Actual Purchases of 2015 Stop-Sale (NEW TDI's)

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Depreciation is significant, especially for new cars, but age is only one aspect of depreciation- and one which is seen most keenly with brand new cars. Mileage, condition, and desirability as determined by the market impact depreciation after the initial (and largest) depreciation loss of "driving it off the lot." A new owner of a 2015 may see an initial spike in depreciation as a factor of TCO if they sell the car soon after buying it, but depreciation doesn't accelerate because a previously untitled car is titled two years after production.

Depreciation is typically the largest factor in TCO of new cars, unless the longevity of the car reaches a point at which maintenance or fuel costs finally surpass depreciation. This is more of a knock against all new cars, not especially a new TDI. Fuel efficient cars typically see depreciation “outlast” other factors as the highest portion of TCO precisely because of their low fuel costs- but that's a good thing, since new cars with low fuel efficiency impact TCO with both depreciation and fuel costs. Even with a TDI, as Peter said above, keeping it long enough will result in fuel costs surpassing depreciation- which indicates how significant the fuel costs of a less efficient car can be. Again, the smart money is to buy a car with the least depreciation (low initial cost, no interest, and high resale value), all of which generally favor buying used. The somewhat unique situation with the new 2015 TDI's (where no previous title has been issued) creates a context where even frugal car buyers might bend their fiscal rules.

The current prospective TDI buyer is offered a new (untitled) 2015 TDI with discounts and/or a low/no interest rate. These address two of the issues that raise the TCO of buying a new car- how much so will depend on the specifics of each sale. There is no way around the depreciation hit on a new car, but TDIs generally compare favorably based on market resale value. The concern over paying "new car prices" on a 2015 vehicle, which may immediately have lower market value than a comparable 2017 vehicle, and result in a more immediate cost in depreciation, is valid- especially for those that will sell the vehicle in a time frame where the biggest depreciation "hit" will take place- which will be determined by the market place. Keeping the car longer (and using it more) will lower the cost of ownership per mile, and depreciation as a factor of TCO (after 10-15 years, for example) will likely not be impacted by the age difference of 2015 vs 2017. Of course, this evaluation is based on the history we have seen of resale values of TDIs over the last 20 years, and things could certainly change for owners who don’t keep their cars for the long term.

One suggestion is that a market change might apply to the 2015 TDIs in a positive way: Resale value might be improved by a lack of newer TDIs, by the advantages of the new engine, by the warranty, etc. etc. This is obviously speculation, but not unreasonable. It's important to note that "resale" value here has little to do with the owner's intention of selling the vehicle, I'm just using the term to evaluate depreciation cost (based on initial purchase costs minus remaining market value).

So, the 2015 TDIs present the same TCO concerns that any new car holds, with the exceptions noted above: A higher immediate depreciation cost due to the 2015 MY, and concerns over some unanticipated drop in resale value based on issues connected to the new engine or emissions. Why buy new then? Or more to the point, why buy one of these new 2015s? I think it all comes down to comparisons and buyer intent. Here I think the 2015 TDI offers some unique advantages:

If you want a new TDI, knowing that TCO for a new car is higher, and are willing to pay the higher costs for whatever reason, this may be the buyer's last chance to have a new TDI for some time. And, as said, the discounts and low/no financing costs offset some of the TCO connected to buying a new car, and history favors a higher resale value for the TDI, further offsetting depreciation. High fuel efficiency further lowers TCO, and high mileage use lowers cost per mile.

In terms of comparison, it's all about asking "compared to what?" As an example, where else can you get a small wagon with a 6 speed stick that holds a ton of stuff, gets outstanding fuel economy, and is a blast to drive? This is why TCO often does not serve as the bottom line in car buying decisions- some buyers will pay more for an untitled (new) TDI and take a small risk on the initial depreciation of a 2015 in order to drive a car they truly enjoy. And, as an aside, if they keep and maintain the car for the long term, their TCO is likely to be far under the national average- or under what they might have paid for other cars they were considering.[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Here's an first hand comparison about how depreciation can vary, and can work in the buyer or seller's favor.

