Will you turn in your tuned CR if VW offers buybacks?

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Would have to be a hell of an offer to turn mine in. This is one of the nicest driving cars I have ever been in with the changes I have made to it. Every day is a fun drive to work.

My opinion on the mod stuff, is that VW isn't going to care what has been done to the car if they have to buy it back. They are all going to the crusher if the do buy them back, there is no way they want to add on trying to resell these things to the list of other things they are having to deal with. They will crush them and write it off. That's just my thought anyway.

I brought my car to the dealer the other day, only for an alignment mind you. (That's the only reason it ever sees the dealer). The techs had absolutely no clue it had anything done to it until one asked about it. He was like "That thing seems a little different" lol. Then one of the salesman was chatting with me about it because he liked my license plate and asked if I wanted to trade it in (of course). I told him everything I had done to it, and he still wanted to take it in on trade. He said "it would only go to the auction anyway because of the miles". He just wanted to sell a new car :p

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
...I brought my car to the dealer the other day, only for an alignment mind you. (That's the only reason it ever sees the dealer). The techs had absolutely no clue it had anything done to it until one asked about it. He was like "That thing seems a little different" lol. Then one of the salesman was chatting with me about it because he liked my license plate and asked if I wanted to trade it in (of course). I told him everything I had done to it, and he still wanted to take it in on trade. He said "it would only go to the auction anyway because of the miles". He just wanted to sell a new car :p
I had a service manager like that when I lived in CA. He had a modded GLI. He knew I had an ECU mod, but still did warranty work, as his personal car was modded like crazy. Never tried to sell me anything though, and his shop (and one I went to in FL) are the only ones I've been to that had both managers and mechanics that were VW enthusiasts, not just parts installers.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Bump, now that the settlement details have been announced.

If your car doesn't have performance mods, this thread doesn't apply to you.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Bump, now that the settlement details have been announced.

If your car doesn't have performance mods, this thread doesn't apply to you.
Yeah, I was looking at the numbers from one possible valuation chart and got my 2 numbers and for a car with almost 200k on the clock, $10k trade or $5k cash BOTH seem like pretty great deals. On one hand, I don't really want a car payment, it sure is nice not doing that every month.... on the other, I could put equipment back on and get that pay out and then, well, who know what would happen when I returned home from the dealership with the modified system. :p

Very interesting situation we're in here... very interesting indeed. I will evaluate again once the "OFFICIAL" valuation information really official. :)

YukonLT

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Not sure what I'll do yet. If I end up turning it in I'm purchasing a new Cummins diesel. If I keep it, the car will most likely just get a new clutch eventually and drive on.

Duramaxdude

TDI
2011 golf
Just finished up my 11 golf with a full buzzken exhaust, stage 2 malone tune, GDM full race pipe, and the egr cooler is totally gone also. Kept all my stock parts, but here is my thinking..... I bought this car literally three days before this was made public, and i bought this car mostly for the reason that is doesn't have a DEF system. I bought it knowing i was going to delete it and have a nice good running car with good mpg. Only way i would do a buy back is if i can get into a newer 2015 golf tdi thats loaded or maybe a gti or golf r (maybe) but it would have to be a good deal. So most likely ill do the fix even though i dont want to, but i need the money to make up for my lost value. (Hoping one day maybe these cars will increase in value after all this) I may just leave all my parts on and take it in and tell them this is how it was when i bought it, and obviously request the parts back. That way their mechanic can do most the work and then all i will have to do is put it all back on after and get my ecm retuned. Ill have to see how this pans out. Really i bought the car for what it is and want it the way it is. I think i should get some sort of compensation if i decide to not buyback or fix because i took a hit on my cars value. My 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
Unpopular opinion here:
If everyone will "take a hit on value".... what happens when someone like me who actually wants to buy one, like an A3 TDI? I figure that everyone that "took a hit" on value, will not sell for anything under a very good price for them, for a fairly rare car. So why do you deserve compensation?

