Dilemma. What to do, what to do!!

pokey

TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI S Line
Hi all.
I have a 2012 A3 TDI S-line, and I have just read the offer letter, and It claims I have selected the buyback with trade-in offer. Can't remember selecting this, but it was almost a year ago when I started the whole process. It says I can change my option, and I'm torn between them just buying it back outright, or keeping it and taking they're "geezz sorry bout that" money. I really like the car, outside of the road noise that is, but wonder what it will be worth in a few years.
Any body have any ideas about this??
Thanks!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If that is worrying you then sell it back. No one knows what they will be worth in a few years so save yourself some grief and sell it back. I don't think there ever was a "buyback with trade-in offer". I see your not in the US so things might have been different there.

2010TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan TDI 6MT, 2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG (sold), 2014 Jetta Sedan TDI DSG (sold), 2015 Golf SportWagen TDI DSG
Hi all.
but wonder what it will be worth in a few years.
Any body have any ideas about this??
Thanks!
I do. It will be worth less in a few years than what it is worth now :rolleyes:

2010TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan TDI 6MT, 2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG (sold), 2014 Jetta Sedan TDI DSG (sold), 2015 Golf SportWagen TDI DSG
I don't think there ever was a "buyback with trade-in offer". I see your not in the US so things might have been different there.
It looks like there were more options in the settlement in Canada than in the US, specifically looking at the 2.0L. There is a similar trade-in credit plus restitution provision in the US under the 3.0L settlement.

Looking at the Canadian Settlement Agreement:

Page 33, Section 4.2.2

Buyback With Trade-In. Eligible Owners that continue to be owners of Eligible Vehicles through the Owner Transaction Date may trade in their Eligible Vehicle to an Authorized VW Dealer and apply the Fair Market Value of the Eligible Vehicle towards the purchase price of a new or used Volkswagen- or Audi-brand vehicle from that Authorized VW Dealer. Eligible Owners who choose this option will receive the Owner Damages Payment and a payment of the remainder, if any, of the Vehicle Value after subtracting the Fair Market Value. For an Eligible Owner’s purposes, the Buyback With Trade-In is intended to be functionally equivalent to a vehicle trade-in in the ordinary course of business of an automobile dealer located in Canada.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
If all you care about are $$$, sell it back . . . If you like the car, take the fix . . .

hhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Tdi SEL premium
I’m on the fence too. But that buy back money is too much to pass.
My car is cherry too. 57k 2012 Passat. Love this car, but pretty sure , taking the money.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
It's kind of silly how we get emotionally attached to our cars (I'm just as guilty as anyone). At the end of the day they are just machines that get us from one point to another. If the buyback makes the most economic sense, I'd take that big check.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It's kind of silly how we get emotionally attached to our cars (I'm just as guilty as anyone). At the end of the day they are just machines that get us from one point to another. If the buyback makes the most economic sense, I'd take that big check.
It's amazing how much people are attached to getting a few dollars for an item they rely on and use every day, and how the idea of getting more money than the car is worth in the open market compels them to part with a vehicle they enjoy and has served them well.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
And then there are us crazy addicted ones who bought one New from the dealership last year knowing full well that we weren't getting a dime from VW for the car... and still drive it every day smiling to be getting 45+ MPG in a newish, comfortable, roomy and now seemingly rare commuter car.

I remember before this whole dieselgate thing happened that almost every newer VW I saw was a TDI, and now, they are almost never seen on the road. Its sad.

36k miles on mine already. Its been great.

AronS

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Sedan Premium 6 Speed Manual
If you're concerned about the best financial option, which you seem to express, it is to take the fix and keep the car until the wheels fall off (so the value of the car isn't really a factor) in the vast majority of cases. Even if you were to get a little more money up front by doing a trade in, it usually doesn't cover the expenses of buying a new (or newer) car: more expensive taxes, registration, insurance, etc. That also doesn't factor the value of your time that you would need to go through buying a different vehicle. There are good reasons to do the buyback, but money is usually not one of them.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
VW TDIs aren't inexpensive to maintain as they age. If you're concerned about keeping cost per mile as low as possible, I'd pick another vehicle.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
And then there are us crazy addicted ones who bought one New from the dealership last year knowing full well that we weren't getting a dime from VW for the car... and still drive it every day smiling to be getting 45+ MPG in a newish, comfortable, roomy and now seemingly rare commuter car.
I remember before this whole dieselgate thing happened that almost every newer VW I saw was a TDI, and now, they are almost never seen on the road. Its sad.
36k miles on mine already. Its been great.
I am in this camp myself. The Beetle tdi's are even rarer to see.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's amazing how much people are attached to getting a few dollars for an item they rely on and use every day, and how the idea of getting more money than the car is worth in the open market compels them to part with a vehicle they enjoy and has served them well.
Yeah. My '11 has served me extremely well for 7 years and 170k miles. But the New England winters are starting to take their toll, and constantly touching up the paint on the rockers and door corners is getting tiresome. Even worse, electrical gremlins are now rearing their ugly little heads. Passenger headlight and front blinker not working and dash lit up like a Christmas tree- at least there's no check engine light. I tried replacing the fuse block to no avail. I'm afraid mice may have chewed on some wires- though it did have the infamous melted(but not blown) F16 fuse. Also getting a new whooshing sound that sounds very much like a boost leak. All these little issues are adding up and making the buyback look pretty attractive. I could basically swap the '11 for a '15 gti or golf tdi with less than half the mileage for almost no out of pocket expense. That's probably what I'll do if I can't get the electrical issues sorted out soon.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
It depends on what you want. I've come to the conclusion that you can pretty much drive these cars indefinitely, if you want to. But you have to want to. Use the 12 year rust warranty, keep after the issues as they arise, because if you let them accumulate they get overwhelming, and these cars will serve you well.

I've kept my '02 Wagon for more years and miles, by far, than any other car I've ever owned. I still drive it everywhere (NC, upstate NY, NYC, and NY all in the last month), and still enjoy it. I don't hesitate to do (or have done) any work it needs. And after 16 years and 372K miles, it still looks pretty good.

But a lot of people don't treat car ownership that way. I understand that. But I think new isn't ever new for long.

hhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Tdi SEL premium
Times have changed since 2012.
I bought mine, after selling my 2005 Duramax CC. At the time, the Passat was the largest interior, mid size around. Add the 45+ mpg on the hwy and it was a no brainer.
2018, the Passat is now, the same interior size as the Civic. Cars have grown. Add, some are now at 36+ mpg hwy, and the numbers get close.
Add Calif diesel, has consistently run, $1 more per gal. The numbers get even closer.
It makes it tough, to keep her. Going to turn it in.
I’ll miss most, my hacked VIM! No more DVD players in cars?

Last edited:

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
But I think new isn't ever new for long.
A TDI friend of mine once said "It'll never be new again." How true short of a total restoration effort which would be pointless unless put in covered storage or display after completion. Since many of us bought a TDI to drive like IBW says best to keep up with things as they arise to keep the cost/frustration level manageable if owning/driving a TDI for years is the end goal.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I hope we're going to take the money and run- rather than fly like an eagle, into the sea. :D