European Cluster - Lamp failure light

NateDawg

TDI
2005 TDI Jetta, 2001 1.8T Jetta
Has anyone ever successfully modified the circuit board on a standard MK4 cluster to get the lights to turn off? I got mine to show up but can't get them to go away. That video made me extremely jealous as I get a burnt out tail light like twice a year :(.

incarvr6

TDI
Passat 1.8t Passat W8
Wow! Im glad You maded! How did you found right bit and adress in 849 cluster for icon?

Last edited:

NateDawg

TDI
2005 TDI Jetta, 2001 1.8T Jetta
I just wanted to let everyone know that I got the warning lights to work on my UK FIS cluster! I soldered in this diode to the spot circled on the left in this picture.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/BAS21TM-7/BAS21TM-7DICT-ND/2918832

I changed the byte in the EEPROM to 3B and added the soft coding with VAG-COM as posted earlier in this thread. When grounding both pins 6 and 16, both warnings canceled on the cluster!:D I also was able to get the brake light failure to cancel using pin 19 instead of pin 16 by using 35 in the EEPROM instead. This allows you to keep your hatch open wire attached to pin 16.

Graeme used a Passat cluster to get his to work which has an extra resistor used for the ABS input on the Passat. You can see it marked "222" in the picture above, right above the text that says "pin 6". He was not able to use pin 19 as described above and I am almost certain it is because of that resistor. If it is removed, this should allow you to use pin 19 for the lamp check system instead.

If attempting this yourself, the diode I used is oriented differently from the diodes already on the board. The other ones on the right side of the picture above are "upside down" while the diode I used is positioned "right side up". Make sure you check the datasheet so the diodes inside the chip are pointing down with respect to the image above.

Last edited:

goyodesanctis

TDI
Seat Leon 1M FR TDI
Sorry,if my English isn´t very good,I´m from Spain,and we hace the same discussion,in Seat Leon Club:
http://www.clubseatleon.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=97301&p=1622281#p1622281

If many cars,has clusters,846C Golf,or 845 847 Passat,no 849;which is the hardware modification to work correcftly???
I´m looking for wiring diagram,and I've got the 387 relay,but,my cluster,for example,is a 3B0 920 847 E V20 (1J5 920 846C,to work in Leon 1M,eepromed,originally V08),the eeprom in 1F7 is 3B or 35???
If we connect to 16's pin,blue,what will happen???
What we need to get the correct function,in 501 software???
Pin 19???Diode???
I`m sorry,cause I´m trying to understand the work,but I can`t.
Regards!!!

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Not yet - fuel is too cheap! - 3.2 VR6 R32
Firstly, if you have a LED 3rd brake light on Leon, then you must use the 4B0 919 471 A Relay 393.

The 387 only works with incandescent 3rd brake light bulbs.

If you have Golf cluster you must add the diode to the PC Board (this diode is missing...it is connected to both blue Pin 6 and Pin 19 if you trace the board).

You need to change 0x1E9 to A9 to activate the function as well.

Then you code 0x1F7 to 35 and use Blue Pin 19

If you use Passat cluster in Golf you need to reflash the EEPROM to Golf of course first, then you code to 3B and use Blue Pin 16.

In Golf with Passat cluster you remove the existing rear hatch wire from Pin 16 and insulate.

It is not required as rear hatch uses CANBUS for FIS display. After much experimentation Nate and I have concluded that this wire is completely superfluous in later Golfs! It has no effect whatsoever on the hatch display in FIS whether it is connected or not including if the CCM fuse blows - it is not even a backup if CANBUS network fails!

These are the addresses for the 501 software.

If the clusters use 503 software then the addresses are 0x21B and 0x223

Last edited:

incarvr6

TDI
Passat 1.8t Passat W8
Right, now lets bump this up :)

I have done lamp failure feature second time on second car my W8 passat 3b7920946D
Since now i have factory auto leveling system i wired it up to cluster but it dose not work!

I have couple Skoda clusters 940 and 941 and with original dumps they regardles coding +8 on pin21green they accept triger lamp failure from auto level system!
I tryed to messure signal and it is like low level impulses.

941 i have modified for my other passat and with vw dump dose not work from pin21.

I tryed to write my W8 cluster with skodas 940 dump and then it have constant warning if pin21 is connected to leveling module if i disconnect that pin warning disapears.
When i write 940 cluster with w8 dump pin21 dose not reacts.

From all this it seems that ther must be separate byte for this feature and it might be something missing on vw cluster board.

Last edited:

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Very interesting.

