What is "Emissions Workshop" on 05 Passat 2.0 TDI Warning Eng Lite

greenjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI//2005 Passat GLS TDI
Started my 2005 Passat Wagen this morning and had an engine lite and "Emissions Workshop" on center console.

What is this. The car has 53,000 miles on it and it just completed its 50 K service. Any suggestions!!:confused: :mad:

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat, Stonehenge Gray, 2002 Black Golf 5M
Could be anything. You need to use vag com to scan for codes. I had this before on my Passat and one time it was the maf and the other time an egr fault. I found this out after using vag com to look at the codes...

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Basically the car is asking to be scanned so it can tell you what is wrong.
It is the same as a gradeschooler raising a hand in class, they both need attention, but the cause could be most anything.

Scan it and tell us what the code is....

Bill

greenjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks;

I do not have a VAG COM and the appt with the dealership is next week. Can it be scanned by any other business? I am located just west of Savannah Ga.

Souzafone

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 Jetta A4, Whitish
Most any autozone or advance auto parts can scan and give you a print out of any stored codes for free.

Scubanero

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
Mine turned out to be the O2 sensor. Coincided nicely with the brake light switch recall.

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Variant TDI Black w/Gray
greenjetta said:
Mine has passed the warranty time by 3,000 miles. How much was the Glow Plug and the 02 sensor?

Thanks
I also thought I had a 50K warranty. It turns out the engine warranty is 60K - you're still in the green!

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Variant TDI Black w/Gray
My crystal ball says the dealer will try to deny the warranty covers it, but only because most dealers prefer the owner to pay. I think they get paid at a higher rate from us than for VWOA warranty work.

But - if the engine light is illuminated I'd be curious how they could claim it's a 'body' problem. Read your warranty booklet carefully - I don't know if the warranty is only for internal parts or everything. Let us know how it works out for you.

Last edited:

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat, Stonehenge Gray, 2002 Black Golf 5M
Anything with the Emissions Workshop is covered by the 60k mile engine warranty. Don't let them get away with screwing you out of something they should cover.

greenjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
If Dlai and others are correct then I have been screwed, I was informed by the service representative that the problem was Glow Plugs. He recommended that all four be replaced. Becouse when one starts going bad then they all well.

I argued the warranty coverage and he stated fuel injectors and glow plugs are not covered under the warranty.

Becouse I have to travel such a long distance to the dealer and it is my wife's car, I said go-ahead. Total Bill is $435.00. I have spent over 1,200.00 since the warranty ran out. The car now has 54,035 miles.

I will make a complant to VOA but do not believe much will happen. Since I returned from Overseas 6 months ago I have lost confedence in this Dealer in Savannah, Ga. and VOA.

Is there someone on this Forum that has the VOA certified knowledge, to state if this is covered under the warranty? The last problem was a Oil leak through the Turbocharger.

Last edited:

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
I hope he bought you dinner first... :(

Fuel injectors are not a wear item. And they sure as ell shouldn't 'wear out' in 50kmiles.

greenjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
CORRECTION It was the Glow Plugs that were replaced. The Fuel Injectors are the problem with my 2001 Jetta TDI with almost 98,000 miles and the original Glow plugs.