Discuss.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Everybody wants a free lunch. My feeling is that many people had unrealistic expectations of a windfall from this. Pretty sure I'll be keeping my car. My number comes out to about 15k on a buyback. Quite reasonable, but my mods are valuable to me. It would take something like $18k+ to make the buyback quite attractive.

Duramaxdude

TDI
2011 golf
Unpopular opinion here:
If everyone will "take a hit on value".... what happens when someone like me who actually wants to buy one, like an A3 TDI? I figure that everyone that "took a hit" on value, will not sell for anything under a very good price for them, for a fairly rare car. So why do you deserve compensation?

Discuss.

Well thats why i said hopefully the value will go up after this. Like i said ill have to see how it pans out. It may or may not. Cause as i stand now i owe more than my car is worth according to kbb pricing

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Everybody wants a free lunch. My feeling is that many people had unrealistic expectations of a windfall from this. Pretty sure I'll be keeping my car. My number comes out to about 15k on a buyback. Quite reasonable, but my mods are valuable to me. It would take something like $18k+ to make the buyback quite attractive.
And since we have almost the same setup - for me, it's not just the mods, but the time and energy put into it. Some of it, my tuner installed, other things (like suspension), I did myself, plus other tweaks throughout the years. Even thinking again about doing the fix to cash out - even if I came up on $1500 in the end, it's really not worth the trouble (for me, anyways).

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
If I were in the shoes of someone who had dpf deleted and sone more suspension mods done I think it would be a much harder decision to allow them to buy back the car.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
^Yeah. Add a cr170 turbo and CP3 hpfp, and you'd REALLY have to think hard on it.

YukonLT

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
^Yeah. Add a cr170 turbo and CP3 hpfp, and you'd REALLY have to think hard on it.
Yep. Mine has Buzzken Exhaust, Malone Stage 3.6 tune, CR170 turbo, CP3 HPFP, FixMyVW race pipe, 2Micron pre-filter, Bilstein shocks, GTI wheels....

No idea what I want to do at this point.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Yep. Mine has Buzzken Exhaust, Malone Stage 3.6 tune, CR170 turbo, CP3 HPFP, FixMyVW race pipe, 2Micron pre-filter, Bilstein shocks, GTI wheels....
No idea what I want to do at this point.
If I had those mods (all the trouble spots of the car gone) I think I'd hold on to it if for the foreseeable future I had no other car needs.

At least you have 2 years to think about it :D

YukonLT

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
If I had those mods (all the trouble spots of the car gone) I think I'd hold on to it if for the foreseeable future I had no other car needs.

At least you have 2 years to think about it :D
That's sort of been my feeling. The only thing left I really even worry about a little is replacing the clutch eventually. I'm at 174k right now, but have had zero issues with the clutch or DMF. The car really is perfect as it sits right now. Quick, reliable, fun to drive, awesome fuel mileage....tough one.

The only reason I have been thinking about the buy back is because I have thought about getting back into a truck. I just enjoy driving this car so much though.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
That's sort of been my feeling. The only thing left I really even worry about a little is replacing the clutch eventually. I'm at 174k right now, but have had zero issues with the clutch or DMF. The car really is perfect as it sits right now. Quick, reliable, fun to drive, awesome fuel mileage....tough one.
The only reason I have been thinking about the buy back is because I have thought about getting back into a truck. I just enjoy driving this car so much though.
Unless you need the use of a truck daily keep the car and get a trailer when it's needed :D:cool:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=255330

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
One of my goals when I bought my car was to see the odometer roll over 300k miles. I'd hate to give up on that now. :D

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
One of my goals when I bought my car was to see the odometer roll over 300k miles. I'd hate to give up on that now. :D
My 2003 Jetta turned over 300K last week. I'm keeping that and turning in the 2014 Passat.

The Jetta runs like a champ and I just put in a new suspension, brakes, and other goodies.

Get yourself a MKIV while they are still available! :D

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
New tires, golf R dampers (Seriously, GREAT setup), only 75k miles, cr170 turbo, stage 3 tune, S3 intercooler, rawtek exhaust.. lots of reasons to keep.. BUT..