I recently bought a 2011 BMW 335d. Six model years old, 48K miles. As best I can determine MSRP was a bit over $50K. I paid $15,900 with a new adblue tank, NOX sensors ($1280), and tires. That's less than 30% of what it cost new. Lots of depreciation on the first owner (lease then buyout) but odds are those losses were buried in lease payments and s/he didn't notice.

Second example: I bought IBW new in May, 2002. It cost $18,004 after discounts. I think it's fair to estimate I could get close to $6K for it today in its current condition. That's 30% of what I paid, and a higher percentage of retained value than the 6 year old BMW. And IBW has 347K miles on it.

Relative to at least one other car, the TDI seems to have held its value pretty well.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
HSK,

What an excellent post!

Two things:

1) That was a thoughtful, intelligent, analytical discussion of the issue at hand.

2) I agree with 100% of what you said.

Very good to see posts like that. Thank you, sir.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
DieselM-

Thanks! If you enjoy discussions of TCO, or want to look deeper into some of the actual numbers, check out my TCO thread on my '03 TDI. I plan to add on to it before the "5 year" update, by comparing my '03 (purchased new) to my wife's '03 (purchased used) to have a closer look at how similar cars, driven and maintained in a similar manner, differ in TCO based on initial costs. It should be fun!

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=400753

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
I assume "TCO" means Total Cost of Ownership?

I'll take a look at the other thread.

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
Just signed the paperwork on a Sportswagen S 6MT, got a total of 7K off msrp for a before tax and fees price of $25725-7000=$18,725 only issue its RED :eek:
Also included is an extended engine/drive train extended warranty for 10 years 100,000 miles.
Other than the color I am totally satisfied. Really wanted either the dark gray or a night/ silk blue colors but they can't be found in manual.

TDI
On my 3rd TDI currently a 15 Passat TDI just released after the stop sale.
Parked my 15 Passat SE w 70K (69,9) and got a new 15

Pulled the trigger yesterday local dealer in CT had only SEL's and I dont need the bells and whistles , found a SE in NJ after tax etc 28 and change.

However, milage on inaugural run was a little lower that my expectations I would have averages 55-60 given outside temp and traffic conditions but I struggled to achieve 51-2

I know milage will be impacted a little just hoping its because its the first big run (60 miles)

Current SE is parked in NJ waiting for an appointment then its all over.

Yawiney

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW DSG
Went for the Silk Blue GSW S model, DSG. I called almost every dealer in CA and southern OR for Platinum Grey, Silver or Silk Blue. "Out the Door" prices quoted over the phone were between 23.9 and 25k after much negotiation. The only Grey was a $200 flight, and 800 mi drive back. There were 2 Silvers each 2 hours away and 1 Silk Blue 45 min away.
To all who are in the market do tell them you will walk if the numbers change when you get there. Dealers can talk circles around you about stuff you the average person doesn't understand explaining how after being quoted one out the door price it's now more$.

Ended up after almost walking getting them back to the original quote of 24.9 for a finance and then got talked into a lease which will total 24.3 with interest and the extra rebate.
Pretty sure the dealer is getting most of the extra 3.5k from the rebate because my interest rate is only 1%. But i save 600$.

EDIT: They told me i have to pay all the interest whether i buy it out right away or wait till the end. Didn't know it worked that way?

Last edited:

davidlp

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen 2015 Blue Silk
Interesting on the lease, as I was about to post a question, which I will do as a new thread as I think it merits a standalone topic. I picked up a GSW S on Friday, blue silk, beige, DSG. I was going to fix my 2015, but just last week belatedly learned of the stop-sale cars being available. The funny thing is the new one is identical in every way except for the transmission. My current one has 45k miles on it in 20 months, was looking at $500 for new tires soon, out of base warranty, etc., so the $5k or $8.5k off made an easier decision. I've had VWs for 37 years and this was the first automatic. I guess I am getting to a point where slogging a stick, especially since I've moved to an area with a lot of stop-and-go traffic, no longer appeals to me.

arcaidy

TDI
2015 GSW
EDIT: They told me i have to pay all the interest whether i buy it out right away or wait till the end. Didn't know it worked that way?
When I checked the pay off option for my lease it told me how much "rent fee" I'd save if paid off today. I don't know what the "rent fee" includes juts how much it was.

