Smallest wheels that will fit a 2014 Beetle?

opsx

TDI
tdi
Does anyone know what the smallest wheels are that will fit a 2014 TDI? I know in Europe they had a 6.5Jx16 ET44 so a 16"

Would that work on a US model? (ie clear the brakes) Thanks.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The current Beetle is based on the NCS Jetta, which uses much of the same mechanicals (including brakes) as the A5/A6 Golf/Jetta. So you should be able to bolt on the same 15" steel wheels that the base model Jetta S and stripper Rabbits came with, wrapped in 196-65-15-91H tires.

It would probably look kind of silly though.

opsx

TDI
tdi
The current Beetle is based on the NCS Jetta, which uses much of the same mechanicals (including brakes) as the A5/A6 Golf/Jetta. So you should be able to bolt on the same 15" steel wheels that the base model Jetta S and stripper Rabbits came with, wrapped in 196-65-15-91H tires.

It would probably look kind of silly though.
Thanks for your insight! I imagine a 215/65R 16 will fit too, but look a bit strange?

oilhammer

TDI
Well I think it is simply a case of what wheels were designed for the car regarding looks. Which is of course subjective.

I put some 15" steel wheels with snow tires on my '05 New Beetle (that had 16" standard) and it looked a bit goofy. But the mechanicals didn't care, since it is the same as a 4th gen Golf/Jetta underneath, and all those used the same 15" wheels as standard.

What is the context of your question? What are you trying to accomplish? At this point, 16" wheels and tires are very common, and easily obtained.

opsx

TDI
tdi
Just thinking of getting some old 16" rims used from a different VW and using them with snow tires. I just want to make sure there wont be any rubbing or anything mechanically problematic to doing it but it sounds like it should be fine.

oilhammer

TDI
Check to see what tire rack has on offer. You may find it better to just use 16" wheels/snows anyway, regardless of if a 15" will fit or not.