The 500k club!!

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
My, aren't you an exclusive club! Share your tips, tricks, and a photo or two!

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
OIl changes and drive it hard but don't beat it.

Golf 497K miles.

First turbo and clutch at 422. RC3 and injectors at 475!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
About 70,000 away from the 500k club in the mk2. :cool: I wonder if it will rust out before then. :eek:

GTIMINI

TDI
2006 Jetta, 99.5 Golf x 2
I guess I am there at 820,000km's. It get regular oil changes and doesn't get driven on the highway until it is up to operating temp and is allowed to cool down before shut down. Not to say it is the way to do it but it sure seems to work so I will keep doing it.

Nutsnbolts

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
I'm in!!!

My 2000 Jetta just flipped 500,000 miles on the way to TDIFest. Here's the pic of it in the Show 'n' Shine:

I use stock fuel, air, and oil filters, M1TDT, and G070 trans fluid. Oil and filter change every 10k, other filters every 20-30k, trans fluid every 50k. I am still running my original turbo and injection pump, and the only things in the engine that have been replaced are the cam and followers at 235k. My original clutch went 426,000 miles, I'm still on the original transmission, and one original CV axle.

Drivability enhancements consist of pp520s, RC2, and a Pierburg MAF, as well as copious lighting additions. :D

-Rich

Last edited:

BeetleGo

TDI
M1tdt? G070 trans fluid? Just to clarify!

Nutsnbolts

TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
Ah, yes!

M1TDT= Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck
G070= VWs transmission fluid, P/N G 070 726 A2

-Rich

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
My, aren't you an exclusive club! Share your tips, tricks, and a photo or two!
Driving a lot is the key. Most cars will last a long time if you run them with everything at operating temp when little to no wear occurs.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Congrats, Rich. I consider your car a "real" 500K car: IMHO engine rebuilds don't count.

RichmondKYtdi

Job change (and move into the city) has slowed me from 60k per year to 30-40... realized i have over another year to go

Nutsnbolts

TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
Thanks Peter! I'm wondering how long it will go before a rebuild is required...Based on the way it runs now, there's no reason why it won't go for at least another 200k.

-Rich

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
Congrats Rich! You guys are just wooshing past me! I'll get there one day (I hope).

BeetleGo

TDI
Somebody's getting awfully close to joining the 600k mile club~! :)

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Subscribed, even though my Golf will not hit 500k miles until late summer 2014.

Daekar

Veteran Member
In a Holler next to A Cow Field, Virginia, USA
TDI
White 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Wow, how do you guys drive so much? I just worked it out and 500k on a 2003 model like mine would mean averaging ~175 miles per weekday! With my 42 mile daily commute, it will take me another 40 years to get there... do you just have long commutes or do you travel a lot?

concours

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.6 Jetta GLS 5 speed 125,000 miles, 2001.5 Jetta GLS 5-speed, Tornado Red, Monsoon w/CD changer
At 512,000 and averaging 12-1500 weekly now (field service). Amsoil 5-40 every 10K, Oilgard bypass filter, Upsolute chipped. Clutch (DMF failed, dragging) at 350K, turbo at 410K (VNT linkage worn, overspeeded while spanking an A6). All maint. and repairs done myself. Thanks to this community for knowledge sharing!

Last edited:

paco74

TDI
1983 240d 4-speed manual 232k, 1984 300sd 195k
Congrats!

This is great news! I have 2 Mercedes diesels from the 80's that are very good DD's. Nothing in your range of miles. I saw on a Honda website that a lot of Honda's went a high amount of miles also. One accord went 1.6 million miles. The son of the original owner now has it in Columbus Ohio. The Honda website seemed a little better organized than anything I've seen from VW. If it wasn't for this website I would not have known about high mileage vw diesels. A vw diesel is what I want for my next car and I have been researching that purchase on this website for the most part because the people on this website really know their stuff and are super helpful. I have received a lot of great ideas for my 2 diesel Mercedes from the great folks on this website. So I know that when I pull the trigger for a vw diesel car I will already be "in the know" as far as how to keep it running for 500,000 miles or more!! PS I think there are other vw's out there that have even more miles than what I have seen on this website. Some of the other vw owners maybe don't know about this website to report their high mileage and maintenance ideas that would be helpful to ALL of us.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
hey - my "other car" is a 1988 Acura Integra (4 door hatchback) with 270,000 miles. The wife and me are the original owners of that one...

it does lose (probably burn) some oil and the A/C doesn't work, but we can still use it for a daily driver...

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
I love how you see these high mile TDI's in the car show scene. Mine has been to 2 so far.

Car keeps getting better too. All it takes is money and busted knuckles. Finally past the "knew it needed to be fixed when I bought it" phase and on to the "have some fun" phase with mine.

Just got my fender replaced by VW last week for rust. 254k on the clock.

Painted the grill bars black about 2 weeks ago too.

Last edited: