a copied blade to open the door when we got back.

I tried the next to tire trick. Anyone can open the door.... Fob is too close.... Garh!

Probably have to recode something....

Last edited:

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE

There's always a keyhole. Batteries are not dependable and do go dead, fob and vehicle.

Just so ****ing difficult to make a God damn key blade. Why? What is the reason? I have 2 with electronics attached that are useless with dead batteries. So there's the mechanical fail safe. He also said they're not water proof.

My 09 didn't have the radio stuff either. It would only physically open the door, and not start the car. Or open the glove box, or the trunk. It was the perfect answer. I locked my fob in the car under the seat, and me and my buddy each carried a copied blade to open the door when we got back.

I tried the next to tire trick. Anyone can open the door.... Fob is too close.... Garh!

Batteries are about $1...take 5 seconds to replace...
If you wrap the key in foil, a bag made for this or even store it in a metal Altoids tin...no problem.
The bag/foil/tin stops the RF so you can store the key anyplace on the car....

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL

Oh nooo. I guess i fidnt try to open the doors....

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Batteries are about $1...take 5 seconds to replace...
If you wrap the key in foil, a bag made for this or even store it in a metal Altoids tin...no problem.
The bag/foil/tin stops the RF so you can store the key anyplace on the car....
Good idea.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I found a local shop that'll copy and cut a blade for $10.

I'll try then tin can/foil trick to kill RF if it still works under seat.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Batteries are about $1...take 5 seconds to replace....

Not the issue. But how does one use keyless entry on a car with a dead battery to run the power locks to open the door to open the hood?

Back to square one.... Door handle and mechanical tumbler....

And please find me a car battery that's $1 and a method to replace in 5 seconds.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I would talk to these people to see if they can help. They can cut a key by picture. For example:

http://www.tunemyeuro.com/key-fob-blank-haa/

When you need to use it pull the battery from the remote and leave in the car. Use the "key" to open the drivers door. There is a cylinder there behind the door handle panel. Wear the key on a necklace or something.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Not the issue. But how does one use keyless entry on a car with a dead battery to run the power locks to open the door to open the hood?

Back to square one.... Door handle and mechanical tumbler....

And please find me a car battery that's $1 and a method to replace in 5 seconds.

Was referring to the battery in the key...
If you just remove it...you can toss the key under the mat...then have the battery hidden...then reinstall it...and you can start the car.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I would talk to these people to see if they can help. They can cut a key by picture. For example:

http://www.tunemyeuro.com/key-fob-blank-haa/

When you need to use it pull the battery from the remote and leave in the car. Use the "key" to open the drivers door. There is a cylinder there behind the door handle panel. Wear the key on a necklace or something.
They emailed be back. They cannot cut anything for the 15s. Yes I know there's a tumbler in the driver's door handle. Its the mechanical fail safe if the electric locks don't work or vehicle battery is dead, or key fob battery is dead. I also mentioned in a previous post I found a local shop that'll cut a key for $10.

nomadic

TDI
'15 Golf TDI S dsg
Hmm.

True. I might do that. Guess no one on tdiclub has ever had a valet key cut?

I'll call in a few hours.

I haven't yet but plan to. I cut a key for my '14 Jetta SE ($27 at local locksmith shop). I didn't like running with the bulky fob. Whenever I drove somewhere to run, I'd put the fob in the glove and lock it with the cut key and then just lock the door using the cut key.
Been doing that for years.

Going to do the same with my golf TDI. Only crappy thing about the golf is that I have to lift the cover off on the door handle to get to the key slot. I'm tempted to keep it off and maybe paint the key slot to match the car.
The Golf key fob is like a brick.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I haven't yet but plan to. I cut a key for my '14 Jetta SE ($27 at local locksmith shop). I didn't like running with the bulky fob. Whenever I drove somewhere to run, I'd put the fob in the glove and lock it with the cut key and then just lock the door using the cut key.
Been doing that for years.

Going to do the same with my golf TDI. Only crappy thing about the golf is that I have to lift the cover off on the door handle to get to the key slot. I'm tempted to keep it off and maybe paint the key slot to match the car.
The Golf key fob is like a brick.
Baha!

Glad I'm not alone. I do alot of events, so you as well can also appreciate my idea of safety pinning a light single key to the inside of the shorts pocket! :D

Straight running I arm band my phone and can pin the fob in my shorts pocket, but tromping/swimming through mud I really don't want to test the ruggedness of this fob...

Yeah, it's unfortunate there's that plastic cover, but oh well.

This is a rare sloppy event, so along the rarity comes popping that tumbler cover off.

I'm getting 2 made, my buddy will be carrying a 2nd just in case.

One day jogging my solo house key jumped out of my shorts pocket, so now I pin them down in the far bottom.

