rocketeer928 - My 2003 VW Jetta TDI

blacksheep

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 JETTA TDI GLS
Nice to be able to see whats going on with gauging your fuel! Sweet!

I wonder if I upgrade to the PD Lift Pump, if will make a diff on my stock 10mm IP. Just curios?

I would like to do some more mods for power only if gaining in MPG :) Not sure if this would help MPG or just in the power response range?

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Installing the PD Lift Pump didn't really affect my mpg. However, it helps tremendously in maintaining HP over the range of rpm. See my Dec 2009 Dyno run at Post Nr. 175. There are some who believe the PD Lift Pump helps the life of IPs because they aren't doing all the pulling work for fueling.

If you decide to install a PD Lift Pump then I would recommend also doing the LCR mod, like I did in Post Nr. 197.

Last edited:

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Purchased 11-mm IP

I bit the bullet and just pulled the trigger on an 11-mm Injection Pump.

I have a pit in my stomach because it's an expensive decision.

There doesn't seem to be a "How-To" on changing out an IP without performing a full timing belt change, so I think I will make that contribution as a separate stand-alone thread.

Last edited:
TDI
None
You don't need to take the entire TB out to replace the pump. Just lock the cam down, make sure you're @ TDC on the flywheel, lock the IP, release the tensioner and undo the couple IP mounting bolts and pulley. Everything should come apart fairly easily.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Ausgezeichnet TDi said:
You don't need to take the entire TB out to replace the pump. Just lock the cam down, make sure you're @ TDC on the flywheel, lock the IP, release the tensioner and undo the couple IP mounting bolts and pulley. Everything should come apart fairly easily.
Yes, I know that, which is why I plan to write...
rocketeer928 said:
a "How-To" on changing out an IP without performing a full timing belt change, so as to make a contribution as a separate stand-alone thread.
I have seen a few threads where others ask, "Where is there a how-to on changing an IP without a full TB change?" I know because I was also looking for such a "How-To" myself.

Nice looking Harley, BTW. Someday...

Last edited:
TDI
None
I was looking for the same thing back in November. There is a section in the Bentley that vaguely goes over replacing the pump only, but I agree that a step by step with pictures is great when you're doing it for the first time! I'll have to look at it on my lunch break and scan it from the Bentley if possible, then I'll link it to this thread.

Thanks for the thumbs up! Its older than me, but it was my first bike and has been a runner ever since. The picture is a little dated too, but one of my favorites. I may need to sell it soon, depends on where I find work.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
rocketeer928 said:
I decided to go to a CAT-less 2½-inch Downpipe from IDParts for less exhaust restriction.
My first impressions of the CAT-less downpipe are not all that great. Maybe it's my middle-agedness kicking in, but it's a bit too loud, I don't like the sound of the exhaust at idle when standing outside the car, and the exhaust stinks a lot more. I'm not surprised; it's just an observation. I may go back to the CAT-back exhaust after my upgrade to RC5 (hopefully in June). We'll see.

Last edited:

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
any muffler or resonator at the stern? When Farfromovin put his new Eurojet exh kit (3", cat and muffler less) he had similiar reaction as yours. I think he, and others, were trying an aeromax? muffler and being pleased with result.
anyway heres thread, a little long at 11pages, can scim over "wow do you like it, etc posts", good info
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=268122

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Nope, no muffler. Before I put the CAT-less downpipe on, I had the CAT-back exhaust without a muffler, and it sounded good to me. I wanted the little extra power from just flow-through pipes, but like I wrote, it's a bit loud for my taste. I also feel that I could hear the turbo inside the car a bit better with the CAT on. I'll probably change back once I get RC5 and then try to sell the CAT-less downpipe.

Experimenting costs $$$.

Last edited:

squire89

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
accordian tube: factory one cut and duck taped :) thats what i'm doing until I get some silicone tubing or something similar. i made a ram air intake and maybe going to make a CAI soon, much to the dismay of the group here.

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
dismay? Hell hath no fury like that of the tdiclub bretheren when lecturing to those that have the temerity to use a CAI other then that manufactured by the oracle from the Fatherland.
Its all good, be cool to see some new ideas.
Sorry for jumping your thread Rocketeer928

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
rocketeer928 said:
Future note to self:

R32 MAF:
07D 906 461 X
PD150 Turbo Intake Pipe: 1J0 129 654 AJ
Accordion Tube: ???
Use the accordion pipe from a PD150 or from a VR6. Use a heat gun and heat up a little the side which connects to the R32 MAF. You will have to stretch it a tiny bit. Maybe one or two mm on the OD. It will fit perfectly with a little heat and not much effort.Sorry, I don't know the part number.

Also note the mini air filter. You will need that to reconnect the line which goes to the top of the airbox because the R32 box does not have a connection for that line. You can buy that part at any autopart store.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the tips, Pierre. I'm not sure that I will be getting these parts anytime soon. Trying to slow down on the mods and $$$.

But, maybe...

Last edited:

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
I got my Jetta back tonight from the auto body shop. The fenders, new grille, bumper cover and molding, and hood look great; like new. Now I need to install the grille mesh (afraid the shop would have installed them crooked) and reinstall my Deutsch license plate. Pictures later...

Last edited:

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Koni Sport Springs

Two years ago I installed Koni FSD struts and shocks on my Jetta TDI. At the time, I decided not to spend the money on new springs because the FSDs were advertised as working well with the OEM springs, and they did.

Late last year, the Koni Sport Springs went on sale, so I bought them, and yesterday, I finally got around to installing them. As advertised, the new springs lowered my car about 1-inch all around. Of course, my wife doesn't understand why I NEED to lower my car at all.:eek:

I used new strut mounts and all the essential bolts and nuts holding everything together. An air impact gun is a must for removing and installing struts and shocks, as well as spring compressors.

When I removed the front struts to install the new springs, I scraped off the chipping paint and repainted them with Gold Rust-Oleum spray paint. Amazingly, it was the same shade of gold. It bothers me that after spending so much money on the FSDs that the paint started to chip right away, which caused them to start to rust. I've heard others complain about the same thing. Realistically, the chipping and rusting will likely continue. Regardless, the FSDs work great, and hopefully the new springs will make the driving feel even better.

Tomorrow after work I'll go get the wheels re-aligned.

Last edited:

squire89

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
the set up you have is very very nice. I used it for like a year and a half before i upgraded to some fk coilovers. it will handle a lot nicer in the corners.

for another well needed mod on this platform look for a used 28mm swaybar. brand doesn't matter, but it will reduce body roll a fair amount. you won't need to worry about your front one for the most part, but it wouldn't hurt to upgrade to your front endlinks(not too expensive). i don't know how much that it helps as i did a lot all at one time.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This job is such a PITA.... What a ball buster... I have to say R&R the front shocks is for me one of the most back and knuckle busting jobs on my car. Glad it was you Chris and not me doing this. You will love the lower springs and the way the car will look and feel. Good Job! Post some photos of how she looks with the lowered stance and the body work.

squire89

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
i'm sure the car will look very nice. i am looking forward to seeing some updated pics of this fine modded machine.

Last edited:

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
squire89 said:
what do you currently run for rims in summer?
Squire89, you can see the answer at Post Nr. 267, including a picture.

squire89 said:
i'm sure the car will look very nice. i am looking forward to seeing some updated pics of this fine modded machine.
Now that the front third of my car looks so nice with the new paint job, I want to replace the scratched up bottom air deflector (spoiler). After that, I'll take some pictures and post them. Maybe I can convince my wife to take a picture of me with my project car.

