Midwest Light Creations- HID Headlights and Retrofit Kits (Headlights by Jeff)

Striker1976

TDI
2013 VW Jetta TDI
Regarding the MK6 lights, I am waiting to hear back from the manufacturer about assemblies. The issue is that the OEM and many of the aftermarket assemblies use sealant that is just too strong. So strong, that in the OEM case the headlight itself would melt before the sealant did, and in most of the aftermarket cases it would require cutting the lens off with a dremmel. There is one set of aftermarket that I have found that is workable, but they ran out of stock back in October. They claim it will be back in stock early Dec. so I am trying to contact them to find out if that is the case. I took the MK6 lights down on the website because of that.

Harald, my website, midwestlight.biz has photos of the beam pattern and low beam output for all the lights. I'll try to get some photos of the high beam pattern later tonight.

Everyone else, 9006 harnesses are in. All lights will be coming with a 9006 harness. It is optional use, and the light will retain their ability to run off the stock wiring. Just a little something extra. If you previously purchased a Golf 3.0, Jetta 3.0 or 3.0a light and it did not come with a harness, you can have one for free but will have to pay postage.

Jeff
Hey Freakwithracket,

I am still curious on the MK6 lights, I looked on your site and still don't see them, are you making them at all?

Thanks for your time.

TDI
I am still looking into the MK6. At issue currently is that the headlight assemblies available have sealants that are amazingly strong. The options for assemblies are either OEM, which require the lens by cut off with a dremmel, or a TYC assembly that is nearly as strong. Last time I tried a TYC assembly it took roughly 2 hours of fighting with it to get the lens off and I nearly busted the trim in the process. The sealants on these lights have a melting point that is higher than the plastic of the assemblies...so heating the sealant is almost useless. If there is enough interest I might be able to do a pre-order, as that would allow me to order assemblies with no sealant at all. I'd need about 10 people to make that work I think.

If there is interest in that I can look into pricing later this week.

Last edited:

Thomzor99

TDI
2011 Jetta
I am still looking into the MK6. At issue currently is that the headlight assemblies available have sealants that are amazingly strong. The options for assemblies are either OEM, which require the lens by cut off with a dremmel, or a TYC assembly that is nearly as strong. Last time I tried a TYC assembly it took roughly 2 hours of fighting with it to get the lens off and I nearly busted the trim in the process. The sealants on these lights have a melting point that is higher than the plastic of the assemblies...so heating the sealant is almost useless. If there is enough interest I might be able to do a pre-order, as that would allow me to order assemblies with no sealant at all. I'd need about 10 people to make that work I think.

If there is interest in that I can look into pricing later this week.
Count me as a +1 :)

TDI
Ladies and Gentleman, it is time to make a few big announcements regarding Midwest Light’s product offerings! When we started offering headlights in 2013, the goal was to provide HID headlights that blended great performance with affordability. From the start, making improvements has been a constant goal. That being said, we have some absolutely fantastic upgrades and offerings to tell you about.

VXD Premium HID Bulbs

Without a doubt the best aftermarket H1 HID bulbs available, and a light years upgrade from our previous HID bulb. Derived from the most advanced equipment and technology, it adopts the APL pills from the United States, xenon gas from Germany, and Austrian Plansee tunsten metal electrodes. The bulbs come in 5500k, which is a pure white. 5500k is also the color which is most stable and leads to long lifespans.

Luminosity: Simply amazing. The 5500K color combined with the top grade materials and electrodes create a bulb that is 50% brighter than your standard H1 HID bulb. On top of that, its lumen output is neck and neck with ORSAM's CBI bulbs. The VXD is truly top of the line.

Functionality: Unlike 99% of the bulbs on the market, this bulb features detachable wires. Most HID installs have these wires exiting out the back of the headlight through a grommet. When a bulb goes bad, it is a decent bit of work to get the bulb out. With the detachable wiring, you can remove the bulb without doing anything to the wires. This is a significant time saver.

Longevity: Rated for 3000 hours of use, these bulbs come with a market leading 2 year warranty.

