Tune and Timing

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
If you want info on making good power with VE pumps go poking around on 1stgen.org. Not all of it will pertain to the tdi pump but it should give you an idea as to the issues your going to face.

madmikeismad

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle
If you want info on making good power with VE pumps go poking around on 1stgen.org. Not all of it will pertain to the tdi pump but it should give you an idea as to the issues your going to face.
Thats a great idea, forgot about that forum.

Kinda related, I checked the codes:

N75 signal intermittent (not hooked up)
MAF signal intermittent (not hooked up)
ABS signal intermittent (not hooked up)

This may be a dumb question, but remember this is my first vw. Does the N75 need to be hooked up? It's still fueling whatever I request of it, so that wouldn't explain why a non-regulated turbo wouldn't make boost. Is there a way to disable it in the duty cycle map?

Also, vcds read timing at 25*, at about 3500rpm as I recall. It was hard to look back and forth to the laptop.

Last edited:

ketchup

Veteran Member
TDI
B5 Passat
Not hooked up mean wires unplugged? With these unplugged the car will make no boost and fall on its face over 3000rpm. With the MAF disconnected the ECU will fall back to a safe max MAF value of about 500mg/str which will limit fuel/boost resulting in no power.

If you want to lose your MAF try searching for "MAP based tune" or similar, this way you can unplug your MAF and remove it from the car without issue. I'm sure the same can be done with the n75 valve but I can't help with that one you may have to leave it wired but un-plumbed for the time being.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
don't confuse degrees crank vs degrees cam
Interesting! Didn't know they did pump degrees in the software. Learn something new every day.
It's still fueling whatever I request of it, so that wouldn't explain why a non-regulated turbo wouldn't make boost.
you're running a wastegated turbo, right? Is the WG closing all the way, and on the other side of the coin, you might just not have enough fuel to spool the thing depending on the size of the turbine housing. Also, depending on which GT35, it might not like the pressure ratios that a TDI wants. On high PR low mass flow things like these, you generally don't want a high trim wheel that you see in low pressure ratio high mass flow gasoline applications.

BTW, all of those codes are very easy to disable if you have winols.

Last edited:

madmikeismad

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle
Not hooked up mean wires unplugged? With these unplugged the car will make no boost and fall on its face over 3000rpm. With the MAF disconnected the ECU will fall back to a safe max MAF value of about 500mg/str which will limit fuel/boost resulting in no power.

If you want to lose your MAF try searching for "MAP based tune" or similar, this way you can unplug your MAF and remove it from the car without issue. I'm sure the same can be done with the n75 valve but I can't help with that one you may have to leave it wired but un-plumbed for the time being.
Correct, not plugged in. The MAF was supposed to have been disabled, though I'm not sure if it was done correctly because the ecu still looks for it. I know the MAP limiter actually works though, because thats what I've been using to tune out excess smoke. I am trying to locate an N75 right now just to plug in.

madmikeismad

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle
Interesting! Didn't know they did pump degrees in the software. Learn something new every day.

you're running a wastegated turbo, right? Is the WG closing all the way, and on the other side of the coin, you might just not have enough fuel to spool the thing depending on the size of the turbine housing. Also, depending on which GT35, it might not like the pressure ratios that a TDI wants. On high PR low mass flow things like these, you generally don't want a high trim wheel that you see in low pressure ratio high mass flow gasoline applications.

BTW, all of those codes are very easy to disable if you have winols.
No wastegate. I'm running A LOT of fuel. It's a very small turbine housing. Using what I know about how this turbo spools on other diesel's, I should be able to get it to spool by 3500-4000 with the magic of variable timing. And it follows my logic so far, it makes it's max boost of 4psi at about 2300rpm, before it flatlines.

I am not sure if I'm smart enough for WINOLS, it looked like everything is done in hex. If I could put in real values like with edcsuite, I would give it a try. Another problem, I couldn't figure out where to download winols lol

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
With kerma's new to me information in hand, try running less than your currently requested 50 degrees of timing, first.
Also your EGTs might be surprisingly low if you aren't getting enough air in there to actually burn a decent amount of the huge amount of fuel going in. Sometimes reducing the fueling will help in the more nutso setups, running overly rich (as in low single digit AFRs) will slow combustion and cool EGTs. Andy2 was running into where being too quick on the accelerator would just stall the motor.

Both those factors together, low boost.
Alternatively, nitrous (and less timing)

ETA: on the winols, I'm running a... shady version myself. A friend from work got me it on a CD, oddly enough.
You can do decimal, hex, and all kinds of crazy **** that I don't understand. It's easy enough to fumble through for things like error code disabling.

apomiett

Veteran Member
TDI
A2 mTDI
Funny how it's labeled kw angle (kurbelwelle =crankshaft) and not nw angle(Nockenwelle = camshaft) in vcds.
First time I hear that it is cam angle. But what would I know...

p0wer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 3 -94 1Z 377hp, Golf 3 Cabrio 4-Motion 1.8T 620hp, Golf 3 Syncro 2.9 VR6 HX52, Bora AJM 4-Motion 2260vk +120% Firad, Passat 3B Syncro AFN 2260vk
don't confuse degrees crank vs degrees cam

stock the ALH is already 30+ degrees crank (but 15 degrees cam, same as 30 degrees crank)

If you take the timing "that's on the timing map" to 40 degrees, that's 80 degrees crank.
What source do you have for this information? I doubt for it too. It would be quite easy to check how many degrees does timing piston movement allow sprocket angle movement and double it to have angle in crankshaft.

You won't get 400 hp with off-the shelf VW injection pump
Isn´t really related for the topic, but I do not agree with this.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
TDI use diesel fuel too. Sorry no internet link/source for that either.