Is the SBC stage 2 daily clutch kit actually silent?

MRR

TDI
2001 GTI GLX BEW swap
I recently installed a SBC daily stage 2 clutch and flywheel. I'm experiencing some flywheel chatter. I only hear the chatter at idle and the transmission and clutch preforms as I expect it to. I have poly bushings all around so my car vibrates more than a typical TDI.

I don't have an issue with the noise I just want to make sure nothing is terribly wrong.

MRR

TDI
2001 GTI GLX BEW swap
Thanks everyone. I've never done transmission work before so the install was difficult and I was unsure if I got everything right.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
When my car and brothers car were running-mine had the silent clutch and it was much more silent. Same clutch other then it was made to be less loud.

HailPeyton

TDI
2005 Beetle GLS TDI
I have a stage 3 endurance and I don't hear the chatter at all, honestly, by my car is loud and vibrates like hell because of the poly bushings and poly motor mounts.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Depends on when the clutch was made. Until a couple years ago SBC used the VR6 clutch kit as a base for modifications, and that one rattled at idle. The new ones use the TDI disc as a base, and they don't rattle. I can hear the faintest sound, sometimes, in my car at idle in neutral with my Stage 2 Daily, installed about 18 months ago. But I think some of that's because of my aging transmission.

You're going to hear more rattle with poly mounts and/or a lighter than stock 21 lb. flywheel.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
My Stage 2 Daily Driver clutch is quiet and is a year or so old. Apparently these clutches will get noisy, mine has not. Did you replace the throw out bearing and the pivot arm, could that be part of the noise?

MRR

TDI
2001 GTI GLX BEW swap
I changed both the throw out bearing and the pivot arm.
Looking at the vendors site they actually didn't claim that the kit would be silent.
The kit shipped directly from SBC. The paint on the sachs pressure plate was still wet enough to smudge when I got it. It dried in a few days though.
Works perfectly though. Pedal effort is less than stock.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
Depends on when the clutch was made. Until a couple years ago SBC used the VR6 clutch kit as a base for modifications, and that one rattled at idle. The new ones use the TDI disc as a base, and they don't rattle. I can hear the faintest sound, sometimes, in my car at idle in neutral with my Stage 2 Daily, installed about 18 months ago. But I think some of that's because of my aging transmission.

You're going to hear more rattle with poly mounts and/or a lighter than stock 21 lb. flywheel.

As an end user and not knowing all the SBC facts....I have to agree with this. I had an OEM VR6 (SMF) clutch installed to replace a failing DMF (rattles) and to better hold up to Malone 2 tune. It held fine but rattled just like the failing DMF. Couple years later with another upgrade and tune upgrade I replaced it with a (more recent) SBC Stg2 Endur.....now all is quiet in the clutch department.