2004 Passat TDI Wagon build - Manual swap, tune...

duteman2

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 GOLF, '04 Passat Wagon, 5-speed, BSD, our 8th. and 9th. TDI's
That's not how project cars work :p
Best of luck with the build!
LOL! Reflecting on your comment... as I get older I realize that some work is best farmed out to a professional, and Mike McCann is all that. I now know and accept that when it comes to projects I'm like a Crow with Shiny Objects! Lately, if I have any hope of getting something done, I need to either Retire or have some help. Retirement is a few years off, so, off to Mike's it is.
Shiny objects... There are two project car's in my garage, a VETTE, (my Wife's project...) a BMW CS coupe... to receive a M-motor transplant... a Classic BARTH Diesel Motor Coach in the driveway, (Mario Andretti had one just like it, back in the day FWIW!) another Passat 4Motion wagon on the other half of the driveway that just MIGHT become a TDI Manual car, a '03 BORA 5-spd TDI Wagon on the way, a boat in the backyard... and so it goes. My pattern is consistent. I usually buy something in "decent shape" with "great potential". Over the years, I've completed many, traded off a few half-completed, never got around to only one or two. No too bad. Then again, I'll buy things like my fishing boat, a beautiful Time Capsule, 16' Starcraft... little aluminum boat with a 20 horse Johnson. The thing sat in a shop for the last 20 years, it's elderly owner, an Engineer by trade, passed and left it with a friend, who never used it. Once the fuel system was re-built, that Johnson just purrs. HOWEVER... I just HAD TO "MAKE IT A PROJECT"... and bought a parts motor with a starter, found NOS cables and solenoid box... and I'm making it an electric-start with pull-starter. This weekend, I hope... I just can't help myself. ...and so it goes... Bottom Line, this IS going to be on the road BEFORE AUGUST! (You heard it here, folks...) UPDATE: That boat project... the electric starter... is done. Now
I just need time to go fishin'!

Last edited:

duteman2

Veteran Member
TDI
Parts are here... all the used parts look awesome, Frans came through for sure...

Clutch parts, SACHS...

...with part numbers...

...Auto out...

...DMF in...

...Clutch in...

Last edited:

duteman2

Veteran Member
TDI
It's a five speed!

Yes sir! Transmission in, clutch working... ECU and Tuning next, final assembly/test... Almost good to go! And it's not quite May!

igiveup

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat, 2009 Jetta
Sorry to hijack your thread with another clutch question. I've been collecting all the bits to do a conversion. Trying to do it on the cheap (because I'm a cheap bastard). Have a couple clutch options at my local yard. I'll be using a DUK transmission. They have a clutch from a 5-speed passat 1.8T and a clutch from a 6-speed A4. Will either one work?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I've a stage 1.5 6spd BHW, went with the 240mm DMF / Sachs race clutch from RyanP. I'm up to 140k km on the conversion, and no issues with the DMF. No issues with slippage either.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Yes, very slight - about 1/4"

EDIT - looked at them side by side today - they're about 1" different left to right.

Last edited:

duteman2

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey, Cheap is good! I used to have the time to do all my own work, but am just too darn busy. Going to retire soon, though, so I might just start collecting bits to do the 4Motion Wagon I have in the other thread... lot's of looks, all tire-kickers. Can't really afford to do it, but I can store it for a while...

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
You're going to make me eat those words at this rate. Keep up the good work!

That 4 motion build is going to be even better, should be plenty of fun in the winter.

igiveup

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat, 2009 Jetta
Thanks QuickTD, still questioning the spacer requirement to use the 240mm clutch.
The DUK transmission is from the V6 that has a 240mm flywheel already.
Does the position of the flywheel end up deeper in the bell housing when bolted to a TDI?

duteman2

Veteran Member
TDI
You're going to make me eat those words at this rate. Keep up the good work!

That 4 motion build is going to be even better, should be plenty of fun in the winter.
He he! Yeah, well, it helps to pay a professional! Projects seem to go a lot faster that way!

d0u8l3m

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 Passat
Yup...this made me finally pull the trigger on a swap kit from Frans, got a DUK trans inbound with a sachs dual mass flywheel and SRE (sachs race engineering?) performance clutch kit. Gonna throw a malone stage 2 on it as well.