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
flew out to Albany last Thursday night and picked up a White over beige GSW 6MT (S) in Oneonta NY on Friday. Very happy with the acceleration, and achieved an average of 49.2 mpg travelling at 74 mph for approx. 730 miles back home.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I used to buy parts for my '67 Bug at that dealer in Oneonta when I was in school there. That wasn't recently. :D

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
Here's an first hand comparison about how depreciation can vary, and can work in the buyer or seller's favor.

I recently bought a 2011 BMW 335d. Six model years old, 48K miles. As best I can determine MSRP was a bit over $50K. I paid $15,900 with a new adblue tank, NOX sensors ($1280), and tires. That's less than 30% of what it cost new. Lots of depreciation on the first owner (lease then buyout) but odds are those losses were buried in lease payments and s/he didn't notice.

Second example: I bought IBW new in May, 2002. It cost $18,004 after discounts. I think it's fair to estimate I could get close to $6K for it today in its current condition. That's 30% of what I paid, and a higher percentage of retained value than the 6 year old BMW. And IBW has 347K miles on it.

Relative to at least one other car, the TDI seems to have held its value pretty well.
I don't think this is completely fair. The BMW is a sedan and more/less stock, despite the replaced "wear parts" that given it's heritage, are expensive and likely haven't been replaced yet. We all know that the buyer's wallet drops at the curb when you leave a BMW (or Audi) dealer with a brand new car. *This is not the case when I am shopping for a used one, however.*

On the other hand, IBW is a handsome small wagon, highly modified with a good bit of New England life intervention. If the average person got to the dealer before you, it wouldn't be worth anything near $6K.

TDIs have value to people who appreciate the package. To your point, IBW has held its value very well, because it's a unique shape/size, very good looking, very** fun to drive. I see 3-series BMWs-literally-before I get out of bed. If you did this comparo with an '02 Golf or Jetta--while they are for the most part fantastic cars--the valuations may be more aligned.

**understatement

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Possibly. But I have a co-worker who's struggling to get $1,500 for a 2002 1.8T Jetta Sedan with 170K on it. A comparable TDI would easily be worth twice that.

ssffnomad

Veteran Member
TDI
2015, GSW, S, TDI, 6MT. 5/2017
Had a bead on that white S in Oneonta two weeks ago. Then one opened up in Albany , 30 miles away.
Glad you grabbed it. Enjoy.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Went for the Silk Blue GSW S model, DSG. I called almost every dealer in CA and southern OR for Platinum Grey, Silver or Silk Blue. "Out the Door" prices quoted over the phone were between 23.9 and 25k after much negotiation. The only Grey was a $200 flight, and 800 mi drive back. There were 2 Silvers each 2 hours away and 1 Silk Blue 45 min away.

To all who are in the market do tell them you will walk if the numbers change when you get there. Dealers can talk circles around you about stuff you the average person doesn't understand explaining how after being quoted one out the door price it's now more$.

Ended up after almost walking getting them back to the original quote of 24.9 for a finance and then got talked into a lease which will total 24.3 with interest and the extra rebate.

Pretty sure the dealer is getting most of the extra 3.5k from the rebate because my interest rate is only 1%. But i save 600$.

Last three cars I bought, I had them delivered to the drive way. No deposit, no Credit Card.

Both parties (three dealers -- me them) had a "written" (via Email) understanding.

IMO, most dealers that will not do "A" delivered to your home (OTD PRICE) car, will most likely sing the "Texas two step" if you go to the showroom.

nburg

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen SE 6MT & 2004 Golf TDI 4door 5 speed 273K
I just got a GSW SE 6 speed manual from VW of Kingston, ny. I paid sticker price minus the rebate and 0% for 72. I love it so far, it had 148 miles on it when I picked it up. It was only the third 2015 they sold so far, only the third they have had available but they told me they have 60 in stock but mine was only 1 out of maybe 5 that are stick shift. They are rolling theirs out slow. Big difference from my 2004 Golf TDI, everything is a lot smoother.

Last edited:

Scongiundi

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI (6spd manual), 2015 Jetta TDI SE (6spd manual)
I just got my newly purchased '15 Jetta TDI SE (6spd manual) delivered straight to my driveway from Albuquerque, NM. $5k off and 0% APR. Did everything over the phone. They overnighted the papers to me for me to sign, and I overnighted them back.

