An i the only one perhaps stuck with their tdi?

kwalsh24

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf 2dr (SOLD), 09 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
So long story short. I own a 09 sportwagen tdi vin#3VWKL81K09M268195 that according to the claims agent(s) isn't qualified for the recall / buyback. Called twice now and spoke to two rather unhelpful agents who barely spoke English. I purchased my car from a private car dealer out of Michigan, who bought the card he was selling in auction out of I believe was Switzerland. The car is 100% canadian spec (kph, French / English all over the car) and has been licensed in Canada since May 2011.

Is there anyone else out there that's in the same boat as myself?

I did get the rebate package ($500/$500 cards) only after fighting with vw Canada & then sending an email off to vw Germany which then has the head of customer relations vowing at my feet who then managed to get my car noticed by their 'system's to qualify it for the rebate package however appears that didn't qualify it for this recall / buy back.

Anyways rant / question over. Any insite would be greatly appreciated.

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Several different models. Selling them back to VW
They are correct, it does not qualify for the US settlement.

It's simple. Volkswagen is not required to make a vehicle meet US standards if they are not selling the car in the US.

It might qualify for a Canadian settlement, (if there is one) but I'm not up to speed on what the neighbors to the north have come up with.

kwalsh24

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry should have stayed that this is for the canadian settlement which just came to terms a few days ago.

Fancy yard ornament it will likely become. As where I live in Ontario there's bi-yearly emission tests, which mine expires in 2018. My guess is the government won't pass the car if it doesn't get the approved 'Fix' from vw (if one ever exists) from what i read on their settlement is that if no fix is made by 2018 a force buyback is enforced.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
One bit of info...know it Canada...but..
In the USA you can get the fix, and not be part of the settlement IF THERE​ IS ONE.
So if they do make a fix, you can likely get it do e for free, and have a car you can register and sell.

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf
Its not clear from your post where the car was bought by the first owner. You say its Canadian spec but you call it a Jetta SportsWagon in your profile (Canadian models are called Golf SportsWagens). Who sold it to the original owner is key here. If VW Canada sold it you get the Canadian Settlement, if VW US sold it you get the US settlement (and you get much more $!). If it really came from Switzerland you are going to have an issue.

Have you tried entering your VIN on the US site?

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Its not clear from your post where the car was bought by the first owner. You say its Canadian spec but you call it a Jetta SportsWagon in your profile (Canadian models are called Golf SportsWagens). Who sold it to the original owner is key here. If VW Canada sold it you get the Canadian Settlement, if VW US sold it you get the US settlement (and you get much more $!). If it really came from Switzerland you are going to have an issue.

Have you tried entering your VIN on the US site?
If I had to bet $$, I would guess it was bought by an individual in the military.
Know in the USA, cars typically sold to active military personnel overseas through the on base car sales can sometimes have odd title histories...often being first titled Switzerland, built to the individuals home country spec, then delivered to where they are assigned....
Guessing something like this might have happened here....
Know of a few cases when I was in the MINI world that folks would return to the USA, and MINI USA would say that a USA spec car was not covered under warranty without going up the corporate ladder...the USA corp did get credit for the sale, but was handled as a direct European delivery.
Still...you might be out if luck...but guessing that might explain your cars history.

Last edited:

kwalsh24

Veteran Member
TDI
I have the car fax, believe it said it was imported from Germany. Ill dig it up and post it. The car was bought at auction along with one other wagon and another sedan. I have a document from vw mexico stating the car was used as a test car for vw for *** distance (can't recall the exact millage recorded) and it mentioned something about it never being registered (not sure if it's meaning licences or registered with vw)

I've seen a few wjat look like 09 Jetta sportwagens on the highways here where I live in London. Also a couple in at the dealership where I would get my oil from. So there are others in Canada with jetta sportwagens vs the golf labeled sportwagens

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
If the car was originally sold in Europe, you're probably out of luck. The good news is you probably won't have any problem getting it registered.

kwalsh24

Veteran Member
TDI
It shouldn't matter where the car came from or sold from. Its still the same emmision frauding vehicle that's sold in North America. VW should be responsible for repairing the vehicle. Just another loophole for them to run and hide in.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
It shouldn't matter where the car came from or sold from. Its still the same emmision frauding vehicle that's sold in North America. VW should be responsible for repairing the vehicle. Just another loophole for them to run and hide in.
From your signature it sounds like you already took all the fraudulent emissions stuff out of the car...:rolleyes:

kwalsh24

Veteran Member
TDI
Lets see here... Just because my signature (which is about 4 years out dated) says what it says doesn't mean it's current. My car now has 253k on it, vs the 101 or whatever it lists. It has all the factory crap back on it as it needed to pass etest last year.

How about if you don't have anything to contribute to my question you just keep on moving along vs wasting your time responding ?

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
How about if you don't have anything to contribute to my question you just keep on moving along vs wasting your time responding ?
If you're acting like you're concerned about the emissions fraud, it's entirely relevant to point out that you've removed much of that gear, and thus apparently aren't nearly as concerned about the environment as you'd like to sound. And if your signature's out of date, whose fault is that?

But to your question, Eligible Vehicles under the U.S. settlement are only those that were originally sold in the U.S., and were registered there at least at some time between 9/18/15 (when the scandal broke) and 6/28/16 (when the settlement was released). I don't know the details of the Canadian settlement, but I'd expect it to be similar in that regard.

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
Lets see here... Just because my signature (which is about 4 years out dated) says what it says doesn't mean it's current. My car now has 253k on it, vs the 101 or whatever it lists. It has all the factory crap back on it as it needed to pass etest last year.

Wow.

Fix your sig!

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf
But to your question, Eligible Vehicles under the U.S. settlement are only those that were originally sold in the U.S., and were registered there at least at some time between 9/18/15 (when the scandal broke) and 6/28/16 (when the settlement was released). I don't know the details of the Canadian settlement, but I'd expect it to be similar in that regard.

I can't find any source for this but but I believe both US and Canadian claim administrators are now accepting claims from cars bought in 1 country and registered in the other. Key is where the original owner bought is where you claim.

Edit: this doesn't say anything about cars originally bought outside both countries which may be the OP situation ... but not clear.