ALH tune & nozzle location

SteveWilson1983

TDI
'01 Jetta, '11 Linde H40
I am finally getting around to what I intended to do years ago.. nozzles and tune. And of course, the one place I heard was great to have it done (DCB), has moved to Orillia apparently. I live in Guelph, so that's quite the drive to drop the car off, come home, and then the next day, go back again to pick it up. Is there anyone around here that you people have good experience with? EMT in guelph sells Malone tunes, though I've heard (second hand) of people not getting the actual Malone tune they paid for, and getting some "designed in house" tune instead. Also from what I understand, balancing the nozzles is a bit of an art. Just wondering if there's anyone good that you would recommend? Also, if I can't find someone within an hours drive that sells Malone tunes, is there another good quality tuning company you would suggest?

And while I'm writing, is there a good place that you would suggest to read boost pressure (mechanically)? I was going to drill and tap the intake when I take it off to clean it, but on further investigation, I think I won't do an EGR delete at the same time as tuning (ya, these days everyone talks about NOx), so I would think I should be tying in upstream of the egr valve, maybe the rigid plastic pipe that runs towards the cabin on the passenger side, to avoid plugging my boost line down the road?

Thanks in advance for any help
-Steve

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
If you're talking about cleaning your intake then I'd suggest doing that first. Always get your car running well before doing mods: you want a good baseline to operate from.

For injectors you can do a "hot swap," I believe that Kerma does this. You order nozzles and the mounting service and you get a set of injectors that are all nicely calibrated with the nozzles of your choice. You swap them with what you currently have and send your old ones back. Swapping injectors is fairly easy: recommend having the puller to do it as that will make easy/short work out of it- you can rent one of those too (hot swap may provide that, as a loan, for this).

For tunes you can purchase a tune and rent a loader. Also can be done through Kerma. It's fairly simple. Although I haven't used their tunes (RC) I am pretty certain that when you get the loader you read your current ECU maps into it and then download them to your computer and send in. You will then get, via e-mail, your tune which you then write/install on the loader and then plug the loader in your car and write that new tune to it.

Nothing really tough about any of this. AND, after doing it you can say that YOU did it yourself!

NOTE: I just blurted out Kerma because I like to acknowledge all the good vendors. There are others out there that offer similar services: I utilized FixMyVw, and went with Malone tunes.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Doing a "hot swap" is only temporarily expensive, but DBW is a straight shooter and you will get your deposit returned promptly. As far as tunes go, as stated above you can rent a loaner, and get the tune(s) via e-mail. As far as what size nozzles to buy goes, do you think in four or five years from now you will want more power, or what if you need to replace your turbo and would like to move up one step? My point is buy nozzles at least one size bigger than you think you will need or want and your tuner will make sure they are fueling correctly for your situation. My tuner is TDTuning.