My car is now using 5qts of oil between changes, with no leaks at all. Not sure whether it's the turbo or the rings.. but it is enough to make the decision for me.

Besides.. kinda liking the idea of an E92 M3 that I leave totally stock

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
Slightly off topic but still relevant I think....

What is going to happen to the performance parts market for our tuned cars after all this goes down. Companies like 2Micron, Dieselgeek, GDM, etc. will suddenly see a large market of consumers go away. Or could we argue most of us that buy parts from them aren't turning in their TDIs.

What got me thinking about this is, As I believe I stated earlier in his thread, I plan on the CP3 and CR170 conversions this summer. Should I buy the parts now while I know they are in stock and simply hold onto them until more details become available (the money is simply sitting the bank right now) as I have no desire to sell back the car. Or do I risk waiting and having production discontinued on the mods/kits I was planning on buying.

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's

What is going to happen to the performance parts market for our tuned cars after all this goes down. Companies like 2Micron, Dieselgeek, GDM, etc. will suddenly see a large market of consumers go away. Or could we argue most of us that buy parts from them aren't turning in their TDIs.

What got me thinking about this is, As I believe I stated earlier in his thread, I plan on the CP3 and CR170 conversions this summer. Should I buy the parts now while I know they are in stock and simply hold onto them until more details become available (the money is simply sitting the bank right now) as I have no desire to sell back the car. Or do I risk waiting and having production discontinued on the mods/kits I was planning on buying.
You might see a lot of used performance parts come on the private market for sale from turn ins replacing back to stock. I doubt that many who keep the cars will be large in numbers or will be looking to spend a lot of money on them for new performance parts.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI

What is. oing to happen to the performance parts market for our tuned cars after all this goes down. Companies like 2Micron, Dieselgeek, GDM, etc. will suddenly see a large market of consumers go away. Or could we argue most of us that buy parts from them aren't turning in their TDIs.

I think you're right that most of us who modified heavily will be keeping our cars. Both the cr170 turbo and cp3 hpfp are euro parts. I don't see diesel disappearing from that market in the immediate future.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My 2003 Jetta turned over 300K last week. I'm keeping that and turning in the 2014 Passat.
The Jetta runs like a champ and I just put in a new suspension, brakes, and other goodies.
Get yourself a MKIV while they are still available! :D
I was just talking to pkhoury about that. The mkiv's up here tend to be rust buckets. I'd have to get one on one of my annual trips to Texas. But I really don't need another car right now. Congrats on the 300k milestone! :D

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I was just talking to pkhoury about that. The mkiv's up here tend to be rust buckets. I'd have to get one on one of my annual trips to Texas. But I really don't need another car right now. Congrats on the 300k milestone! :D

Thanks, mine was a Wisconsin (one owner) car that migrated to Texas a year ago. Take a look at my resurrection thread in my sig. Not much rust to deal with and only localized at the front fenders. I have a feeling the MKIV's and MKV (2005.5 and 2006) cars will become sought after commodities once the common rail cars are diminished from the scene.

Peter at IDParts is building a stable full of MKIV's. :D

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks, mine was a Wisconsin (one owner) car that migrated to Texas a year ago. Take a look at my resurrection thread in my sig. Not much rust to deal with and only localized at the front fenders. I have a feeling the MKIV's and MKV (2005.5 and 2006) cars will become sought after commodities once the common rail cars are diminished from the scene.
Peter at IDParts is building a stable full of MKIV's. :D

Wow, you really did resurrect your mkiv. $750 seems like a heck of a deal. Maybe I do need a spare car :). There's definitely a lot to like about those models . If I had a m.y. '14, I'm pretty sure I'd take the buyback too. And set my sights on 400k!

Duramaxdude

TDI
2011 golf
Wonder of they will buy back if its not running? Like for instance what of i have a HPFP go out and warranty wont cover it. Will they still buy my car back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk