Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

shane.short

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan 5spd, 2000 Jetta Sedan 5spd, 2011 JSW DSG(sold back to VW)
Lowest is $3.69 here in Honolulu, Hawaii... price of paradise I suppose.. :D

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
I almost made it without filling up this month. Paid $1.849 at the Circle K Exxon, which is 30¢ higher than my last fillup on February 27th. At least it's cheaper than gasoline again. Gasoline has gone up over 40¢ a gallon in the same time period.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Filled up at a Propel location on Sunday, Mar 27th. $2.099, 10¢ higher than my last fill-up on February 11th at $1.999.

GWbiker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S TDI 4dr.
In the Tucson area I saw D2 several cents cheaper that RUG.

Take that you large gasoline SUV owners......:p

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Just paid $1.82/gal - a little more than regular, but a lot less than super. And being Sam's it is also cheaper than most stations in the area. A lot are getting up around $2/gallon. Even RUG is getting up there is plenty of places.

Jason

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
All the stations in my area Shell Speedway BP Mobil Clark KwikTrip & the Independents are getting $199.99 per gallon including Costco which has been the low price leader in the past.

Last edited:

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
All the stations in my area Shell Speedway BP Mobil Clark KwikTrip & the Independents are getting $199.99 per gallon including Costco which has been the low price leader in the past.
Mental note: don't drive anywhere near Wisconsin until they get the pricing under control!:eek:

Assuming that the decimal is off a couple of places, not bad... :p

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I filled up my car yesterday in Lake Wylie, SC. Saw something that I had thought was long gone. Diesel was $1.75 and rug was $1.82. Add 20 cents each for the higher octane grades. On a wag, I think the last time I paid less for diesel was probably 2005.

It makes the discussion of a diesel or gas canyon easier. Although, at those prices and the differences in mileage, it will still take about 20 years to payback the $4500 upcharge for diesel and the "thrown-in" goodies.

Last edited:

InfoSec Guy

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
1.99 in Elkridge MD on Sunday. I had to try three pumps to get it! The first had the big nozzle for the trucks, and the 2nd & third had the correct car diesel nozzle, but the 2nd one was badly bent and wouldn't go into the tank. Of course, the cashier couldn't be bothered to care about it when I went in and told him.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It makes the discussion of a diesel or gas canyon easier. Although, at those prices and the differences in mileage, it will still take about 20 years to payback the $4500 upcharge for diesel and the "thrown-in" goodies.
How long do you think you'll keep the truck? Five years ago gasoline was right around $4/gallon. It could easily go back to that price in the next five years, or higher. If it does, the payback would look different, I imagine.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I've been through all the arguements before and know that current pump pricing is exteremly volatile. The rug down here has gone up 40 cents in three weeks. Diesel hasn't moved.

How long will I keep the truck? Who knows. I'm thinking right now that I may give the wagen to one of the kids and have the truck as my daily driver, but then I consider that one is still in college and doesn't need the diesel for running around her small town. The other only lives about five miles from their store and they mostly drive his car. She has the 03 Passat that we bought 5 years ago with 60K miles and she's now around 110K. They p$$$ and moan about the cost of oil changes for that. Can't imagine what they would do with the 40K oil and dsg service charges on the wagen.

If I give up the wagen, I will have to add a trailer hitch to the Golf so that we can have a drop car for kayaking.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I filled up my car yesterday in Lake Wylie, SC. Saw something that I had thought was long gone. Diesel was $1.75 and rug was $1.82. Add 20 cents each for the higher octane grades. On a wag, I think the last time I paid less for diesel was probably 2005.

According to AAA, the national average on April 5 2016 for RUG is $2.052, and for diesel $2.100 -- 4.8 cents/gallon is an unusually narrow spread for this date.

According to EIA, the Energy Information Agency, they calculate the average national prices of RUG and diesel just a bit differently -- $2.083 and $2.115, respectively, for a 3.2 cent/gallon spread.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
In my trip last week (SC to Michigan), I saw diesel anywhere from $1.75 to $2.25.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
.......yesterday at the Chevron near the Union Pacific Roseville railyard: ULSD 2.399; RON 87 is $2.759.............

ez

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
After the big jump in gasoline prices, they are starting to fall again. Diesel is still cheaper than gas at a few places but the gap is much narrower now.

I don't expect it to last unless diesel doesn't change before the summer holidays kick off.

As is the case in my area near the gulf beaches, the gas prices jack up about 48 hours before the first of the Spring Breaks start, and fall in unison about 48 hours afterwards. They'll go up again the week that Alabama schools let out because they gotta screw the tourists as much as possible.

Happens every year.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I was just in that neck of the woods and noticed that your diesel prices are about the same as where I buy in SC, but your rug prices are about 10 cents higher and bigger variation from one station in Mobile to another. Noticed diesel around $1.78.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
According to AAA, diesel is now cheaper than regular unleaded gasoline in the Minneapolis-Saint Paul metropolitan area: $2.150 for RUG, $2.133 for ULSD. I don't think this has happened in the last 12+ years.

Statewide, the discount of RUG to ULSD narrowed from 4.9 cents to 3.0 cents.

And nationally, RUG is 0.1 cents cheaper than ULSD. So it is likely that diesel will be cheaper by tomorrow.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's official. According to AAA, the national average for diesel is less than the national average for unleaded regular gasoline. $2.163 versus $2.173.

And diesel is cheaper in the Twin Cities metro area.(but maybe not for long)

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
I've been stuck at home for several days now, but last time I spot-checked prices in south Baldwin County, Alabama, the only reason diesel was cheaper than regular was because regular had spiked up again suddenly.

Regular seems to be around $1.999-2.099 and diesel is $1.959-2.099 in this general area. I filled up on April 30th for $1.679 with a fuelperks! discount at a local Shell, so I feel like I did really well. I'm really getting into a "once a month" fillup pattern now. It still feels weird.

austintg

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A6 Technik
I've been stuck at home for several days now, but last time I spot-checked prices in south Baldwin County, Alabama, the only reason diesel was cheaper than regular was because regular had spiked up again suddenly.

Regular seems to be around $1.999-2.099 and diesel is $1.959-2.099 in this general area. I filled up on April 30th for $1.679 with a fuelperks! discount at a local Shell, so I feel like I did really well. I'm really getting into a "once a month" fillup pattern now. It still feels weird.

Nice, all of my mom's side lives in Daphne and Fairhope. I lived in Mobile for a couple years as well. Diesel was always more expensive there than TX.