Nurse Diesel, The Story So Far

motown

So...I picked up my '01 Jetta TDI last Friday at about 6PM. (the dealer, Pipkin's Motors in Valdosta, GA was great) 180 miles later, in Columbus, GA, I got an oil pressure warning. Nurse Diesel was towed to the local VW dealer.

Monday, I called Them, and spoke to a service rep. New parts (valve cover, oil filtre cannister, hoses) on order.

Today I called, and spoke to the tech actually doing the work. All parts mentioned above installed, everything appears fine. Test drive. @7 miles, oil pressure warning.

Now They want to replace entire engine.

Great service, eh?

Pipkin's has offered a truck to retreive Nurse Diesel, return her to me, pick up Berta (83 MB 300SD) and return her to my brother in Auburn, AL. Carl Gregory VW in Columbus has made the same offer. I live in the Florida Panhandle, not close to anything. Sounds O.K. to me.

------------------
What's Right is to do what you think is Best.

What's Best is to do what you think is Right

Choose.

Frank TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jatta TDI- 1999 Golf TDI
You WILL get the FULL warranty on the engine when this is done, RIGHT! Very strange that this should happen. Did you loose oil pressure at highway speed?

------------------
Frank TDI
1997 Jetta TDI- UPSOLUTE TB + TT Stainless
1999 Golf TDI- TB + TT Stainless

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Before those freakin' idjuts at the stealership replace the whole engine, get them to put a gauge on the oil pressure and find out what the oil pressure actually is.

It could be as simple as a bad oil pressure sensor, or a bad electrical connection to one of the two oil pressure sensors.

Brian P.
'96 Passat TDI

S

SkyPup

I bet 100:1 that it is simply a faulty oil pressure switch. Failure of the oil pump is extremely rare unless they forgot to put oil in the damn thing to begin with. There have been plenty instances of the oil pressure switch being defective or simply having a bad ground. The engine and turbo would have seized by the time any idiot light came on or at least the temp would have been sky high and smoke pouring out the exhaust. I had the same thing happen to me with my A4 '99 Jetta, it was the switch (that damn buzzer made me so mad I almost ripped it out).

Tell them to check the simple things first. Although, if you can get a new engine and keep the replaced one for a small fee, that would be nice too!

motown

The presure warning occurred as I was exiting the enemastate highway.

All pressure relief valves and sensors have been replaced.

Oil leakage is from top end of the engine.

I am a licensed aircraft mechanic and inspector. I know almost as much about recriprocating engines as anyone, but it is not my place to diagnose or repair discrepancies until the warranty has expired.

I am not interested in quick or cheap fixes at this point. I want everybody to be happy.

I will make every effort to keep the old engine. It would make a fine test bed.

I will keep y'all posted. And I say again,
Nothing but good reviews for both dealerships, and VWoA.

------------------
What's Right is to do what you think is Best.

What's Best is to do what you think is Right

Choose.