While working on the car this past Saturday, my wife comes out to the garage and asks, "Why can't getting into the car, turning the key, and just going be good enough?" Women! Most just don't understand our desire to make our rides better.

tothemax said:
This job is such a PITA.... What a ball buster... I have to say R&R the front shocks is for me one of the most back and knuckle busting jobs on my car. Glad it was you Chris and not me doing this. You will love the lower springs and the way the car will look and feel. Good Job! Post some photos of how she looks with the lowered stance and the body work.
Yes Pierre, the whole job is a pain. Now you know why it took half a year for me to finally install the springs. However, since I installed the struts and shocks two years ago, I knew what I was up against. That Metalnerd spreader bit doesn't work as well as I would like, and I totally ruined a nickel to get some more opening space for the struts. Even installing the rear springs was a pain (hint: be sure to disconnect both shocks before removing and installing springs). It pretty much took me all day to do this job, and I'm glad it's done. I was rather tired on Sunday morning. I still think changing out a clutch and flywheel is harder, and I did that twice!

I have to say that I'm not sure what "R&R" means. Maybe I'm getting old and this is some sort of texting jargon; though I'm not really that old (i.e., not too many gray hairs). To me, "R&R" means rest and relaxation, which this modification certainly is not.

Two more modifications coming soon, and then an upgrade to RC5 in June.

Last edited:

squire89

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
rocketeer928 said:
Now that the front third of my car looks so nice with the new paint job, I want to replace the scratched up bottom air deflector (spoiler). After that, I'll take some pictures and post them. Maybe I can convince my wife to take a picture of me with my project car.
if you don't have it already look into the 4 motion front valence or spoiler as you called it

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
squire89 said:
if you don't have it already look into the 4 motion front valence or spoiler as you called it
I decided against the Bora 4-motion front valence. I don't really like the look of it, and I was able to pick up the OEM front valence and a water deflector (mine broke a few months ago) from my local dealer at wholesale.

Last edited:

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, taking out and putting the tranny back in is another bear. I have to swap out trannies between my Jetta and Golf and I dread doing it. I think I will pay my neighbor kid to do it for me. The 3.16 R&P may be great for a daily driver but it totally sucks for an autoX car.. It's gotta go .. .the second gear is way too tall and too slow. Going back to stock tranny in the Golf and I will use the 3.16 R&P in my daily driver Jetta.

You will love RC5 .... :D

Where are the photos of the lowered stance?

rocketeer928 said:

Yes Pierre, the whole job is a pain. Now you know why it took half a year for me to finally install the springs. However, since I installed the struts and shocks two years ago, I knew what I was up against. That Metalnerd spreader bit doesn't work as well as I would like, and I totally ruined a nickel to get some more opening space for the struts. Even installing the rear springs was a pain (hint: be sure to disconnect both shocks before removing and installing springs). It pretty much took me all day to do this job, and I'm glad it's done. I was rather tired on Sunday morning. I still think changing out a clutch and flywheel is harder, and I did that twice!

Two more modifications coming soon, and then an upgrade to RC5 in June.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
tothemax said:
Where are the photos of the lowered stance?
squire89 said:
Ugh! The demanding pressure is killing me.:eek:

It's been raining lately. Supposed to be nice the next few days, so perhaps I'll be able to wash the Jetta and take some nice pictures. I would like to install the new front valence first, which I might be able to do tonight.

Last edited:

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
rocketeer928 said:

While working on the car this past Saturday, my wife comes out to the garage and asks, "Why can't getting into the car, turning the key, and just going be good enough?" Women! Most just don't understand our desire to make our rides better.

LOL, careful there, people get offended when you tell it like it is :D .

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Wheel Alignment after Koni Sport Spring Installation

Here are the results of my wheel alignment after installing the Koni Sport Springs. The front was off a bit, but all is good now. Most important to me, my steering wheel is still straight (pet peeve).

Last edited:

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
rocketeer928 said:

While working on the car this past Saturday, my wife comes out to the garage and asks, "Why can't getting into the car, turning the key, and just going be good enough?"
A good response: "Same reason one pair of black shoes just isn't enough."