The best way would be to visually trace the Pin 21 connections on the W8 board and also on the skoda boards to look for missing components.

incarvr6

TDI
Passat 1.8t Passat W8
Ok, Now with help from graeme86 and countless eeprom compairison, reading and writing i found the way to activate Auto leveling fault warning!!!
First thing is hardware, on VW boaard is missing one 2.2k resistor (marked with red circle)

To get access to that place you must take apart cluster including removing needles(werry hard to put back precise)
For that reasone i soldered resistor on boards other side

Now the software part:
you must change 1E6 from original C1 to D1
Warning works regardless coding +8

As for pin21 green input, warning is activated when it is grounded.

Reasone for long updates is that after all eeprom moods i found side effect!!!
In my case on 946D W8 cluster after changing 1F7 from 0A to 3B i had issue with speed difference after changing coding from and back UK XX4XX to Europe XX1XX

As for solution i used in 1F7 3A Now everything works as it should!

Perhaps on others VW clustes could be similar issues so in case of 1F7 01 you can try for 1F7 31

Last edited:

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Fantastic information!:cool:

I would add that seeing as original value on Golf is E1 at 0x1E6, the new value should be F1 to preserve the bytes for hatch warning :)

kabal

TDI
2003 Golf IV 1.9 TDI AXR@138hp
Fantastic information!:cool:
I would add that seeing as original value on Golf is E1 at 0x1E6, the new value should be F1 to preserve the bytes for hatch warning :)
Hello everyone.
I also installed 4B0 919 471A Relay 393 to monitoring bulbs - thank You Guys for this thread.. It helps me very much.
But maybe I will start from the beginning
I have Golf 4 1.9TDI. I swapped my original cluster 1J5 920 826 C (diesel, half FIS) to Passat W8 cluster 3B7 920 946 D (petrol, full FIS).
For proper operation I have to soldered 2x resistors and 1x capacitor for temp gauge works from sensor not from CAN (CLICK ..BTW - I'm not sure which option is better) and also 1x LED and 1x resistor (http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/W8_Cluster_How_To.pdf).
I reflashed new cluster with "1J5920846C__KOMBI_WEGFAHRSP_VDO_V20_XXXXXXXXX XXXX XXXX_____VWZ7Z0B6235392" EEPROM and of course I made changes responsible for PIN, VIN, IMMO etc. Next I used from blue connector Pin 6 and Pin 16 cause I have Passat W8 cluster. I removed and insulate the existing rear hatch wire from Pin 16 (brown/black cable) and I made changes in EEPROM values (VWK501MH software):
1E9 (originally A8) to A9
1F7 (originally 00) to 3B (or maybe should be 30? like incarvr6 mention above)
This one is still not changed so far:
1E6 (originally E1) to F1? (something about hatch signal?)
Now my questions:
a) should I change 1E6 value from E1 to F1? Exactly what is the purpose of this value? This one is responsible for hatch signal?
b) what about 1F7 value - should I left 3B or maybe change to 30 to avoid issue with speed difference? Coding in VCDS is set to: 31112
I appreciate for any suggestions.
Thank You.

Last edited:

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
For 0x1E6

C1 is normal Passat value

E1 is normal Golf value which seems to activate the hatch open signal

D1 is the Skoda value for adding the Headlight Range Motor Failure Warning with Bulb Check

This needs the Pin 21 Green wire connected to the Headlight Adjusting Motors and a resistor added to PC Board as detailed above.

If you analyse the binary of above values, you will see that you need a value of F1 on Golf to add this extra feature and turn on the relevant bit.

C1 = 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 1
D1 = 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 1
E1 = 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 1
F1 = 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 1

To activate on Passat, C1 value should become D1, on Golf, E1 should become F1

If you don't want to add this extra warning then use E1 value in your Golf.

:)

kabal

TDI
For 0x1E6
Headlight Range Motor Failure Warning

If you don't want to add this extra warning then use E1 value in your Golf.

Thanks for reply.
Now I get it :)

Nice future :) Hmm..How this Headlight Range Motor Failure Warning icon looks on VW FIS clusters? Is it something like this one from newer cars like Audi or Skoda? Or maybe one of the 393 relay warning icon on FIS?

kabal

TDI
On VW for this retrofit, it just uses the same as "Light Failure" warning icon and text.
Thanks for reply.

Understood.
To bad that this icon is the same..if it were different I would be tempted to install this mod :)

So far everything works fine after changing cluster.

Thanks ;)

vampp

TDI
golf mkiv
Hi, I'm from Spain.

