How NOT to break the EGR nipple off

dusty67

TDI
02 Jetta auto
I plan on it, found some 1/8" barbed unions at the farm supply today and will use one of those but I see VW's after a cleaning and the hose is not cut, just curious how to remove it without breaking it.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
There is a slot in the side of the housing where the nipple is. Use a small knife to slice a vertical slit in the side of the hose. It takes multiple slices until you're through the cloth and hose. You'll feel the knife tip hitting plastic when you're all the way through. Then gently twist the hose until it rotates. It'll slide off easily then.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Or cut the hose flush with actuator. Then use a pick tool (or something similar) to slip between the hose end and nipple. Then pick out the remnant. Probably no more than 10mm of hose shortened and there should be enough there for a reconnection.

cage

Top Post Dawg
I've always pulled mine STRAIGHT off. No wiggling at all. I think breaking is caused when people try to wiggle or pry at it.

carnotgas

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta
Don't remove it. If you need to remove the EGR just remove the other end of the vacuum hose.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I've read here that silicone spray will soften the rubber; it worked on my N75, but I'm not familiar with the ALH EGR.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
Or cut the hose flush with actuator. Then use a pick tool (or something similar) to slip between the hose end and nipple. Then pick out the remnant. Probably no more than 10mm of hose shortened and there should be enough there for a reconnection.
I can’t say whether there is consensus on this but I do it the way MOGolf describes here.