02 Golf oil filter changed?

NoSmoke

Veteran Member
TDI
2K2 Golf
Installed a new oil filter/oil and noticed the new filter package only had a single small O-ring instead of the 2 small O-rings I have always had in the past. The filter visually looked the same as the old one but it seemed to make a sloppy fit when I plugged it into the filter housing cap. The product number on the new filter box is 074 115 562.

I checked with the VW dealer and he verified it is the correct filter product # but had no explanation as to the loose fit and why only one small O-ring was in the bag. He checked a couple of others for number of O-rings included and found the same thing.

Has anyone else noticed this?? TIA for any help...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
What brand filter did you buy this time? What brand have you bought in the past? The MKIV filter has always had two o-rings: one large one for the top seal and a small one for the bottom of the spindle. I don't know what filters you were getting with two small o-rings, but that's not correct.

And you're supposed to push the filter into the canister and then put the cover on, not push it onto the spindle. They don't fit tight on the spindle.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Three things.

1. I guess I've been installing the filter incorrectly. I always place it in the housing and then install the cap. Thus, I probably don't notice if they fit the cap loosely or tight... but, does that matter?

2. Reusing the big O-ring a couple of times shouldn't present a problem. But, there's no excuse for the filter kit to not contain it.

3. The smaller O-ring is often ignored, overlooked, etc., by the quick oil change places as well as those service places on the end of the big box stores. That O-ring is extremely important. I've found them to be extremely hard due to being there so long.

NoSmoke

Veteran Member
TDI
2K2 Golf
What brand filter did you buy this time? What brand have you bought in the past? The MKIV filter has always had two o-rings: one large one for the top seal and a small one for the bottom of the spindle. I don't know what filters you were getting with two small o-rings, but that's not correct.

And you're supposed to push the filter into the canister and then put the cover on, not push it onto the spindle. They don't fit tight on the spindle.
My bad about the small O-ring(s) - I was confusing it with the two O-rings on the thermostatic T on the fuel filter. :eek:

One other thing I noticed though is that the filter had no positive indication on it as to which end was "up". Previous filters always had "TOP" printed on one end. Now I'm wondering if I got the damn thing upside-down as I had to twist unusually hard on the cap to screw it down. Maybe I'd better just stick to changing light bulbs....:)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
MANN filters say "top" on the top. I usually use those. Can't say about other brands.