VAG-COM OBD Scanners references/FAQ

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d XDrive, 2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5speed Platinum Grey (sold), 2010 Jetta 6speed (bought back)
We do have great customer service; three people whose full-time job it is to answer customer's questions; two of them are VW factory trained and worked at dealerships for many years.

However, we consistently decline real-time help on the phone to anyone who isn't a registered user because it would not be fair to to keep actual paying customers waiting while we help people who are not registered users.

-Uwe-
I'm sure that you do have good customer service and I understand your stance. In my opinion it was a Windows Vista issue that may have been solved quite easily on the phone with ross-tech's help. My computer was not loading the driver at all like the website stated. I believe I did my due diligence in trying to get it to work before I called. Btw, I was *first* in the queue on the phone.
The problem is still not solved on my crappy Vista setup but after borrowing my work laptop with Windows 7 it worked and I was able to interface with my car. Airbag light cleared.

Keithuk

TDI
Golf GTD 2.0 (170)
In my opinion it was a Windows Vista issue that may have been solved quite easily on the phone with ross-tech's help. My computer was not loading the driver at all like the website stated.
Well mine is installed on Vista 32bit and mine works perfectly so I wouldn't say its a Vista problem its something else in your system.

elro

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 GSW TDI Highline Candy White DSG RNS315 Tint 18" Interlagos
I followed the instructions that were listed on myturbodiesel to enable the comfort open/close windows feature. I used the simple method through the adaptation mode and changed channel 06 to the value of 1.

Now that this feature is enabled and working, I noticed the there is no audible "beep" sound when you lock the doors with the key fob. Does this mean that the alarm is disabled? Is there a method of engaging the comfort feature and retaining audible reminder that the car is locked?

funkmaster

TDI
2003 VW Jetta GLS
Code Clearing VCDS Lite

hey guys, new to VAG COM software not knowing exactly what i was getting myself into i bought a non "ross tech" OBDII cable designed for the ross tech program, but my questions were.

i understand that VAG COM Lite is designed to work with the non ross tech equipment. my question is, does VCDS Lite clear codes properly or is it unless registered basically pointless and or to just read codes? does VCDS Lite actually do stuff without registration or is it pretty much useless?

thanks for any input, i just wanna be sure the code im reading and trying to clear is actually getting cleared so i can be sure an actual problem remains, thanks again guys!

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I still don't see anything about using VCDS to prime my TDI fuel pump. From what I understand, the newer TDI models don't prime simply by turning on the ignition but somehow, with VCDS, that important job can be done. Any tips on that? Thanks again-Ken B.
I believe I found my answer on turbodiesel.com. According to info there, to prime the fuel pump on my TDI, I need to select 01-Engine, select 03-Output Tests, and run the sequential output test for at least 60 seconds and do that 3 times to insure a fully-primed fuel pumps. Does that sound like a good procedure? Thanks-Ken B.
Here's a little more info: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=3057138&postcount=6

Have Fun!

Don

CedarPark68

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Wagen
I cannot find any information regarding Maint. Reset.

Is the date at which a rest is issued either by user or by the dealer or by VCDS stored anywhere?

Asked another way, is there any where in VCDS that you can view the history of vehicle maint. resets?

Cheers!

CrAkHeD

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI
I recently purchased a CHEAP OBD II cable online. It came with a disk that appears to have installed a 409.1 program from Ross-Tech, but I cannot get the program to start at all. It immediately tells me that VAG-COM has stopped working and forces closed.

I tried installing both programs from the Ross-Tech website (VCDS-Lite and VCDS 11.11) but can't get either of those to read anything either. The VCDS-Lite program at least completed a test and allowed me to attempt an auto-scan, but the VCDS 11.11 won't even allow me to get that far. I'm assuming it's because of the generic cable.

Is there anything out there that will work with this cable, or have I completely wasted my money?

BTW- I have 64-bit Vista installed on my laptop

jef@rosstech

Associate Ross-Tech Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 Dog hauling, wood towing, pinball stashing Jetta wagon
Ross Tech has 2 different software packages... VCDS and VCDS-Lite.

