DC's 1756VK-assisted B4

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
Should I have him look over the crank too? I'm ~18K miles with the upgraded power and use at least a bit of it at least once a week. I hearing its in best interests to do on a rebuild regardless..
I'm not too knowledgeable on what the engine internals can take before wear or damage happens, hopefully someone else will chime in on the crank.

If there is any doubt, though, I'd think it wise to get it checked. If I were you, I'd be all about having the engine apart once only! :)

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
I had my crank checked out when I had everything else done. It was completely fine, they gave it a quick polish to remove a few very light scratches but it was still within spec. Basically no wear. Definitely worth having it checked just for piece of mind.

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
Well, it looks like this engine pull is going to happen solo. The reassbly may be another story. Hey, but it's not their fault. One of my friends has been in the hospital since Friday, even his best friend didn't know, and the other has to pull a night shift going into a later afternoon shift tomorrow and is sick too. Wish they were here, but their health is more important.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Damn, that sucks for Greg. Just don't get in a hurry and wind up hurting yourself (or more important) your new short block! Stay in touch, I can rearrange my Saturday schedule if you need another set of thumbs. Let me know. Remember, you have been planning this for most of a year. Another week or two doesn't really matter - just frustrating.

JJ

Last edited:

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'll take my time. I moved my good speakers out into the garage and have my collection of music playing. Nice and easy way to stay relaxed.

I just finished pulling out and assembling the hoist, a 3-ton capacity mofo that is a bit larger than I expected, and one of our 2 engine stands. I'm going to grub down and eat after washing out a container for an oil sample and start the drain of the coolant.

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So I have everything but chain or steel wire to lift the motor out. Don't want to improvise. Getting some sleep to finish it up. Had a few stubborn details to work out with the AC compressor and radiator that took a while to sort out :/

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Alright. So the engine is pulled, along with the trans, power steering and subframe which includes the LCAs, spindles and hubs. I spent about 30 minutes photographing things since when it was installed I wasnt permitted to document the work. Anyhow, these photos are way better anyhow since I have a 360˚ view of the engine and I've included a few notes in case anyone decides to follow my foot steps... Oh, and click a photo to embiggen, as usual.

Look ma! No engine!

Ah, there ya are

The business end

Last edited:

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
First up, I have an oil leak. A PITA one too, but not life threatening. It’s a result of the oil return line being spliced together. I’ll be traveling to a shop to get a braided replacement made.

I don’t hold fault to the builder because the problem actually lies with the GTB1756’s hotside housing. You can see the nub a little bit in that first photo, but here is a different angle.

And above was a third that shows the rest of it on the exhaust flange. In my opinion, it's safe to cut off. Before the turbo goes back on, I know I'll be trimming it for sure. A braided line would solve the obstruction problem too, obviously.

As said before, one of the reasons I went with a AFN manifold was because I wanted to avoid cutting into the rear engine mount. There are many examples on the forums cut mounts. Based on the price for a replacement fabricated mount, I just got a different exhaust manifold.

There is one itty bitty problem with going with this manifold, the turbo is positioned closer to the firewall. I guess there is supposed to be a heat shield that one bolts onto the hotside, but I don't have one. The upper mount nub allows for about 1/2" clearance with the firewall. Unless you plan on using it, cut it off, imho, and give yourself more clearance.

If you don't, your firewall could end up looking like this:

Next up, before you install the 1756, have the compressor outlet welded back on at a better angle. I'd suggest a little move clockwise rotation that what I have here, but by only a couple of degrees.

Now, something is up with my setup to were I have to have my actuator at about 12.5 inHg in order to get full boost at about 2300 RPM, thus my actuator's arm is pretty short, thought the adaptor plate for the actuator is as far as it can go right now. I'll be looking into this with a bit more detail. The stop screw is protruding 0.5-0.75 mm and I have ~5.5 mm of travel in the actuator, fwiw.

Lastly, if you have the time to take your B4 down and pull the engine for this, it'd give you quite a bit of room to work. You can drop the subframe by removing 4 bolts per side the subframe and 4 more per side for the from frame supporting the front motor mount and radiators. In order to then drop the out and wheel it out of the engine bay, you'll need to disconnect your steering column with 1, 11mm nut and PITA-to-get-out screw hidden behind a plastic cover behind the pedals

Last edited:

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have more photos with the help of temporaptor. I'm going to pull the pistons/rods/crank as one whole lot after loosening the con rod bolts.

Initial report:
  • Cross hatch is still visible in all 4 cylinders
  • Hot spots on all 4 pistons but only 1 out of 5 holes for each one
  • Light scaring on all 4 cylinders, couldn't feel through the gloves though
  • Cylinder 2 had 2 thicker, ~3-4 mm wide, score marks
  • Pistons 2 and 3 have some light marks on the machining that are bare metal in the valve reliefs. I haven't looked at associated valves, but I have replacements if needed.
  • Head and head gasket are/were perfectly in tack.
  • No lip, sans a little carbon, on any cylinder.

Once is all out, I'll photograph anything of remote interest I can think of and clean things up. I estimate more photos will be posted in about 2.5-3 hrs in case anyone is interested. Block will be dropped off at the shop first thing in the morning and then I can get to other things.

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
that crankshaft bolt was a b**ch!!! First attempt at loosening the bolt with a counterhold lifted me off the ground: ~300 ft*lb of torque. 2nd attempt broke it free though. This was after breaking a 1/2" to 3/8" impact adapter.

Going to a coin wash to pressure was it and then I'll take pics after we get back home.

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
Yes there are tight there are engines that bolt get loose and the crank gear wobbles and skip 2 teeth on timmingbelt

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
that crankshaft bolt was a b**ch!!! First attempt at loosening the bolt with a counterhold lifted me off the ground: ~300 ft*lb of torque. 2nd attempt broke it free though. This was after breaking a 1/2" to 3/8" impact adapter.

Yep, no question. It's why I use a very large cheater bar on the counterhold tool and the 3/4" drive ratchet I use. I have used a 1/2" drive once and it did not break, but it was a Snap-On.

I have also broken my fair share of 3/4" to 1/2" impact adapters until I found one that could actually take the abuse. So far this one is holding, but I don't remember the manufacturer.

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Last edited:

temporaptor

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta TDI 11 335D M-Sport
Number 1 is interesting looks like it warped the piston, but it didn't. Just an optical illusion.

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Last edited:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Looks like you're going to need some new valves!

Your injectors might not be working quite right either..... or your old ones did that?

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm not sure which did that. Could have been old ones. When I bought the car the IQ was ~1.2. Compared to other B4's the wastegate actuator was set to crank and move at about 3-4 psi higher than normal. This may have accounted for my higher dynos numbers when "stock". Thoughts?

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Looks like you're going to need some new valves!

Your injectors might not be working quite right either..... or your old ones did that?
I was thinking the same thing about the valves.

That soot looks like a whole lotta fueling going on at idle, what did you adjust your IQ to, later on?

Last edited:

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Will the soot clean up on its own after time? For the first two months while the tune was being worked out, I was smokey. This turned out to be a faulty N75 too that caused an annoying under boost scenario.

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oh, and based on what you guys see here, would an upper limit of ~140-150 whp be a general safe limit for a 1Z without strengthening?

Edit: Ignore power upper limit

Last edited:

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I think there are people on here who say 140-150 is about the limit, but I have also seen 180 tossed around. I am at neither one yet (~130), so I'm not worrying about it yet, but it's a good question.

I would have expected to see any soot burned off or carboned on harder with running it. That looks like it's loose soot that would come off easily.