hydraulic valve lifter to adjustable valve lifter

elvisvwvw

TDI
passat b4, golf mk1,
i was trying to find anyone do that kind of conversion on the internet.
so any help would be apreciated,
the car is 1.9 tdi 81kW

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I think the old JH engine (1.8L high-output SOHC CIS gas GTI engine) uses the larger solid lifters that can be used in the TDIs. I had this info somewhere and cannot find it. :eek:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I had a JH rabbit and it used mechanical lifters. What type of a fat lobe cam are you trying to run?

elvisvwvw

TDI
passat b4, golf mk1,
just a standard cam, in my village country i dont have many aftermarket cams for tdi :) i heard a "story" that with lifter mod can gain a lot more torqe than with ordinary H. lifter??

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I've never heard of that. Also you would need to get the correct adjustment shims and tools for swapping the shims. I thought cams were made to run one type of lifter or the other and that you shouldn't mix and match a hydraulic lifter cam with mechanical lifters.

oilhammer

TDI
Depending on the lobe profile, that is true.

However, if you were wanting to build an extreme performance TDI that could spin a little faster safely, a solid lifter affords easier use of stronger valve springs. Not sure though it would really matter on a VE TDI as the pump itself may be the limiting factor for RPM.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
TDIs don't rev that high anyway... even a heavily modded one won't go much further than 6000 RPM. Most of VW's gas engines that still use hydraulic lifters will exceed that.

elvisvwvw

TDI
passat b4, golf mk1,
my goal isnt to make engine spin faster but to improve intake and exhaust without porting the head , i thought that hyd. lifters had some problems when the oil gets hoter and more fluid... i mean that the oil pressure is a factor witch determines opening distance of the valve.and with solid lifter that factor would be eliminated

the tool itself to adjust valve tolerances isnt a problem :)

sorry for my bad english!

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
you'd be better off getting a higher lift cam.

oilhammer

TDI
my goal isnt to make engine spin faster but to improve intake and exhaust without porting the head , i thought that hyd. lifters had some problems when the oil gets hoter and more fluid... i mean that the oil pressure is a factor witch determines opening distance of the valve.and with solid lifter that factor would be eliminated
I think you are not understanding how a [properly functioning] hydraulic lash adjuster works. They do not vary the lift with oil pressure or engine RPM. The internal springs regulate that. I do not think a conversion to solid lifters is going to help in your goal of better flow through the head.

rentstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, 05, platnum
thank you that would be nice

JH lifters

35.00 mm diameter
28.34 mm total hight without adjusting shim

2.76 mm deep recess at the top for the adjusting shim

21.34 mm bottom recess to valve mating surface

Normal shims are around 3.80mm-3.90mm

Rent

elvisvwvw

TDI
passat b4, golf mk1,
thanks guys for help, this was educational, a lot,

as for the theory i am still convinced that solid lifter will open valves more 0.25mm or 0.15 mm when hot depends on adjusting shims ,than hydraulic lifters. and to combine this with cams this is an improvment

thanks guys once again

best regards, elvis

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Please post up your results if you do this with period updates of how things are lasting down the road.

rentstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, 05, platnum
I can donate lifters and shims. I don't have a jh anymore and just have a whole head lying in the garage. Some day I will have a garage sale...

elvisvwvw

TDI
passat b4, golf mk1,
no problem...i'll try it in a couple of weeks, for now i will keep hyd lifters.. about donating ..heheheh :)
someone closer maybe... ;)

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
I will note that when VW switched from solid lifters to hydraulic with the 1.6L non-turbo diesel, they lost 2 hp!

So going back to the solid/mechanical lifters may very well yield a hair more power :p

oilhammer

TDI
I will note that when VW switched from solid lifters to hydraulic with the 1.6L non-turbo diesel, they lost 2 hp!

So going back to the solid/mechanical lifters may very well yield a hair more power :p
Yeah, funny though because both my 52hp A2s always felt signifigantly peppier than ANY of my 54hp A1s did, despite the A2 being a bit heavier. Must be the gearing.

And my 48hp A1 felt peppier than any of them! It just had no 5th gear, and the 4 speeds in those days really only allowed for about 70 MPH cruising speeds to fell comfortable, far too slow for me. So when we moved to the sticks, I reluctantly sold my little Bunny to my brother, where it was sadly tooefed slowly over the course of the next two years :(