t2 turbo on a 1z?

davies1644

TDI
jetta mk3 tdi
is this doable? or would it produce the boost too far up the rev range?? any help would be excellent looking for a better turbo for my 1z but dont want to go to vnt

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Any T-series turbo is a huge step backwards from a GT15 or K03 that your engine already has.

davies1644

TDI
jetta mk3 tdi
Well whAt can you suggest that's a reasonable cost don't want to be spending big money like £1000 on just a turbo tbh so what can you suggest don't mind second hand

foxracer1

Veteran Member
TDI
98 A3 TDI 5spd, 86 w/TDI 02A in prog.
In my opinion a T2 is small compared to a T3. I have a rebuilt T3 off my old 1.6 and i don't mind the spool characteristics. I feel a T2 would be a good comprimise between a stock 1z/ahu and a t3. Its all opinion.

You can probably find a GT15 or K03 easier than a T2. T3s are dime a dozen.

My T3 is awesome on the highway. I feel the GT15 and K03s are sized smaller to provide back pressure for EGR operation.

The main reason i have the T3 is they are cheap and easy to find.

A larger GT series would be great as they have better technology. But more costly.

Do you have the stock turbo and want an upgrade?

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
Any non-stock turbocharger replacement will mean some varying degree of fabrication may be required, which would blow up your budget anyway.

There are several vendors in the US who sell replacement GT15/K03 turbos with somewhat uprated compressor sides and are essentially plug-and-play. However, shipping across the Atlantic may negate any cost advantages. You might look at some local outlets to you like Allards.

foxracer1

Veteran Member
TDI
Talk to Jim and Gerry @ gpopshop.com

G-Pop Shop
22349 W War Eagle Rd
Springdale, AR 72764
Ph: 479-751-7966 Our business phone hours are 7:30am – 4:00pm, Monday – Friday CST
Fax: 479-717-2211

They are very helpful!

davies1644

TDI
jetta mk3 tdi
Yeah I have the stock Turbo at the minute and looking to upgrade it but without going to vnt could really do with knowing the size and shape of both the inlet and exhaust flanges for the original turbo so I can look for other options

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
There are no real (cheap and simple) options other than what has already been mentioned above. Changing the turbine will mean differences in either inlet and/or outlet flanges, thus necessitating some adaptation to fit. The compressor side uses rubber hose for both inlet and outlet so no problem there.

davies1644

TDI
jetta mk3 tdi
well would a k04 be a plug and play?? as i can get one of those rather cheap and would it be suitable?

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
A K04 originally from a petrol-engined application will not be an appropriate match for your Diesel engine and will spool up very poorly, to speak nothing about fitment.

davies1644

TDI
jetta mk3 tdi
Well a k04 I have found fits the exhaust manifold so shouldn't be difficult to fit the downpipe as to the performance a hybrid 03 04 still has the exhaust housing off a 04 it's only the compressor housing that is different ao I colt imagine it being that much different

blackdogvan

TDI
Mtdi Vanagon
I ran a T2 on my AAZ for years. Great little turbo & bolted up to the trapezoidal syyle manifold. Boosts just like a K03, maybe better actually. I used it for a month while I broke in my 1Z mTDI at 15lbs, no issues at all. These were stock on some canadian AAZ's.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
GTD Mk2 golf and Passat's had the watercooled T2 turbo, it sits in the middle of the super laggy T3 (crazy to think VW fitted it to a 75hp 1.6!!) and the supercharger like K03. as for fitment everything from the GTD will be needed (manifold, lines etc)

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
I ran a time with the kkk k-24 td turbo on the tdi engine, yes it spool slow but not to slow. with nozzels of asv and "powerbox" the turbo preforms well.. not for big power gains.. the step to vnt turbo wash great quick spool and power!!

foxracer1

Veteran Member
TDI
Where did you find an HX25W? i've wanted to try one of those or an HX30. Keep us posted on results. I'm old school and like WG turbos. But i know VNTs are far supeior. Just an odd quirk of mine.:p