Only reason I noticed it was a 15 mile run over 2 laps. I saw it on the ground on the 2nd lap!

I'm assuming the car disregards the fob being inside the vehicle since the car was locked physically @ the door module?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Well they changed the way the valet key setup works. Used to be you gave them the valet key (just a regular key) and it only operated the doors and ignition. Now you are supposed to give them the remote and keep the valet key which only works the glove box and such. If I remember correctly. So getting a valet key may not help you at all. They used to make a credit card type key as well for the older cars. Audi used to make them but would work for VW.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
...I'm assuming the car disregards the fob being inside the vehicle since the car was locked physically @ the door module?...
It might not let you lock it with the fob inside. You might have to open the fob and remove the battery.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Just got it cut.

It will let you lock and unlock regardless the order of fob or tumbler actions, no coding or battery popping required... ... .....BUT......

the fob must be within steering column or under the driver seat, glove box, but not around any door handles or the rear hatch assembly, on top or under the vehicle.

. If the fob is positioned juuust right regarding sensor proximity and who supersedes the other, even through you lock with the tumbler with fob in car, if anyone bumps the handle they can still lock and unlock, possibly start the ignition, I didn't try that, but I've just done a 1am-4pm shift and my beer is getting warm.

Ugh. Vw.... But I have the solution to my headache.

Now I have 2 dumb keys that weigh grams without electronics, for $20.

Oddly I cannot roll windows up or down holding the door tumbler. Not sure if it's not featured or not enabled, or limited regarding a dumb key cut

It might not let you lock it with the fob inside. You might have to open the fob and remove the battery.

Last edited:

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Dealer said there is no such thing for the 15s...

So I hand the driver my key fob that will open my glove box with my handgun?

Sounds sketchy....

Seems there's no easy way to detach the key from the key fob either... All I see is a roll pin...

My 09 the service key would open and start car, but not the glove box compartment.

Well they changed the way the valet key setup works. Used to be you gave them the valet key (just a regular key) and it only operated the doors and ignition. Now you are supposed to give them the remote and keep the valet key which only works the glove box and such. If I remember correctly. So getting a valet key may not help you at all. They used to make a credit card type key as well for the older cars. Audi used to make them but would work for VW.

Last edited:

nomadic

TDI
'15 Golf TDI S dsg
Baha!

Glad I'm not alone. I do alot of events, so you as well can also appreciate my idea of safety pinning a light single key to the inside of the shorts pocket! :D

Straight running I arm band my phone and can pin the fob in my shorts pocket, but tromping/swimming through mud I really don't want to test the ruggedness of this fob...

Yeah, it's unfortunate there's that plastic cover, but oh well.

This is a rare sloppy event, so along the rarity comes popping that tumbler cover off.

I'm getting 2 made, my buddy will be carrying a 2nd just in case.

One day jogging my solo house key jumped out of my shorts pocket, so now I pin them down in the far bottom.

Only reason I noticed it was a 15 mile run over 2 laps. I saw it on the ground on the 2nd lap!

I'm assuming the car disregards the fob being inside the vehicle since the car was locked physically @ the door module?
Yes since no pushbutton start, you can lock the fob in the car and the car will still lock and stay locked with the cut key/door slot. You just can't start the car with the cut key.

All my running shorts have a zippered compartment someplace. Most in the back. That's where I keep the cut key. No need to safety pin anything. It always stays put.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Yes since no pushbutton start, you can lock the fob in the car and the car will still lock and stay locked with the cut key/door slot. You just can't start the car with the cut key.
All my running shorts have a zippered compartment someplace. Most in the back. That's where I keep the cut key. No need to safety pin anything. It always stays put.

He has Kessy, look at post 12.

Bare in mind VW stopped including locking glove boxes all together so problem solved with this valet thing.

As for the kessy, taking the battery out of the fob doesn't mean someone can't start the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3nH3CZFRNo

but if you lock a "dead kessy" in the car with your dumb key, I guess it'll work.

nomadic

TDI
'15 Golf TDI S dsg
He has Kessy, look at post 12.
Bare in mind VW stopped including locking glove boxes all together so problem solved with this valet thing.
As for the kessy, taking the battery out of the fob doesn't mean someone can't start the car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3nH3CZFRNo
but if you lock a "dead kessy" in the car with your dumb key, I guess it'll work.
Oh didn't realize he had push button start. But I did test that out on a GTI and found you could lock the remote in the car as well.

Luckily I don't have push button start but do have a locking glove box!

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Haha.

I have kessy, push button start, and a lockable glove compartment.

I find it odd I have to hand out my fob to the valet so they can bring the car back.

Unfortunately they'll have access to my handgun. It's in its own locked case, inside the glove compartment, but then they can just carry off with the case? Seems a flawed system....

Is that a concern with this design?

Last edited: