www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old October 20th, 2018, 10:33   #18796
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

Went to install my R32 MAF (Finally!) and opened the hood to find my hood liner had fallen.

Found some nice thin nylon washers at the local hardware store that the clips fit through...

It took some "encouragement" to get them in because of their thickness, but they worked great!

MAF install was a bust because I couldn't find a 3.25" hose anywhere locally
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2018, 05:44   #18797
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

I threw away my hood liner(s) quite some time ago since the local mouse population thinks it makes outstanding nesting material when they're looking for something to fluff out the environs as they create a party spot and winter outhouse (yes, that kind of outhouse) on top of the cabin air filter. They do the same thing with battery blankets and anything else they find that is fluffy. Darnned things will even peel off the snow screen pad on the underside of the air filters.

So now, in the fall I leave green party food for them. 1/2 block in the air filter box, and the other half to the side of the cabin air filter. In the spring I find the blocks chewed on, but no dead bodies (they go do their last dance elsewhere for some reason - OK by me) and the nests are non-existent. Yay!

Cheers,

PH
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2018, 12:29   #18798
nokivasara
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44-49 mpg

After a long while of doing nothing to our cars I suddenly sprung into life and gave both cars a pre-winter once over!

Golf:
*Replaced battery (to one I had lying around), the OEM battery lasted 11 years
*washed and waxed it
*Checked antifreeze
*picked up 2 new studded winter tires (bought 2 last year). I've restored the wheels a few months ago, I hope black wheels will fit the black car.

Skoda:
*aimed headlights, dipped and main is adjusted separately on the Octy
*charged the battery
*changed to winter tyres, I need to get a new set asap.
*found rust on the sills (rockers?), pretty bad actually. Needs welding.

Next step is oil and filters on both cars and then we'll be ready for winter.
nokivasara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2018, 18:40   #18799
Hyde7278
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Golf GL

Dropped the rear axle beam and brakes out of a euro import GTI I have sitting around. Will be replaceing the bushings to Cupra bushings and swapping it into my TDI.

And also started to remove the frt brakes out of the same car to swap into the TDI.

Next I'll start on swapping the interior out of it to. Already swapped out the driver side recaro seat just haven't swapped out the rest yet.
Old October 23rd, 2018, 04:27   #18800
red16vdub
Veteran Member

I replaced the rear muffler exhaust hanger mount yesterday, as it was completely rusted out.

Bajan
17/56 turbo, RC ASV-5+ @ 28psi, 3 Bar Map, 11mm IP, PD Lift Pump, R520's, McNally boost/egt, Euro FIS full screen Cluster, PD 150 Intake/racepipe, PD 150 plastic T.I.P + R32 maf air mods, Kerma 2.5" Fmic, Kerma 3"T-B exhaust/resonator/ Aero turbine muffler, SBC stage 3 Endurance, GLi brakes F/R , GLi axles, H&R Bilstein sports cup kit.
red16vdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2018, 10:28   #18801
nokivasara
Veteran Member

My Skoda seemed to hesitate a bit when I turned the key in the morning, it started quickly but the battery seemed weak even though I charged it recently. Took my DMM and found that I had 13.2V at the battery with the engine idling.
I pulled the voltage regulator and noticed that the brushes were gone, one of the slip rings is pretty badly worn too.
Went to the only car parts store that was open on a sunday but the young lad at the desk had no clue about what I was looking for. He could offer me a new alternator and after some searching even a voltage regulator (needed to order them) but not the brushes alone.
I went back home and found an alternator from an old Ford that I took the brushes from and put in my car, they fit just fine after some filing. They weren't much better than what I already had so I'll need to replace them again soon, if I manage to find a parts shop that actually sells parts and not just assembled units
Old October 28th, 2018, 21:49   #18802
Diesl
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokivasara View Post
[...]. They weren't much better than what I already had so I'll need to replace them again soon, if I manage to find a parts shop that actually sells parts and not just assembled units
Don't they have Amazon in your neck of the woods? https://www.amazon.com/Alternator-Vo.../dp/B00K4WRFYI (and I'll be damned, the regulator and the brushes are on the same part ).

I had my 2012 JSW TDI detailed for the first (and possibly also last...) time in its life. It was completely covered in porch sealer overspray, but claybaring took it all off. The car looks amazing.
Old October 29th, 2018, 00:12   #18803
nokivasara
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesl View Post
Don't they have Amazon in your neck of the woods? https://www.amazon.com/Alternator-Vo.../dp/B00K4WRFYI (and I'll be damned, the regulator and the brushes are on the same part ).
I had my 2012 JSW TDI detailed for the first (and possibly also last...) time in its life. It was completely covered in porch sealer overspray, but claybaring took it all off. The car looks amazing.
Yes but I only needed the brushes
Old October 29th, 2018, 10:14   #18804
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokivasara View Post
Yes but I only needed the brushes

https://www.google.com/search?q=supe...nt=firefox-b-1

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2018, 14:58   #18805
hey_allen
Veteran Member

https://www.aspwholesale.com/index.php

This vendor has lots of various small bits, including rebuild parts that are not normally bought separately.

There used to be a good vendor on eBay out of Ireland called Gold Lion Auto Electrics, but it looks like they shutdown recently as they have a few nasty reviews at the end, and no items in their listings presently.
hey_allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2018, 20:00   #18806
CalvinM

TDI(s): 2003 Golf

Installed my cheap oem looking replacement head unit from aliexpress. Getting the old double din out turned out to be a chore as the po had damaged the removal clips. So I had to remove the whole radio cage. But once I had it out, the new one was an easy install.

Now I have working bluetooth.
CalvinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2018, 10:06   #18807
TdiRN
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41-43mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by garreth5 View Post
I just installed my new nexen tires and cleaned the brake pads. Tomorrow I will do the timing belt and change the oil and plugs.
How are those tires??
2017 Toyota Sienna XLE
TdiRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2018, 18:14   #18808
SilverSquirrel

Dsg service via my homemade bottom fill set up and vcds for the temperature reading.
Oil change too. And fuel filter.

Last oil change was done at colonial vw in medford.. how hard is it for a dealership to put ALL the belly pan screws back? 3 rear screws missing and the rear of the belly pan had sagged. And 1 of the engine cover snappy things was missing. Not very professional. Now i dont know if they even used decent oil.
Ugh...
SilverSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2018, 17:01   #18809
Diesl
Veteran Member

Default VW 'technicians'

It's amazing how they are not trained to deal with the snap-on cover. I mean, apparently they are the kind of people that would need training for this kind of thing, which is amazing in its own right, and then they just don't have the training, and either fail to snap it on, or worse, they destroy the inserts in the process. As a bonus, they also cracked the cover when doing the emissions fix on my TDI.