CP3 fuel pump upgrade thread

UFO (under fueled oiler)

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Volkswagen Jetta tdi manual transmission
Just ordered my CP3 from 2micron! Can't wait till I get it so I can get it installed. Can't wait to see what the car runs like with 2,000 bars of rail pressure! My current tune keeps cutting fuel back because peak rail pressure doesn't reach 1,700 bars! This is just so awesome!

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Just ordered my CP3 from 2micron! Can't wait till I get it so I can get it installed. Can't wait to see what the car runs like with 2,000 bars of rail pressure! My current tune keeps cutting fuel back because peak rail pressure doesn't reach 1,700 bars! This is just so awesome!
Wicked cool! Really interested to see how it performs with the 2260 you have and a proper tune. :D

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
How much additional fabrication is required to install the CP3? I've been thinking long and hard about it. I'm at 160K, so I'm not due for another TB until 230K (changed mine 10K early). 10K ago, I got my Malone Stage 3.5/DSG tune, deleted the EGR/DPF and put in a CR170. Definitely love the power I get out of it, but a little more oomph and ensuring that my fuel injection is bulletproof are also selling points.

Do you have to change the TB when installing this, or does it have to come off? I already got a rough idea on pricing for this from Andrew @ Fixmyvw, so I'd have to budget for it.

Also, do we even have options for bigger injectors on our cars?

newbeetleman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Yeah, I am also curious if this is something that should be done at TB change time or if it can be done any time. I am going to budget for this for sure... once I know the price. :)

rjt86

TDI
Passat CC CBBB 170
Hey mate, have you got around to getting a tune done with the CP3 now? I'm curious to see what numbers you put down with the 2260 also before i buy the kit.

UFO (under fueled oiler)

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Volkswagen Jetta tdi manual transmission
I just got my first tune since installing my cp3. Haven't had time to do any testing yet. Mark has been extremely busy with new employees and such so updates have been slow in coming. Hopefully it improves soon.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
How much additional fabrication is required to install the CP3? I've been thinking long and hard about it. I'm at 160K, so I'm not due for another TB until 230K (changed mine 10K early). 10K ago, I got my Malone Stage 3.5/DSG tune, deleted the EGR/DPF and put in a CR170. Definitely love the power I get out of it, but a little more oomph and ensuring that my fuel injection is bulletproof are also selling points.

Do you have to change the TB when installing this, or does it have to come off? I already got a rough idea on pricing for this from Andrew @ Fixmyvw, so I'd have to budget for it.

Also, do we even have options for bigger injectors on our cars?
According to the FixMyVW and YukonLT's install write up, the kit is bolt on, no fabrication should be needed(except a couple minutes of grinding on bracket). Replacing the timing belt isn't required, that's up to you if you want to change the belt in another 70k, or 120k. Yes, the timing belt has to come off.

No, we do not have an option for larger fuel injectors, or at least it hasn't been announced. The stock injectors with the CP3 at the moment will flow more fuel than your turbo will ever be able to handle.

ZacL43

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I have a 2011 Gulf TDI and I'm at about 90K now and thinking about doing the CP3 with the timing belt soon!! I already have Malone Stage 2,Buzzken 2.5" down pipe / straight pipe, both EGR's deleted (with race pipe so the the butterfly valve is also out of the way) and the Malone DSG Tune. I did all the installs and maintenance myself so for and I'm contemplating doing this myself. I'm also thinking about upgrading to the 170 turbo and either stage 3 or 3.5 tunes along with the Flashzilla V3.
I have a few questions.
1. What's the best timing belt kit to get?
2.Does anywhere that sells the kits accept Both VW Goodwill Package Cards? I still have both $500 cards. One is a standard VISA (easy to use anywhere) but the other one can only be used at a VW affiliate?
3.What is the difference / pros and cons for stage 3 vs 3.5 tunes??
4. To do this job myself looks like I will need the tool set Holding tool and locks. Are all the tool sets crated equal? Whats the best set to get? I'm only working on my own car!!

Last edited:

mr_y82

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have... '11 Golf, 6-spd, 2-door
Last edited:

YukonLT

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Just a little bump to this thread as I added another member. If you get a CP3 installed, post up here so I can add you to the list! :D

Buckwild90

TDI
2013 golf tdi with dsg(Buyback), 2001 Jetta tdi 5mt 414k miles, 2002 Jetta 5mt 289k miles
I recently upgraded to the CP3 after a cp4 failure at 95k, I drove 1100 miles before the serpentine disenegrated and, let the engine jump time by wrapping around crank sprocket. Looking at redoing the head now. Love my CP3 setup and 2Micron was beyond helpful in his instructions on converting my car. Wish my mechanic had listening to me and put my harmonic balancer protected plate on. Wouldn't be in this mess. I saw complete head replacement's on ecstuning. Can anyone give me an idea on the quality of these?

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I recently upgraded to the CP3 after a cp4 failure at 95k, I drove 1100 miles before the serpentine disenegrated and, let the engine jump time by wrapping around crank sprocket. Looking at redoing the head now. Love my CP3 setup and 2Micron was beyond helpful in his instructions on converting my car. Wish my mechanic had listening to me and put my harmonic balancer protected plate on. Wouldn't be in this mess. I saw complete head replacement's on ecstuning. Can anyone give me an idea on the quality of these?
Do you have a link to that head?

YukonLT

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Thanks, added to the list!

Sorry to hear about the serpentine belt, doesn't sound good. I keep meaning to contact Andrew about a protector for mine as well.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
That sucks. Did the mechanic not install a new serpentine belt when he did the timing belt?

mpriolo

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan, DSG, CP3 HPFP
I am now the proud owner of a CP3 HPFP installed on my 2009 Jetta!!

I initially contacted Andrew about the pump retrofit last September, right before Dieselgate hit. We stayed in contact even though he put the sale of the pump on hold pending the outcome between VW and CARB/EPA. I quickly decided that I’d be keeping my tdi after the settlement was announced, ordered the CP3 pump kit, and had it installed this week by my local tdi mechanic.

I have 163,000 miles on the car and did a timing belt service at the same time (first one I did early at 80,000 miles so I was in the window for my second service). I was fortunate and did not experience a HPFP failure in those miles, but being past the 120,000 pump warranty felt I was at risk. Options were to sell the car back to VW, or keep it and install the CP3 pump. So I went the latter option.

I want to thank Andrew for his efforts in designing and bringing to market this alternative pump. If it wasn’t for his passion in developing solutions to the HPFP failure issue, I’d be seriously considering selling the car back to VW. Now instead I’ll be motoring on for many more worry free miles.

Many thanks to all the contributors to the CP3 threads – I learned a ton from all of you about the CP3 pump making my decision all the much easier.

Regards,

Marty

Last edited:

YukonLT

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
I am now the proud owner of a CP3 HPFP installed on my 2009 Jetta!!

I initially contacted Andrew about the pump retrofit last September, right before Dieselgate hit. We stayed in contact even though he put the sale of the pump on hold pending the outcome between VW and CARB/EPA. I quickly decided that I’d be keeping my tdi after the settlement was announced, ordered the CP3 pump kit, and had it installed this week by my local tdi mechanic.

I have 163,000 miles on the car and did a timing belt service at the same time (first one I did early at 80,000 miles so I was in the window for my second service). I was fortunate and did not experience a HPFP failure in those miles, but being past the 120,000 pump warranty felt I was at risk. Options were to sell the car back to VW, or keep it and install the CP3 pump. So I went the latter option.

I want to thank Andrew for his efforts in designing and bringing to market this alternative pump. If it wasn’t for his passion in developing solutions to the HPFP failure issue, I’d be seriously considering selling the car back to VW. Now instead I’ll be motoring on for many more worry free miles.

Many thanks to all the contributors to the CP3 threads – I learned a ton from all of you about the CP3 pump making my decision all the much easier.

Regards,

Marty
Congrats on the install! Added to the list :)

2014 Wagen

TDI
2014 Sportwagen
Own a 2014 sportwagen - intend to keep it for a couple of years before selling it back if the settlement all works out. It has tons of miles - want to mitigate risk of fuel pump failure before driving.

If someone has a CP3 kit on their car but is selling back to VW, let me know if you want to put the original back on and sell the CP3.

Also exploring the filter kit possibility, don't think I want to spend all the money on a new CP3 and not sure about availability of a filter kit.

YukonLT

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Finally got my CP3 installed. Hoping to get some tuning done soon to see what she can do with the 2060vklr.
Congrats on the install, the car looks great! Keep us updated on tuning!

1972SS454

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI, 99.5 Jetta TDI
Congrats on the install, the car looks great! Keep us updated on tuning!
Thanks! Will do!

Attempted to bypass the thermostatic feature on my fuel filter this morning, with messy results. I have the older style fuel filter/housing with the vent screw on top. Anyone successfully done this?

Last edited:

1972SS454

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI, 99.5 Jetta TDI
Thanks! Will do!

Attempted to bypass the thermostatic feature on my fuel filter this morning, with messy results. I have the older style fuel filter/housing with the vent screw on top. Anyone successfully done this?
Well, figured out some good info yesterday... THANKS TO ANDREW!!!! (2micron). VW dealer screwed up 5 years ago when replacing my failed HPFP and I didn't notice till trying to bypass thermostatic feature in fuel filter assembly. Dealer switched the supply and return lines on the tank lift pump. There were no symptoms of the lines being switched, and I had been monitoring fuel temp with Polar FIS. Now that I have that sorted out, thermostatic bypass worked correctly and fuel temps have dropped significantly. Not to mention, the car pulls MUCH harder than it ever has. Will be good to see what the new numbers are with a correctly routed fuel system.

Anyone who has had HPFP replaced or not sure of cars history should pop up the rear seat and check to make sure the lines are connected correctly.

For reference, this is picture of the lines hooked up backwards, prior to me correcting mine. For correct setup, the blue line should be connected to the port closest to the electrical connector.

Hopefully this info saves people from some headaches!

Last edited: