Spare tire check at turn-in?

Jetta Knight

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI Auto - Sold, 2006 Jetta DSG - Sold, 2009 JSW DSG SOLD, 2013 Passat SE DSG
I will be "surrendering" my 2013 Passat TDI shortly. The very first thing I did with the car when it had 25 miles on the clock was ditch the pathetic spare tire "doughnut" and replace it with a full size Conti and original alloy wheel. It never made it to ground contact. I may purchase a new gas Passat and would certainly want that for the new spare. If you opted for the buy-back, at the appointment did they check for the spare tire?

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
they dont check it as long as the car comes in on all 4 full size tires

rambalu80

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW JSW TDI DSG
Turned mine in last week. They didn't open the hatch or check for the spare, but they did take pictures of the interiors in the front and rear.

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
I no longer have a spare all-season tire, due to a bent wheel. I keep one of my winter tires in the trunk in case I need a spare. Will be keeping the winter tire when I return the car.

jjk58

TDI
2009JettaSedanDSG/2014JSWDSG
did you verify it will fit?

my steel wheels from my 09 would not fit my 14, brake assembly too big...

JCG57

TDI
'09 Jetta
Dealer had zero interest in the spare tire; acutely interested in the radio.

Organdonor

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sedan 6MT
I have great tires on my alloys, and have a set of winter tires on steels. I want to turn in my car with the steels, as the snows are more worn. However, one is flat, and I would turn it in with the spare on it and the flat in the trunk.

Is that ok? Or should I mount a used tire on the rim that has the flat?

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
That should be fine. Don't even mention the alloy wheels at turn in. These are your wheels and you are using the spare, the original is in the trunk.

jp77texags

TDI
14 each, 2015 Touareg, 2015 Beetle, Passat, Jetta, Golf., 2014 Passat and Jetta, 2013 Passat and Jetta, 2012 Jetta 3 each, etc.
On the TDI's that i have turned in, they have told me we cannot have a spare tires on the ground. Besides that they want us to start it up, drive 5 feet forward and back. they take mileage and some exterior pics and that is it. On 10 TDI's so far they havent looked under the hood or trunk. Been pretty easy.

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
Same as others. Didn't check for a spare, but did take photos/video all the way around the outside and of the interior, with particular emphasis on the radio.