VR6 Axles? Where to buy?

sk8rdi16

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf
It seems as though my axle(s) are going out, so I think I'm going to upgrade to the VR6 axles. I read everything I need, flanges, etc. but, where is the best place to get axles. I tried car-part.com, but everywhere in the Southeast I called said they had none. I've read to stay away from the remanufactured ones unless I want to change them every 6 months(dont't). So I want to get new ones. No local places can get new ones for the VR6.

Does anyone know about EMPI axles? Thepartsbin.com has them for right at $100 a piece for new ones. Would these be good, and last a while?

Also are the VR6 axles much heavier? I see many people using them, but I don't really want to add an extra 10lbs to the front of my Golf. I'm not planning on too much power like VNT20 power just nozzles and chip for now, do I even need the VR6s?

clove911

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf, blue
sk8rdi16 said:
It seems as though my axle(s) are going out, so I think I'm going to upgrade to the VR6 axles. I read everything I need, flanges, etc. but, where is the best place to get axles. I tried car-part.com, but everywhere in the Southeast I called said they had none. I've read to stay away from the remanufactured ones unless I want to change them every 6 months(dont't). So I want to get new ones. No local places can get new ones for the VR6.

Does anyone know about EMPI axles? Thepartsbin.com has them for right at $100 a piece for new ones. Would these be good, and last a while?

Also are the VR6 axles much heavier? I see many people using them, but I don't really want to add an extra 10lbs to the front of my Golf. I'm not planning on too much power like VNT20 power just nozzles and chip for now, do I even need the VR6s?
No, you don't need the VR6 ones if your not going to upgrade. I ran RC4 for ever with my axles on, and only changed them, because it was time to upgrade. I've never had any problems with stock axels. If you want, I have a used set, that are fine. PM me and I can get them to you for shipping plus a couple bucks for the trouble.

sk8rdi16

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf
I am planning on upgrading. I am going from the Sprint 520s to PP either 520 or the 764 (cost is $2 more). And I am going to be getting RCed in Feb! :D
I found some VR6 axles at a junkyard where my parents live for $75 for the pair with ~30k on them. And I found the flanges on the 'tex for $36 shipped! So I'm on my way with the VR6 axle swap. Thanks for the offer!

grimkiller

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
when swapping axle from stock to the vr6. what flange do u need and where can u get it? do u have to have this flange to put the bigger axles on?

cage

Top Post Dawg
I don't think axles have been a weak point. I think you should concentrate on the differential. Those give out with hard driving/racing. (after the stock clutch of course)