F35x Premium HID Ballasts

Introducing a major upgrade in our ballast offering! The F35x is one of the best ballasts on the market. They feature significantly longer life spans and much increased reliability. Their performance is so good, that they come with a 3 year warranty!

Fast Start: The F35x consumes less and 5 amps during startup. This efficient consumption allows the HID bulb to reach full intensity in less than 1 second.

Signal Processor Protection: A digital signal processor monitors for external faults and protect the ballast from under voltage, over voltage, output shorts, and open output shorts. The processor also turns the ballast off if an overheat situation occurs.

Functional Design: 99% of all aftermarket ballasts have attached ignition controls. If it goes bad, the whole ballast is toast. Not the F35x. Removable ignitors make for easier troubleshooting, replacement and more install options.

CAN-BUS Capable: The great thing about the F35x ballast is that it has the input connector built into the ballast. This makes installing a CAN-BUS harness simple and clean. The CAN-BUS adaptor is top of the line as well.

Jetta IV 4.0 Headlights

The Jetta IV 4.0 are the upgraded version of our 3.0 headlights. New features include:

-Top of the line VXD 5500K HID bulbs. These are some of the best bulbs on the market. See our products page for more information on these bulbs.

-New internal High/Low Relay harness with improved function. Relay includes capacitor to correct for "on/off" issues that can be caused by a worn turn signal switch.

-Optional Amber Turn Signal (previously only available on the Jetta 3.0a)

-An updated projector mounting system ensures alignment

-High quality Butyl sealant guarantees an OEM quality seal

-Premium shroud option for customized look

Golf IV 4.0 Headlights

The Golf IV headlights remain functionally the same, with two big differences. First, they will come standard with the VXD HID bulbs for increased performance, reliability, and functionality. Secondly, they will come standard with Glass lenses. Yes...you read that right..for $250 you can get a set of plug and play headlights with true bi-xenon HID projectors, premium HID bulbs, and glass lenses! Good luck finding a better deal than that!

Jetta VI Headlights:

These were removed for a while because the availability of workable assemblies was limited. I'm happy to announce that they are once again available for purchase. Like all our lights, they come with Bi-Xenon projectors, VXD bulbs, and options for LED strips, angel eyes, and the Premium CAN-BUS ballasts.

LED Bulbs

We're happy to start offering LED bulbs for inclusion in our lights. This offering includes 60W Cree CAN-BUS compatable/error free bulbs. Right now we will limit ourselves to exterior bulbs that are most common on VW models. We have 194, H3, H1, 3057, 4057 ,3457, 7440, 7443, 1156, 7506, 7507 bulbs available. All Make for great upgrades both in terms of style and visibility!

We've also improved technical support. In addition to answering most emails within 30 minutes of receiving them, we can also be reached through skype chat at: midwestlight. This is a service and a level of support that just cannot be had elsewhere. If you are installing lights at 9pm and need a question answered..it will be.

Last edited:
TDI
http://www.midwestlight.biz/#!product/prd1/3699938641/2012+-passat-nms-hid-headlights

A great deal on a set of Passat NMS Lights. The lights were returned because of a faulty angel eye. The angel eye has been replaced, and the lights have been tested and are in full working order. The lights are fully loaded, and include:

-Projectors wired up for bi-xenon operation

-LED Angel eyes wired up as DRL.

-Halogen high beam+HID high beam for max high beam output.

-Audi style LED strips. They are wired into the DRL circuit and are white when the DRL is on. They are also wired into the turn signals and flash amber when turns or hazards are on. Halogen turn signal and DRL still work as normal.

-55W CNlight HID bulbs

-55W CAN-BUS ballasts

-Includes all other bulbs (turn signal, marker, ORSAM 55W H7 for high beams, DRL bulb.

The headlight assemblies are OEM and in excellent condition. They came off a 2015 Passat and were only three weeks old when retrofitted.

The retail value for these assemblies is $625. They can be yours today for $425..a whopping $200 off.

Only 1 set available.

martin27

TDI
02 Jetta Wagon
I just got my 3.0a installed! Super happy with them! Wish I would have waited a weeeee bit longer for the 4.0s! haha

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
Heck mine are the 2.0 with the non relay harness, and I'm happy with them. Can't even imagine the 4.0 heh.

DefconZero

TDI
Carless :(
Was contemplating getting a set of these for a while now. Now that I have the funds, definitely going through with it, especially after this update!

Just wondering why there's no more Joey Mod as a style option? Were there pic comparisons of chrome vs GLI somewhere?

Cheers

TDI
the Golf GLI version is the one photoed on the website. It has black trim around the lens. Chrome is just all chrome. These are photos of the Golf lights with an older projector that had the angel eye on it, but other than that they look the same so these photos will give you an idea on the look of the chrome:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4583618&postcount=483

I took the Joey mod off because nobody was ordering it..of all the Golf lights I've sold in the past two years exactly 1 person ordered Joey mod. It also confused people. I would find myself explaining to everyone what the difference between GLI and Joey mod was, and nobody was ordering it..so I figured why spend the time to explain something that nobody seemed to want. If it is something you do want you can let me know.

Last edited:

DefconZero

TDI
Carless :(
Thanks for the explanation!

I guess it makes sense the Joey Mod didn't sell as it is a pretty niche design.

Will be putting in my order very shortly.

Cheers!

TDI
Great news on the MK6 Jetta headlights. For a brief period of time I had to switch assemblies because the ones I normally used were not stocked by the manufacturer. The great news is that they are once again back in stock. The price of the Jetta VI lights has been reduced from $425 down to $335. That means you can get a full set, including ballasts for $410!

http://www.midwestlight.biz/#!product/prd1/2340386041/jetta-vi-hid-headlights

TDI
We are now offering a variety of projector shrouds for most of our headlights. The photo below is of the Iris shroud on the Jetta 4.0 headlights. To add a custom shroud, visit our product page and click the "Premium Shroud" link. Select your shroud and add it to your cart. All our headlights come standard with the Mini Gatling shrouds, but adding a custom look can really personalize your car's look.

Also, a number of people have asked me how the new VXD bulbs compare to the XB bulbs offered by TRS. The answer is that they are the exact same bulbs. They are produced by the same manufacturer to the same specs and are then branded accordingly. They represent the best aftermarket bulbs available on the market. Below are some photos showing the two side by side..and as the photos show, they are identical.

Last edited:

hooville

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, 2016 GTI, 2015 TDI Sportwagen S
I've been lurking & longing for a while on this thread, and am getting close to having the funds to take the plunge!
I will be sending in a well fogged set of original MK4 Jetta headlights for an HID overhaul and glass lenses and I was wondering if it would be possible to wire the "fog" spot as the DRL? These units don't have fogs (from a GL model) but there is a dummy place where fogs/DRL's might like to be. Could the wiring be done at the lamp end or is it more of a cockpit job? or both? I have a Euroswitch installed now, but the original switch could be reinstalled if that would make things simpler. Any ideas on how to do this would be appreciated as I would like to preserve the HIDs and still have DRLs: I live in Atlanta and being as visible as possible is a good thing!

TDI
For DRL the wiring would have to be done in the car up in the dash. By the time it gets down to the headlight, DRL power is just power coming across the low beam wiring. On my end, the only thing I could do would be to move the city marker power over to the fog lights, and then you could activate those with the euro switch with the first click. Then again, if you want to do that you should really just install a fog light harness as it would be a better setup and use the euroswitch correctly. That being said, if the lights don't have an existing fog light projector in them already, there is really nothing that can be done. If your lights have the chrome reflective surface that most NA Jetta lights do, we'd have to cut that area out and then install a fog light projector in there. I can do that, but I don't have any spare projectors on hand. And in that case, I'd just recommend buying a new set because by the time I source some extra fog light projectors, you pay to ship me your lights, and I do the extra work to get the fog projector in the housings..you would be at a higher cost than just going with a new set.