I bought a box full fis passat that according to the reference is IMMO3 to put it in my golf iv.
Avia German download page and have it removed, one happens to me the EPROM or where I can download it?

vampp

TDI
golf mkiv
First, thanks for answering. My English is not very good, I hope you forgive me.

tacho reference is 3b0920846A

another question, when I put it in the car on the ESP tacho after flashing a little remains permanent. with old tacho this does not happen,

the eprom is the problem?

my e-mail- whordetron@gmail.com

Last edited:

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
That is very early Immo 3.

It does not have the hidden Car Status Menu. :)

I send email to you so you can send me copy of both EEPROMS

vampp

TDI
golf mkiv
ok, I have to go to the car to get the eeprom old tacho.
the tacho passat I introduced one eprom a golf iv is not going well.
I am sending now. thx

I have sent e-mail, the EPROM has set. now within 15 minutes I have to go to college tonight on the 10 control the eprom you the old tacho.

no, unfortunately does not have the tacho menu.

and I think it is not possible to activate the defective bulb

Last edited:

vampp

TDI
golf mkiv
What is part number of your Passat FIS please?

There are two different EEPROM versions.
It will be good not having hidden menu!

When you have low fuel the warning will stay on screen!

Hello, I just got home, I'll read the eprom tacho I had my car and we mail you a thousand thanks.

I just look at the 0x1E4 value and already had put 63 and failure remains the same.
alguan idea that happens to tacho?

thx:)

Last edited:

vampp

TDI
golf mkiv
hello, good morning friend.

the EPROM old tacho will not happen because I can not connect me, this spoiled, with eprom that works for now you passed me perfect all,
even sensors that hantes not going.

I discovered that the old esp light has a diode and the new tacho if you have,
that could be causing the problem.?

put 2 photos.

old tacho

new tacho

Last edited:

hremus

TDI
101 AXR
I know that is not the right topic, but I have a question. I have an 1J5 920 846C cluster. I know that at 1D2-1D3 are the frecvencies of the two sounds beep and ding. I read about 1D4-1D5 seems to be the volume. In my cluster I have a beep when I open the door(light on). I want to change this beep with ding. Is there anyone who knows hot to change, or maybe somebody who have this sound , can help me with a dump for comparation ?

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
No can do (easily) unfortunately.:(

The buzzer sound for the headlight warning is programmed into Micronas chip, not in EEPROM

It may be theoretically possible to patch the Micronas to swap the sound.

My friend who did the (now world famous :D ) needle sweep patch investigated this at the time.

It takes up too many patch engines (needed some for needle sweep for a start) and there is a quite complicated routine which inter-relates with some other functions of the cluster.

However saying that, we did find that the Passat New Lingyu cluster from China DOES actually make a chime sound instead of a buzzer from the factory.:cool:

Quite difficult to retrofit it, but not impossible.

The main issue is the LCD displays are 5mm higher than the normal Golf/Passat ones, so things have to be mechanically modified/plastic welded etc if you want to fit the gubbins into a Golf housing.

Lingyu cluster also does not have ANY 3LB circuitry inside, so that could be an issue as well if you want radio displays etc.

Lingyu cluster also has white illumination and a plug in FIS screen (not soldered to board) and the later Mk V style scales.

VN86KEN

TDI
passat B5.5 1.9 AVF
Hi, ok, I just finished the testing :D Success!!!

I replaced:

0x021B: EA --> E9
0x0223: 01 --> 3B

I realized by comparing 2 superb tachos with 2 passat tachos that the only difference was that SuperB ends with 9 and Passats ends with A... So I just changed one single bit there.

The other one, I directly accepted 3B, although a 3U0920840 with lamp failure functionality has 00 there (same as 3B0920845 without the functionality). I tested just leaving the 01 there and it didn't work... But I don't really want to affect any other bits. I will install this tacho during the week-end and I will test how it does or possible side effects. I prefer to find and change the exact bit.

I was also trying to find the AFS warning... but the tacho has an AC voltage on pin 21 (green connector), so I suspect that it must be any kind of lin-bus with the xenon leveler controller... I have a controller at home, and with the output-tests you can force to communicate with the tacho... But I will test that with the SuperB tacho (passat look) that is in the car right now.

The evidence!

Cheers!
Welcome 2022 :))
After reading a lot of pages and testing flashing eeproms , this working for 849A / VWK503MH clusters !!!
For 849A / VWK503MH clusters:
0x021B: EA --> E9
0x0223: 01 --> 3B
Then open vcds , go to instruments coding and add +8 value to activate Lights and brake lights failure warning ( in vcds pop-up info help , you don't see this coding! Is missing).

Last edited: