TDIFest 2018 planning discussion

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
It was was stated here a couple months ago that a Fest in 2018 was pretty much dead....and that most likely would be no more TDI Fests.....Sadly......

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Bummer. I thought were were going to try and get something going in Texas. I hardly come here as much as I used to (all four TDIs have been pretty reliable), and I'm totally bit by the diesel bug - just picked up my second truck yesterday, which makes 11 diesels here (I still have #12 I need to pick up, which is a John Deere tractor).

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
FWIW:
We struck out coming to terms of facility use with the Flying L Ranch in Texas so that venue is off the radar. We had one more "suitable" location and have visited it, but they have a reserved booking over Labor Day 2018 and we would not be able to fit in. It's a relatively small location, but very nice.
Consequently, Mike Stewart and I are running out of gas and energy in trying to set up a Fest for 2018 and it is getting too late in the planning. If someone else has a "plan" for 2018, please go for it.
Bummer. I've never been to Flying L, but it's about 15 miles from where my ranch is.

I don't know if we could still setup something more "informal", say for us TDI owners in Texas (and some surrounding states)?

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
It's probably to late to have another TDIFest in Sturgeon Bay, WI this year, but we could try for 2019 if there's enough interest.

Lenard

TDI
02 Beetle "skeetle" Previously: 98 ahu jetta, 05 bew jetta, 97 1z b4 sedan, 2004 bhw passat, 02 alh jetta, 2005 bhw passat, 97 b4v glx 1z swapped, another 98 jetta. Honorable mention: 81 jetta coupe 1.6d
Wasn't TDIfest held in Lake Mills, WI many years back? I feel like I remember attending it as a child shortly after my dad bought his first TDI. Anywho, I'm down to go anywhere for the next.

Lenard

TDI
02 Beetle "skeetle" Previously: 98 ahu jetta, 05 bew jetta, 97 1z b4 sedan, 2004 bhw passat, 02 alh jetta, 2005 bhw passat, 97 b4v glx 1z swapped, another 98 jetta. Honorable mention: 81 jetta coupe 1.6d
If TDIfest truly is dead, I'm interested in its resurrection and can easily get it planned out to be held at rotary park here in Lake Mills again. Not too far away from Madison or Milwaukee, Wisconsin which offer some things to see. Also its only about 20 miles away from the southern end of the Kettle Moraine Scenic Drive which is 115 miles of twists and turns and ends only miles away from Road America in Elkhart Lake..just food for though.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
If TDIfest truly is dead, I'm interested in its resurrection and can easily get it planned out to be held at rotary park here in Lake Mills again. Not too far away from Madison or Milwaukee, Wisconsin which offer some things to see. Also its only about 20 miles away from the southern end of the Kettle Moraine Scenic Drive which is 115 miles of twists and turns and ends only miles away from Road America in Elkhart Lake..just food for though.
We never really had a working Fest nice drive out there but my least liked Fest....

dieselherb1

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MK5,09 Mk5 CR,03 Mk4,96,2-97 B4s,98 A3,2000 A4,4 Caddies( 2-1.6TD,1.6,TDI) Chevys 6.2,6.5,6.5TD
Tom
Back to the Balto. DC area? How about near the ocean like H2O?

dieselherb1

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MK5,09 Mk5 CR,03 Mk4,96,2-97 B4s,98 A3,2000 A4,4 Caddies( 2-1.6TD,1.6,TDI) Chevys 6.2,6.5,6.5TD
Tom,Time for DC-Balto. again. I'm building Mk5 CR in PD cars.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Tom,Time for DC-Balto. again. I'm building Mk5 CR in PD cars.
Finish it up and bring it to Sturgeon Bay. I really don't think there is gonna be any more fests just local gtg's. To a certain point, dieselgate has broken the clubs membership back. :eek: Sad but true how many times have you read here in the last couple of years........I loved myTDI but the buyback was just to good to pass on. Then all interest in 2009+ TDI's is lost and the older cars are getting long in the tooth or just disappearing due to attrition.

Last edited:

TDIinWI

TDI
'15 Jetta SE TDI (Current Chariot), '05 Passat TDI (RIP), '03 Beetle TDI (RIP), '00 Golf TDI (RIP), '98 Jetta TDI (RIP)
in the midwest for sure, the 00's TDI's are getting fewer each year. Perhaps it is time to think about Audi or BMW, but I'm not one to change easily. S.B. would be fun. It's beautiful out there in the fall.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Sturgeon Bay is getting a Tesla Supercharger soon. It would make a fun trip in a Model 3 and I'd love to catch up with some TDIClub friends. I'll certainly consider coming for a GTG sometime. :)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
did you get the Model 3 yet ? my Son cancelled his spot
Not yet. We can configure any time but we decided to wait because we're considering buying a house. Two offers fell through, so we're back to the drawing board. The Model 3 will come soon, though. :)

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
My suggestion is to restructure the TDIfests to something that is less labor intensive to setup. Make it more of an informal gathering with fundraisers of sorts for the site. Pretty much one giant GTG that can still fund the site.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
My suggestion is to restructure the TDIfests to something that is less labor intensive to setup. Make it more of an informal gathering with fundraisers of sorts for the site. Pretty much one giant GTG that can still fund the site.
Not going to happen.....the core group basically did that....and no one wanted to step up in areas where they wanted the event so in essence the same few people did the last 5-6 Fests! and they also have lives....now days there is a huge struggle just to have local GTG’s.......I spent from 1997 to last year as a die hard except for a couple middle age periods ( 2008 Chevy HHR SS and 2013 Jetta Hybrid) now I
still went to the Fests in those cars! The TDI is still a great thing! But it’s a different generation of folks....
That said Good Luck!

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Not yet. We can configure any time but we decided to wait because we're considering buying a house. Two offers fell through, so we're back to the drawing board. The Model 3 will come soon, though. :)
Tesla still hasn't delivered them yet? Didn't they start taking reservations for it in like 2015? I don't know how they stay in business with a crowd funding business model like that.