3rd party interfaces like you purchase might work with VCDS-Lite. However, VCDS-Lite does not include any USB driver and Ross Tech does not offer start up support for 3rd party interfaces:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/faq_3.html#3.3

The VCDS software (current version at this time is 11.11.0) is for use with our interfaces which of course can be purchased directly from our website or one of our distributors.

Regards.

Deivekas

TDI
VW Passat b5.5,1.9TDI 96kW
Below are the links to VAG-COM FAQs and references. If you are aware of others that should be here, let me know.

If you have some technical references or FAQ's for other OBD Scanners, let me know and I'll start a "sticky" for that as well.

Here is the current "list":
<ul type="square">
[*] VAG-COM FAQ
[*] Common Diagnostic Procedures
* Ross-Tech TDI section
* 1998-2003 VW MkIV Golf/Jetta/New Beetle Information Page
[*] TDI Timing Checker (not for PDs)
[*] "Aftermarket Radio Problem"
[*] "Butt Dyno" Instructions
[/list]
Tried to make EGR valve adaptation with VAG how it is writtenin Ross-Tech,but when I write 074 and push on Go it comes that not available. Is my car too old or what?

openat6

TDI
1998 Jetta
VagCom Users

Was wondering if i could hook up with someone with a vagcom in my area, someone who will be graqcious enough to come scan my car and let me know what is anything was found.

I am in the catskills of upstate NY, Highmount, near woodstock, hunter mt etc...please anyone willing to lend a hand please let me know.

reach me at nyskibums@hvc.rr.com.

Thanks,
Tim

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Post in the east coast threads Also there is a tab at the top of this page that might help too.

TostiTDI

TDI
2001 Jetta
Would like to get together with some with VAGCOM and do the mods. Also i have a Genisys 4.0 scaner but there are 255 group values. Still looking thru them Let me know if any one can help with either

thanks

TJett

TDI
Jettas 2001-2002-2003
Login no. for auto trans

What would the login no. be for a auto trans Jetta 02 for vag com to change modes, thank you.

mdubon3

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
In&Out of LIMP Mode on 2003 Jetta TDI

I just got my 2003 Jetta TDI 1.9L Automatic and for some reason I got a check engine light while going up hill. it seems like it had issues shifting and it lost power as if it was stuck on first and it couldn't go faster than 25 MPH. with high RPM. It seems to be running ok now but it wont shift into Fift (overdrive) on the freeway with Check Engine Light. it only shifts into fourth at around 55 mph. where it used to go into over drive by then. The following day the chk engine light turned off and it was shifting normal again, but now It's acting up again. I need a recommendation on a OBD scanner that can read VW codes. PLEASE HELP.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
I just got my 2003 Jetta TDI 1.9L Automatic and for some reason I got a check engine light while going up hill. it seems like it had issues shifting and it lost power as if it was stuck on first and it couldn't go faster than 25 MPH. with high RPM. It seems to be running ok now but it wont shift into Fift (overdrive) on the freeway with Check Engine Light. it only shifts into fourth at around 55 mph. where it used to go into over drive by then. The following day the chk engine light turned off and it was shifting normal again, but now It's acting up again. I need a recommendation on a OBD scanner that can read VW codes. PLEASE HELP.
Sounds like limp mode to me, possibly a bad sensor or connection. VCDS is really your only choice to be sure. Other OBD scanners often don't communicate properly with the TCM or the generic OBD codes don't accurately depict the fault.

FYI, this is only a 4 speed transmission. The "fifth gear" you are feeling is just the torque converter locking up. Good luck with it, these transmissions aren't the best. I swapped mine out for a 5 speed, best thing I've ever done to the car.

mdubon3

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Hi everyone!! I need some help.. I have a 2003 Jetta TDI, GLS. and I keep getting a random Check Engine Light. So Purchased a VAG scanner. It's the V-Checker V102 Reader. Now I need to find where I need to plug it to. Does anyone know where the plug is by any chance??? thanks for the help.

mdubon3

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Sounds like limp mode to me, possibly a bad sensor or connection. VCDS is really your only choice to be sure. Other OBD scanners often don't communicate properly with the TCM or the generic OBD codes don't accurately depict the fault.

