Rear Brake Caliper Replacement

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Last year I busted off one of the rear bleeder bolts on my mother's '00 Jetta TDI when flushing the brake fluid. I did not want to attempt to remove the busted bleeder stub, so I recently I bought new calipers and will replace them tomorrow and flush the fluid. My Bentley manual indicates there are two (copper or aluminum?) washers and banjo bolt that secures the brake line to the caliper (for some reason I was envisioning a bubble flare line and fitting prior to this, so I did not look into replacement washers). Oddly, Bentley does not cover actual removal of the caliper. Can the banjo bolt sealing washers be reused? If not, I'd have to try to find a best fit from the parts jobber--from past experience, this is not an easy task. The new calipers did not come with brake line washers.

In the rear brake diagram, Bentley indicates that the sealing washers and banjo bolt are part of the flexible brake line (to me this indicates you can't get the washer by itself, even from VW). Bentley states "Brake hose with union and banjo bolt, with seals, do not disconnect brake hose when changing brake pads".

In the past I have reused copper brake hose washers, but I filed their sealing faces flat again to get rid of the indentations from the previous use. I may try this again.

Opinions?

Thanks.

--Nate

Last edited:

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
I've never had any problem re-using them myself, they seem to work just fine, nip them up then you can give them a little more later if needed when checking for leaks after.:)