Wanted to get a BV43 too but $$$$ haha

I hope Mike dosn't mind doing the same job over again :D

50mpgtdi

TDI
04 VW Passat TDI
I'm also interested in the cost of the kit/related parts. I just bought a 2004 Passat TDI that has some shifting issues and I'm leaning towards a manual conversion.

duteman2

Veteran Member
TDI
Yup...this made me finally pull the trigger on a swap kit from Frans, got a DUK trans inbound with a sachs dual mass flywheel and SRE (sachs race engineering?) performance clutch kit. Gonna throw a malone stage 2 on it as well.

Wanted to get a BV43 too but $$$$ haha

I hope Mike dosn't mind doing the same job over again :D
I'm sure Mike would be happy to do it. The biggest expense was the balance shaft delete, easily doubled the cost of the job. Worth it, though. Cheap insurance, IMHO. Mikes labor for the tranny swap was under $900.00, and this included removal of the auto, install of the parts from Frans... clutch, pedal kit, shifter, axles. Obviously your costs will be more than that but you can control that somewhat depending on what your choices are. I went for a heavy duty clutch kit because I went with a Malone stage 2 tune. I could have saved close to a grand by not tuning it, getting a standard clutch set up. Again, YMMV!

duteman2

Veteran Member
TDI
The total for me, including the price of the car, is so far just under 8k. Parts sourced from Frans, and some supplied by me, like the springs and Koni's that I got on sale, etc. Labor by Mike McCann. I'll post a detailed accounting when I get the car in my regular rotation, commute with it a while, sort it out...

50mpgtdi

TDI
04 VW Passat TDI
Well, I'm capable of doing the labor myself, I'm more interested in the cost of the parts, just for the transmission and related parts for the conversion.

duteman2

Veteran Member
TDI
I have no doubt the transmission swap/clutch job could be done for well under half of what I have into the car... doing the labor yourself, leaving suspension stock, no tune, etc. There are savings to be had, for sure. I can imagine that there are more than a few people out there who have maintained their car well, perhaps a balance shaft delete, perhaps a cam... and find that their automatic transmission is failing. Perhaps failing for a second time. If they don't mind shifting, that car would be a perfect candidate. Once the auto is gone, the car becomes a different creature! One I'm hoping to live with for at least another ten years. Anyway, YMMV!

duteman2

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, I'm capable of doing the labor myself, I'm more interested in the cost of the parts, just for the transmission and related parts for the conversion.
I had shopped around for parts locally, considered a loaner car, junkyard parts, etc. The "Kit" from Frans was the way I eventually went. All his stuff was top quality, minor logistical snafu and we did have to source one small part locally, but the transmission and pedal parts were in great condition. Clean, not rusty junkyard stuff. All parts were there, nothing left out, ready to install. His experience with clutch components is considerable and appreciated. For me, it was worth it.

duteman2

Veteran Member
TDI
Also... there are choices to be made regarding the transmission... a six speed is available, but the costs are considerably more as crank and flywheel issues need to be considered. This can add to your costs, but, if you want that ultimate shifting hi-way cruiser, and money is no object, that's the way to go. That would create a rare beast indeed. There are many discussions on this forum regarding ratios, transmission types, etc. I studied this forum for quite some time so that I would know the questions to ask more experienced people. I think Frans appreciated that, as did Mike McCann. "An educated consiumer"... and all that... I went with the more readily available and known-reliable DUK. The hi-gear ratios were acceptable, and the cost was reasonable. YMMV.

50mpgtdi

TDI
04 VW Passat TDI
So this swap can be done without a tune? I thought it was required to avoid throttle hang? Also, any idea what the torque holding capacity is on that clutch kit? I would like to do some looking around to see if I can find something just as capable, but a little more budget friendly. I looked around at a few salvage yards locally and I can get everything else I need but the flywheel/clutch for around $500. Given, that's settling for a v6 transmission, but budget is the most important thing for me in being able to get the car back on the road, and I have to spend funds on BSM delete and a timing belt kit.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
In addition to the throttle hang, the dash and info display lights up like a christmas tree - ABS light, ASR light, check engine light, Emissions workshop message if you don't get them tuned out.

It would be painful to drive at night with all those lights on...

Last edited:

50mpgtdi

TDI
04 VW Passat TDI
Haha! Fair enough! That would be terrible! So what is the cost of having those things tuned out? Is there an additional cost to getting a stage 2 tune from malone if it is done at the same time?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
My understanding that the auto-delete only tune is cheaper, but what's the fun in that?

Send an email to malone, or PM Owain to get an answer for certain.