Automatic Transmission Fluid Change procedure

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
[ QUOTE ]
Drivbiwire said:

Using an Allen socket remove the allen cap on the transmission pan, not fluid will drain out once loosened so be ready to catch about 2 liters of fluid.
[/i][/b]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone know what size Allen socket that takes?

Also, where can I buy one of those nice metal or galvanized drain pans ?

Thanks! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Walmart, You can get the drain pan in the cooking section you know the stainless ones made in china /images/graemlins/wink.gif LOL

As far as the allen size,its the one thats in your tool box, just grab the one that fits /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

DB

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
Drivbiwire said:

As far as the allen size,its the one thats in your tool box, just grab the one that fits /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

DB

[/ QUOTE ]

that's the one i couldn't find after you left the houston gtg last july! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
[ QUOTE ]
spoilsport said:
[ QUOTE ]
Drivbiwire said:

Using an Allen socket remove the allen cap on the transmission pan, not fluid will drain out once loosened so be ready to catch about 2 liters of fluid.
[/i][/b]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone know what size Allen socket that takes?

Also, where can I buy one of those nice metal or galvanized drain pans ?

Thanks! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

5 mm.

Super Moderator
[ QUOTE ]
Drivbiwire said:
4 liters of fluid are required the 4.5 is a typo in my post and I cant change it due to the limits of the UBB maybe Fred can go in and do that for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed by Moderator.

gdave44

I recently did this change along with the Line pressure mod because I was starting to get high revs when shifting into 4th. Resetting the ECU didn't help. The fluid was suprisingly clean at 72K miles. And the process was suprisingly clean and easy. I'm used to fluid changes in the older fords and chevys. Problem is, my slipping is still there. Both at the shift change (only to 4th) and when climbing small hills at about 80. I also noticed the tranny only took about 3 liters, any ideas? Vag-Com shows no codes on the tranny.

TDA

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore
Sounds like the torque converter is not locking up. I've seen a post on this before. I'd give you a link, but I should get back to work. Search!

zanzabar

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW 5spd (dual duty track car and daily driver beater)
I did this once last year with 107k miles on my car (posted somewhere above), and again last weekend with 133k miles on the car (also did Kerma's line pressure mod). The fluid was again somewhat dark, and there was a significant layer of metalic sludge on the bottom of my pan. Something doesnt' seem right with this. Perhaps it was because my filter was sitting in the bottom of the fluid pan when I removed it. /images/graemlins/blush.gif I'm not sure if it fell off during the pan removal process, or if it was dislocated before that and I was running the car without it. Is it possible for the filter to fall off, or does the pan hold it in place? I think it wasn't attached, and my fluid was running un-filtered.

On another note , I stripped TWO of the bolts that hold the tranny fluid pan on. Be careful and look up the torque specs before reinstalling the pan! The torque required must be quite low because I didn't turn them that hard. Problem was remedied (??? I hope ???) by using longer bolts purchased from a hardware store.

On the physical amount of fluid required in the replacement procedure: I think the 3 liters out, 3.5 liters in is a good estimate. On this run, I managed to pull out about 2.5 liters, and put in 3 liters or so. I didn't even open 1 of the 4 liters that I purchased.

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
[ QUOTE ]

On another note , I stripped TWO of the bolts that hold the tranny fluid pan on. Be careful and look up the torque specs before reinstalling the pan! The torque required must be quite low because I didn't turn them that hard. Problem was remedied (??? I hope ???) by using longer bolts purchased from a hardware store.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically same thing happened to me. I'd advise you to check for seepage around the gasket. Even one longer bolt in a stripped thread can give a bit, and you'll leak. I had to helicoil all 4 threads on my wife's Jetta. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

It's not just the torque specs. You're working in a very slippery environment, where it's easy to mis-align the screws into the pan as you hold it up against the transmission case. IMHO, this is the gotcha of this procedure.

People warn about stripping the aluminum oil pan in an oil change, and rightly so. To my thinking, the tranny's oil pan is much worse in this regard because you're dealing with four 10mm bolts in a more awkward position.

Next time I'll have a jack under the pan, to free up both hands to insure good alignment when threading in those screws. /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Draza

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 00, Black
I have a question, if the Vag Com dose not show the trany fluid to be the right temp. when refilling it, how do you get the tranny up to the right temp? The car will be on four ramps?

speedysteve

TDI
TDI 110 Estate 2000 silver
I called my local VW dealer to see what they would charge for gearoil, diff oil and filter change on my 02 plate 5sp tiptronic.

£200 + VAT

Is this a normal VW price?

I have emailed them and asked for email confirmation of the job, what they replace - filters / fluid. Lets see how they cope with this.

Last edited:

SubseaFB

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle, TDI Silver
Drivbiwire,
Zanzabar mentions forgetting to run the car through the gears after fluid change. But in your how to, it does not mention shifting throught the gears. Could you clarify please.

gstspeedster

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon(Bora Variant)
I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if there is any updated information about the changing of the tranny fuild in the autos? I'm getting ready to do this myself. I will most likely change the diff oil as well, as soon as I find the "how to" on it. Thanks...

waldo22

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI, 1981 Caddy 1.6 IDI
Annual update to ATF thread

Well, it's about time for the annual update to this thread :rolleyes:.

Does anyone know if you can use a Pela or something similar to get ALL 5.3L of fluid out of the 01M transmission?

Where would you put a (very very clean) Pela hose to accomplish this?

-Wes

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
waldo22 said:
Well, it's about time for the annual update to this thread :rolleyes:.

Does anyone know if you can use a Pela or something similar to get ALL 5.3L of fluid out of the 01M transmission?

Where would you put a (very very clean) Pela hose to accomplish this?

-Wes
The vast majority of the trans fluid is contained within the torque converter. There is no way that I know of, (short of removing the transmission and pulling the torque converter), that you can drain all of the fluid in place.

That said you CAN flush the transmission with one of those handy dandy multi-thousand dollar trans flushing machine but it gets REAL expensive REAL fast since you have to use something like more than twice the very pricey VW fluid to get all the old out and only new in.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
If it were mine, I would fill it up with a J-tube or other fill device until you are positive you are getting overflow. Warm it up for 15 minutes then let it overflow again.
Check it with Vag-com as soon as possible.

DanG

sask tdi

TDI
99 Golf TDI
How much of the ATF is needed for this and when ATF level is cheked at the end is car supposed to be running or not

waldo22

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI, 1981 Caddy 1.6 IDI
General concensus is about 3 to 4 Liters.

It does have to be running an up to operating temp.

Basically you just fill it until it barely starts to drip out, and you're good.

-Wes

kaz440

TDI
03 jetta
To The Vw Gods Here.....

Thanks to everyone who has helped in this thread, INVALUABLE information!

Thank you all.

Last edited:

Zero10

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf TDI PD, Tiptronic
Yes, VAG-COM is _JUST_ to monitor the transmission temp. An IR temp sensor is probably accurate enough for this job. You should run it through all the gears, a few seconds each, then back in park, engine running when you check the fluid level.

makim

TDI
audi a3 1.9tdi
I've done it few times, each time total of 2 liters came out

OR LESS

i guess result may vary