So far, it's been a great car! Will be replacing my current '13 Jetta TDI, 6spd manual.

Last edited:

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I just got my newly purchased '15 Jetta TDI SE (6spd manual) delivered straight to my driveway from Albuquerque, NM.

$5k off and 0% APR. Did everything over the phone. They overnighted the papers to me for me to sign, and I overnighted them back.

So far, it's been a great car! Will be replacing my current '13 Jetta TDI, 6spd manual.
A man after my own heart. Way to go ~~ ;)

vwny

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Picking up my Passat SE 15 tdi tomorrow. Grey, black interior. Manual. It took about a week to finally get it from the time of deposit, but they are being very careful about releasing them, they want everything to be perfect. Fine by me. So excited! I miss my jetta too.

giuseppe_b

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen SE 6MT
I just got my newly purchased '15 Jetta TDI SE (6spd manual) delivered straight to my driveway from Albuquerque, NM. $5k off and 0% APR. Did everything over the phone. They overnighted the papers to me for me to sign, and I overnighted them back.

Is it moon rock silver? I drove that one back on 4/29, it is a beauty and I almost bought it but this time round I'm aiming for the wagon.
I'm surprised it was there this long.
How long did it take to ship?

Yawiney

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW DSG
When I checked the pay off option for my lease it told me how much "rent fee" I'd save if paid off today. I don't know what the "rent fee" includes juts how much it was.
Pretty sure that's different than the interest. I hope i can save paying it by buying out early though. Mine is 812$.

Scongiundi

TDI
Is it moon rock silver? I drove that one back on 4/29, it is a beauty and I almost bought it but this time round I'm aiming for the wagon.
I'm surprised it was there this long.
How long did it take to ship?
It is indeed the moon rock silver one. I am surprised it made it that long, too, but I was searching a week before for TDIs, and it never showed up in my search. A week later it randomly showed up in the same search, and I scooped it up immediately.

It took almost 48 hours to ship, although the truck driver was willing to deliver in 36 hrs. We scheduled for the following morning, which is why it took longer.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It is indeed the moon rock silver one. I am surprised it made it that long, too, but I was searching a week before for TDIs, and it never showed up in my search. A week later it randomly showed up in the same search, and I scooped it up immediately.

It took almost 48 hours to ship, although the truck driver was willing to deliver in 36 hrs. We scheduled for the following morning, which is why it took longer.
Question please.

How was the shipping cost figured into the cost of buying?

I bought my 2015 VW Golf S back in 2015. Got a nice discount, ($4,000) but had to add on $500 to get it delivered (approx) 365 miles to Tulsa

Would rather have bought local, but they had only the SEL and SE Golf and the Launch manual shift

Scongiundi

TDI
Question please.

How was the shipping cost figured into the cost of buying?

I bought my 2015 VW Golf S back in 2015. Got a nice discount, ($4,000) but had to add on $500 to get it delivered (approx) 365 miles to Tulsa

Would rather have bought local, but they had only the SEL and SE Golf and the Launch manual shift
Shipping was not factored in. It cost me $650 to ship. Would have purchased locally too but there were no manual SEs or SELs near me.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
You know you purchased your '15 ahead of actual need when, with 800 miles on the car, you have it detailed, put it in the garage, and hook up a battery tender. And keep driving your ALH Wagon. Sometimes the pleasure is in having, not using.

wetskier2000

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone: 05 Jetta GLS Wagon Current: 2015 GSW SEL 6MT
You know you purchased your '15 ahead of actual need when, with 800 miles on the car, you have it detailed, put it in the garage, and hook up a battery tender. And keep driving your ALH Wagon. Sometimes the pleasure is in having, not using.
You should let it rest *another* two years. :D

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
GAD

Although mine is 21 months old, I have some similar feelings as I let it set in the garage, as I just don't need to drive it today.:rolleyes:

tonestar

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf TDI (Canadian Import) 5 Speed, 2015 Golf TDI SE DSG, 2015 Jetta TDI SE (connectivity) DSG
Driving my BEW daily ?