intake flap motor?

Closey

TDI
Golf Gls, 2005, Black
just got a cel checked and it came back with code 19559 intake flap motor faulty intermittent, best part $625 installed, do i have any other options before i get this done.

that being said i must say that i have limited mechanical know how.

Vipertung

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta
Closey said:
just got a cel checked and it came back with code 19559 intake flap motor faulty intermittent, best part $625 installed, do i have any other options before i get this done.

I am sure if you ask someone in your area they can help you out. Its not something that has to be done today, save you some money. I have had the same code comming up for 2 years. Ill get to it sone when I clean my intake.

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
if you have the BEW engine - i am more then happy to come out and help you on this. I have a whackload of engine parts from that car that i no longer need/use and can prolly save you a bit of cash if it is parts that you need.

check your PM's and i'll send you my number. Best case scenario its a loose connection and it doesnt cost you anything for parts. Worst case we swap out for one of my used parts and ure on the road for less then it would cost at any dealership or private garage.

As vipertung has said, you can drive your car like this, however you may experience hard shut downs till its remedied.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Tryin cleaning it first. Remove it to do this, and be careful to not get any solvents into the electric bits. Unless it is just totally dead and the throttle won't move at all, this might fix it.

Closey

TDI
Golf Gls, 2005, Black
don't suppose you have a picture of the part i have to remove? is it part of the egr?

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
the flapper is part of the EGR/Anti Shudder Valve - least that would be my interpretation of the analysis.

Pull up on the large clip for the upper intercooler hose, Also remove the spring clamp from the other end of the hose and remove the pipe. Peer into the inlet with a bright light and check for obstruction. If you see anything i would recommend removing the three hex bolts securing the Anti Shudder Valve from the intake/EGR assembly and cleaning that with some degreaser and a wire brush. Else if it looks free of obstructions, you need to do some more digging. I would then like to check for propper operation of the valve, by getting a buddy to start the car and then turn it off. Upon stopping the car, the valve should close and hold close for a few seconds before opening up again. If that doesnt work then you need to diagnose further into the electrical aspects.

of course before you start any of this i am assuming you have checked for obvious flaws like a loose connection or broken wires.

BadMonKey

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Focus ST
Closey said:

Closey, I use to get the same error code about once a month, typically on cold starts (below 30 F). I had a couple mechanics look into it and clean parts which would last about 3 months before a code would pop back in again. So instead of replacing a part that works for $750 installed I bought a ScanGauge II for $150. When the light occansonally comes on check the code to see if it matches and hit the clear button.

Closey

TDI
Golf Gls, 2005, Black
i will attempt to remove the intercooler pipe tonight and see if i can see any thing in there, i had the cel flashed yesterday and it just came on right away afterwords and has been on ever since, unfortunatley i don't have a vagcom so i can't check it. it definitely seems to causing problems though since my current tank of diesel i am only going to get like 850 on a fully vented tank, where usually it is around 950-1050. so i don't think that i want to just drive around with it for to long as it is affecting my mileage.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
You can try a search for Anti-shutter valve. It may vary from model to model and year to year however. I believe you will find some photos.

Last edited:

Closey

TDI
Golf Gls, 2005, Black
omega if i install an egr delete kit will this solve my problem with the intake flap motor? i took off the intercooler pipe and it was not to dirty in there nothing obvious that would block the flap.

(update) after removing the pipe and replacing it the cel has gone. I am assuming that it will return sometime though.

Last edited:

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
EGR delete kit without an engine tune will give you a permanent Check Engine Light.

its possible the fault was intermittent and has cleared itself. a Vag-Com will better tell you what went wrong.

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
I'm not sure on teh PD but on the ALH the ASV is controlled by a vaccum solenoid.

if it's the same on the PD then it's the solenoid that might be bad?

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
silly pd and all it's electrical controlled crazyness

i can see why it cost so much

Closey

TDI
Golf Gls, 2005, Black
ya i am starting to lean towards just deleting it asnd dealing with the egr cel until i get a tune.

do i have any serious concerns with deleting it and the egr?

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
Closey, your EGR and Anti-Shudder valve (ASV) are two seperate pieces. Deleting the EGR may not solve your problem.

I think the intake flapper motor your talking about is indeed the ASV and as such you may still have an underlying problem even with a tune.