FYI, this is only a 4 speed transmission. The "fifth gear" you are feeling is just the torque converter locking up. Good luck with it, these transmissions aren't the best. I swapped mine out for a 5 speed, best thing I've ever done to the car.
THANK YOU FOR THE ADVISE.
I purchased scanner and I'm trying to plug it to the Jetta but I can't find the plug. Supposedly the scanner that I bouth has all the codes specifically for the VolksWagen. We'll see. Do you know where the plug is in a Jetta TDI 2003 by any chance?

dubidoobs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 "Facelifted" JSW 6MT | 04/2010 Build Date
Question.
For my 04 Jetta wagon I've seen lots of talk about Vag Com but what about this one.
http://www.obdcom.com/index.htm
I keep getting engine light on, especially in the winter and I'm tired of having to take it to the dealer to clear it.
Has anyone tried obdcom and compared it to Vag Com for the more simple requirements.
Thanks
IMHO, put the $87.95 towards a VCDS, if you have a VAG car.
I can associate this with the "one size does not fit all" cliche...in my experience, the term "universal" isn't always, when it comes to VAG cars...but if you just need something to read a code, or clear maintenance/MIL lights, then why not...

VCDS is for the big boys! :D

TDI
Golf TDI
When I park my 2000 volkswagen Golf TDI in a place of lotes of sun after 20 a 30 minutes the alarme came on.can you help me to discouver the problem.Thank you

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
VAGCOM vs. dealer scan tool

Hi all. Wasn't sure where to post this....

Are there any differences in the scan / data between our Ross-Tech VACGOM tool and what the dealer has? I've been tracking data (oil ash accumulation) using VAGCOM. I'm just curious if the data is the same when the dealer scans the car and we scan the car. I'm assuming it is, but you know what happens when you assume... :rolleyes:

jef@rosstech

Associate Ross-Tech Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 Dog hauling, wood towing, pinball stashing Jetta wagon
Hi all. Wasn't sure where to post this....

Are there any differences in the scan / data between our Ross-Tech VACGOM tool and what the dealer has?
The control modules generate the data, the scan tool, be it VCDS or the factory scan tool, is just relaying that data. So both will show you the same thing... just one is affordable and doesn't screw over your paycheck because misGuided Fault Finding wasted 2.6 hours of your life, but then only flagged 64 time units.:mad: Damn you misGFF! Damn you to HELL!

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
LOL.... How could I forget the agony of waiting at the dealership, add the exorbitant shop diagnostic fee, and then the unreliable results and workmanship.
What was I thinking???
:D

toxic_el

TDI
Skoda Octavia 1.9
Hi all. I recently bought '99 Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI, and since the first day I'm having problem when starting it in the moring. It takes too long for it to start. I have replaced coolant temperature sensor and changed glow plugs but still same. I recently read a post saying that its usualy pump timing. Thats why I timed my pump using vag-com app, and following this tutorial:
http://www.ross-tech...e/TDIGraph.html

After I did this still nothing. Maybe I did somethig wrong since I couldnt find skoda in the graph list, and I was selecting Golf AGR/AHF/ALH>4.99 since my engine is AGR.
At the first photo is the setting before I played with it
and the second one is the one after setting it.
Hope someone can help me find the solution.
Thanks in advance!

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Hook up the VCDS to the car. Turn on the key.
choose Select, Engine, Measuring blocks, look in the upper left corner of the screen for the file named xxxx.lbl.

Double click on that file and it opens up with NOTEPAD. Then you can print it or note the path, and do whatever you wish with it.
Hmmm, I can't find this using Hex-Net & VCDS-Mobile. Any suggestions?

gman1954

TDI
2002 Jetta 1.90L TDI
Hello all, from Bama, Actron Scan code P0670, 40 degrees no start, Glow Plug to ground no voltage until engine is started then 12.5 volts. New Glow Plugs install. Glow Plug Relay?? Heater on engine at night starts ok.
Advice needs motor heads.
Thanks
Gman

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Plugs should get volts with ignition on, if not, check Relay 109, wires, ignition switch.
If your Relay 109 is black, just order a new one.