Jeff

VanCanFan

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL
Great news on the MK6 Jetta headlights. For a brief period of time I had to switch assemblies because the ones I normally used were not stocked by the manufacturer. The great news is that they are once again back in stock. The price of the Jetta VI lights has been reduced from $425 down to $335. That means you can get a full set, including ballasts for $410!

http://www.midwestlight.biz/#!product/prd1/2340386041/jetta-vi-hid-headlights
Just found this thread, I was about to get the Mk7-style Helix lights. I have a few questions: 1) lights with ballasts and no options are plug & play? 2) are the angel eyes and LED strip PnP DRL or is there additional wiring/coding needed? If I get those options, what happens to the regular DRL bulb? 3) Do you have any pics with the non-lightbar LED?

Thanks!

TDI

You'll have to mount the ballasts and a resistor somewhere. Ballasts can be zip ties or double sided stick pads. No wiring modification are needed. If you get those I normally use the wiring from the DRL to power them. No coding should be needed, but I suppose if VCDS allows you to disable the bulb life extension feature that would be helpful. The Passat guys do it but I'm not sure if the Jetta VI needs it, or if that software even allows it. I've read that 2014+ Jetta don't have that feature but I've never been able to get in there as see as I don't own a Jetta VI.

TDI
For 100% black you'd lose the high beam reflector. You'd still have the high beams on the HID projector, but that added light would be lost. I could do a "Joey mod" setup. I've done that once or twice in the past. There is also the GLI/25th Anniversary option. Angel eyes on the Golf are tough because of the shape of the projector shroud. I'm sure something could be worked out though. PM me for more info.

TDI
Just wanted to let everyone know that the Golf IV headlights now have the amber turn signal option.

Golf IV GLI/25th Anniversary (Chrome lights with black trim) lights with amber turn signal:

Golf IV Chrome with Amber turn signal:

Last edited:
TDI
Don't just toss a HID kit into your reflector housings! Proper HID projectors are used by OEM manufacturers for a reason. Even "reduced glare" bulbs still have glare and can be seen above the "cutoff" in output photos. A HID projector with a cutoff shield is the only real way to safely use HID bulbs on the road.

One of the biggest benefits of a projector is an even light output without hot spots scattered everywhere, something that you'd end up with by just putting a HID bulb into a reflector without a projector. The human eye focuses on these hot spots negatively. Much like staring a a light bulb reduces your vision, hot spots on the road will do the same.

If you are looking for a headlight upgrade that will make driving safer for you and others on the road, a projector retrofit is the only options.

TDI
2015 SPRING SALE!

Enter code "TDICLUB25" at checkout to get $25 off your order of HID headlights. Sale expires 5/15/2015.

FREE AMBER TURN SIGNALS ON ALL LIGHTS!
No more charge for amber turn signals on our MK4 platform.

FREE GLI TRIM!
Get the look you want without the extra fee.

FREE LED MARKER BULBS on ALL headlights!

Last edited:

ironmonkey

TDI
01 golf tdi 5spd
i just ordered the Golf IV GLI/25th Anniversary (Chrome lights with black trim) lights with amber turn signal with no ballasts because i don't have them already... that is the correct thing to do correct?

TDI
"no ballasts because i don't have them already"

You need ballasts for these to work. If you have some already you don't need to order them. If you don't have some, then you do.

TDI
Not likely. The OEM lights are near impossible to open without cutting off the lenses, which is not really something I like to do. And it seems that there are not really any good aftermarket options for them. Until there are I cannot see myself getting into those.

Rechtsverdreher

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat (met its end), 2000 Jetta
I just got back from a trip to Texas and had my lights waiting for me at the post office. Jeff did an wonderful job with these and his turnaround time is absolutely amazing. He installed some glass lenses I bought a while back and they look great.

I've been wanting to go this route since I have not been real happy with the light output of even the best H4's I could find. Dark Texas roads exacerbated this situation even more with all the deer out and about.
I'll install a light bar with an LED lightbar for even more daylight at night!

All that to say, very pleasant doing business with Jeff. Now off to find the installation instructions for all the plugs I've got to put together. Seems fairly simple, but I want to make sure I get it right!